Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recurring rodent issue - what should landlord be doing?

Options
  • 02-11-2021 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all. I live in a row of terraced houses all owned by the same landlord (a housing scheme owned by a company so the landlords are a board of directors).

We have had mice in the attic for the last three winters and they are back again. I hired pest control who said they are getting in via a neighbouring attic so can't solve the problem.

To date the landlords solution has been to lay poison and place electrical deterrents. They also sent a note around to all the houses to say not to put food out for birds as it's attracting rats and mice (rats are in the gardens not the houses).

Are the landlords actions sufficient?

All advice appreciated even if it's just a "learn to live with it" approach :)

Post edited by CivilCybil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I dont know about the landlords responsiblities but I have found electrical deterrants dont do much if anything and snap traps are more effective, so you could try that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Electric deterrents rarely work, or work for long. Looking for and closing entry points is something else I'd expect to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unfortunately in some housing associations, rodent control is a tenant responsibility. If the tenants of the place where they are getting access don't care, the HA cannot force them to give access.

First step: talk to your neighbours and encourage them all to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its like the one child in the class who parents wont treat head lice.

Nothing you can do expect treat your own child every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just a thought, have you and the neighbours considered putting traps in your attics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is there a landlord or landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

As has been suggested mice are easy enough catch with traps it may take time but worth putting as many as you can up in the attic .But closing the entry will ultimately have to done .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Been living in my own home 20 years and without fail, every Sept / Oct mice come in and Jan / Feb seems also to be another time they migrate.

Used to employ pest control company but costs were crazy

So my recommendation is buy some lengths of wavin pipes, put some poison in to the middle of each one.

For attic just lay them up there and check the poison every few days.

Also you’d also need to secure the perimeter of your house where possible.

Wedge the pipes behind heavy objects outside around the perimeter.

(Make sure pets can’t get at them or move them)

Or else buy the secure boxes for outside.

Keep traps set inside to get rid of any little buggers in residence.

And once you’ve got them out invest in the sonic deterrents they use for food warehouses.

Not the little plug in jobs that go directly into the socket. They’re useless.

Be advised once they eat the poison they go mad to drink water.

So keep an eye on your water pipes.

I had mice eat through a pipe at the back of my dishwasher, flooded the kitchen and floor needed replacing.

But we were away at the time so that could have been prevented.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Landlords should really allow pets. Cats are great at this kind of job.

Advertisement