Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight Mass - Netflix

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Same here. Overall I enjoyed the show but some of the long drawn out conversations put me to sleep literally...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Found this very enjoyable. Reminded me of Salems Lot. The FX was handled very well. I couldn’t tell if it was a costume or CGI. I definitely think the ending was conclusive enough to say he was brown bread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really enjoyed it, had no clue what it was about when I started it, felt a good few references to Stephen King and I liked that. Very different show, 8/10 from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Costume? I just presumed Bev Keane was wearing typical robes for mass; oh wait... wait. You mean the other monster in the show 😎

TBF, if I had to be locked in a room with one, I’d choose the monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The 'angelic' beast- as the source of healing, and even of resurrection- was full of this 'elixir of life', and would have been capable of self-healing, surely. As to the question of reaching the mainland, it doesn't need to get there; all it needs- as luck might have it- is to find a boat along its route. It could sleep below deck out of the sun. The crew would also have made a tasty snack.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought this was excellent. The slow burn towards the end worked very well for me and I thought the long conversations about death, what's next and how their various views of the world reflect on that were great. The production elements were superb and the acting was very strong with Hamish Linklater really standing out. He'll probably get overlooked by the lazy Emmy voters but at least we got to see this performance.

I'm very interested in seeing what Flanagan does next after giving this and 'The Haunting of Hill House' (he didn't really have as much involvement with Bly Manor).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the Good Dialogue Scene is a lost art, and this series really showboated how magnetic sitting in on a conversation can be. As you said, the one about Death was magnetic, but not irrelevant either. It had a place within the overall story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Well....finished watching this and it is a stunning bit of television. It's a hard sell when trying to recommend to anyone because it is not the usual heavily laden cgi, action with nothing else, mind-numbing formula. It is indeed a proper adult show with great symbolism throughout and captured brilliantly in the final episode. I fear anything i watch now will pale in significance. Superb individual performances from Linklater and Siegel, joined by a talented and well scripted support cast.

Never heard of Mike Flanagan but I've just searched for more works from him and have The Haunting of Hill House Season 1 open in another tab which i'm about to pull the trigger on.

Would love to see Flanagan try take on The Dark Tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bit late to the party on this, but I watched it in one sitting last night. Felt it was very good. Slow moving, for sure, and filled with long passages of dialogue. But it's never boring and it's a generally well written, interesting, story.

It kinda became easy to guess where things were going,

if you've ever seen 'Salem's Lot' or read a Stephen King novel.

Jeez, one night. that's a commitment 😀. My version of binging is 2 episodes a night over the course of a number of days, and even that can wear me out sometimes.

Definitely got serious Salems Lot vibes from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Super late to the party, but also just finished this last night.

But something that came up in the finale was Howie, played by Vincent Gale. He only has a few lines but

His story of killing his wife and kid, is exactly the same as his character from Van Helsing on Netflix. Albeit with a different name. At that moment I thought that Midnight Mass was a form of Van Helsing prequel, but probably more of an Easter egg.

Overall though, really enjoyed that show. A little bit slow paced at times, but still a great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Best bit was ET and his wife dancing to 'Holly Holy'

Advertisement