Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finishing a 7 Day Fast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are you referring to exactly?

There are many reasons to lose muscle mass. A part of the aging process for one, sarcopenia. But thats not really related to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Exactly muscle loss could happens for variety of reasons one is constant over eating specially low quality food.

There is distinctive differences between starvation and fasting. And if you initiate fasting with full set of nutrients for the first 4 to 7 days there is no muscle loss; human body have enough materials to work with.

And as of yet, nobody has presented a well-designed study that shows any muscle loss resulting from fasting. On the other hand, in a meta-analysis done at Johns Hopkins, researchers found that fasting led to better muscle retention than traditional reduced-calorie dieting.

Article published on bodybuilding.com and muscle and fitness magazine perhaps you want read.

Search on Google for

What One Lifter Learned from Not Eating for 60 Hours

Post edited by GoogleBot on

Exactly muscle loss could happens for variety of reasons one is constant over eating specially low quality food.

The fact that muscle loss occurs in other situations like old age is irrelevant to the topic really. But undereating is much more conducive to muscle loss than overeating - although that has its own issues, obviously.

There is distinctive differences between starvation and fasting. And if you initiate fasting with full set of nutrients for the first 4 to 7 days there is no muscle loss; human body have enough materials to work with.

What's the difference between a 7 day fast and starving for 7 days? Same questions for 28 days?

If you had enough nutrition stored for a fast, yes there would be no muscle loss. The problem is that we have limited stored energy, and the energy requirements for 7 days are beyond those stores. Plus we also have protein needs - cell regeneration, hair, skin etc.

And as of yet, nobody has presented a well-designed study that shows any muscle loss resulting from fasting. On the other hand, in a meta-analysis done at Johns Hopkins, researchers found that fasting led to better muscle retention than traditional reduced-calorie dieting.

Article published on bodybuilding.com and muscle and fitness magazine perhaps you want read.

Search on Google for What One Lifter Learned from Not Eating for 60 Hours

No study shows lean mass loss? Have you actually looked into that? or are you just quoting that bodybuilding.com article? Because it not accurate. In fact, the Johns Hopkins meta-analysis referenced lists multiple studies that show lean mass loss when fasting. His own source proved him wrong, not a good start. He's next claim about better muscle retention than traditional reduced-calorie dieting is also incorrect. If you actually read the meta analysis, it's looking at VCLDs - which is 800 cals or less a day - not normal dieting. VLCDs are awful for the exact same reasons. It literally proves my point that too large a deficit can't by covered by fat store, and muscle loss occurs.

I did read the article, thanks for providing. Bodybuilding.com is not a great source imo. Some of it is valid, such as the parts about autophage and the apparent benefits to fasting. But some is just clickbait (eg meta-analysis above). The guy seems muscle building focused. He may well have seen benefits to his fast. But his fast is very different to a 7 day water fast.

The did a 2 day fast, not 7 days. Massive difference as muscle glycogen stores will buffer catabolism for a 1-2 days until they are depleted (he kept activity down and took fasted naps). Plus, he wasn't consuming nothing. He was eating bone broth and exogenous ketones multiple times a day. That's going to provide both energy and protein.

Right all i am into gyming and building muscle.

I have done a 5 day fast in the past. So I have now started an attempted 7 day as I want to heal a few running niggles and I like the fact it can eradicate pre cancerous cells.

So as I type I am into day 2, 39 hours in. Yesterday was tough but today I am not feeling the hunger like yesterday.

I will keep ye posted if I make it to Friday morning. I am taking a multivitamin and zma as I don't want to deplete vitamins. I am drinking plenty of water, max 2 coffees and I will have a herbal tea before bed

Well done. if you had balance diet before hand For 5-7 days fast you won't be depleted of vitamins. What you would probably need is electrolytes.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would healthy enough bar the late evening snacks.

Good point about electrolytes, ill put a pinch of himalayan pink salt into my water

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭KurtBarlow

That depends on how fat a person is. a person that's 100lbs overweight can liberate much more fat per hour than someone that's only 10lbs overweight

Can I ask why you only supplemented with Himalayan pink salt. Potassium and Sodium are the 2 most important electrolytes in the body . Himalayan pink salt only takes care of your Sodium needs but does nothing for your Potassium chloride needs. Potassium is very important for the electrical function of the heart . You also require these 2 salts to prevent the risk of refeeding syndrome but that's a low risk and only happens on very long fasts and people that are down to very low bodyfat levels

I rather be more curious if carbs are prime fuel why body store energy as fat ?

• Advertisement

people do prolong fasting 20 days onwards to cure certain medical issues.

No you can't avoid muscle loss at that stage but good news you will lose very little only what is require for body maintenance . Did you ever tried 3 days fast tons of benefits and no muscle loss on that : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well I think this is an awful lot of nonsense.

If your intention is to loose weight then you have to get into new habits. That means figuring out the things you are going to eat in place of what you have to give up or drastically reduce, and doing it.

The sooner you start doing that the better and fasting is just putting it off...for 7 days.

You won't learn anything new in those 7 days. You are just delaying what you have to do.

Also, you do get into a habit of not eating which as you've said you get used to after a couple of days, but then 5 days later you ditch that habit again to start a new habits, so you have to start the whole process of starting a new habit again.

1/2 days max fasting is not a terrible idea if you are so addicted to sugar and carbs, a mini reset, for those that are finding it impossible to make gradual changes. But 7 days is totally unnecessary. You'll give yourself a food disorder if you carry on like that doing extreme things.

Yes. They would have two different individual limits based on wildly different fat levels.

I think human body "liberate" fat according to energy demand. Fat person usually burn less energy in general.

Thru the evolution humans as many other mamals were adapted to regular fasting and/or starvation. I don't think fasting for 7 days gives food disorder. Unless you get attracted to low quality processed food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In itself it won't. But it's the mentality of doing extreme things that will.

Extreme? Looking at the Bible invites people to fast number of times per year. Looking at the scientific evidence; fasting comes together with longevity and is the only mechanism to properly reset endocrine system.

I think book based on personal experience and observations. Interesting to read many valid points but I wouldn't agree with author 100%.

For instance he said

"...It can increase to match the needs created by dieting and exercise, but even

during exercise, higher energy needs simply cannot be met by fat (which is why we rely

primarily on carbohydrate during high intensity exercise). "

Obviously author never experienced ketogenic diet with 0 carbs otherwise he would know that once you have "adapted" you have far more energy available. I remember beign on 0 carbs (except from green veg) diet i never had enough time in the gym, want to keep going on and on. And even during the day I could randomly go for pushups and sometime that much energy annoyed me tbh.

• Advertisement

Hes not talking about specific exercise related fuel needs but requirements over an entire day . For example you could lie in bed all day and do nothing but your still going to lose weight if you eat under your maintenance.Doing this would be so much easier for a fat person because they have such a large reserve of fat. A person's biggest draw from calories isn't the 1 or 2 hours of exercise you might do but the amount of calories your body needs to sustain itself in a 24 hour period . Its much tougher for a 190lb guy at 12% body fat to go on a large deficit compared to a 250lb guy at 35% body fat. The first guy needs to eat every so slightly below maintenance or even at maintenance and use extra exercise to bring him into a deficit . The 250lb guy can cut very aggressively because he has so much fat available to make up for such a deficit . Exercise volume can be low because the deficit in his calories is so large . I'm sure with a Masters in Exercise in Nutrition and Exercise science he knows about Keto. There's nothing wrong with Keto if that's how one truly likes to eat however it's not 'The way' People that enjoy carbs can get just As good results . People get so dogmatic about diet that's it's almost like a religion. It's borderline food orthorexia

Couldn't agree more. If no fat left to burn for energy the body might go into panic mode. But I don't think author ever experienced ketogenic diet otherwise he wouldn't make statements that you need carbs for exercise.

orthorexia? We are made to be addicted to variety of things incl. food.

But what I have noticed with fasting is that I could temporarily take control over the body and mind. Feels bit of superhuman

Advertisement