Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing in May

• 31-10-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Is there some reason why lambing does not happen later in the year e.g. May ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I did it last year. Works well but you will need to feed the stragglers to get them away

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

When did you sell?

Was there much difference in the price from 3 months earlier i.e. lambs born in February?

Anything unusual?

I've never understood why farmers lamb during the worst weather January, February and March

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cold weather is a healthy time to be born. A February born lamb is eating grass mid April and is really ready for the high quality grass in May and his weight gain excels.

I lamb in April, Sheep are secondary to the Cattle so I want all bovines out of the shed. I want to make sure grass is growing well as well.

It suits me and more knowledgeable sheep farmers than me have said, they find it a cheap system.

I was pleased with my lambs this year. First year of them. For me the price is sorta second to the cost of keeping. I can manage that system cheap and to suit me.

Many lads will be aiming for certain times of year, the dates of Ramadan are marked on the kitchen calendar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

We lamb mid march, Sheep are out of the shed straight onto grass, and the weather in feb is usually miserable enough up here in the NW.

Rams are out just over a week now and will be out for another 4ish weeks. If lambing in may, your gonna be starting to tip in December.. Not the nicest weather and at that stage our ewes are in the shed as there is no grass left.

we'll not mention the ram lamb that was missed last year with our ewe lambs that we were keeping for replacements.. had to scan them all in april! got 50 or so "bonus" lambs in may/june.

Just getting rid of the stragglers now. Was breeding for replacements this year so am feeding meal as the maternal ram isnt great for finishing but in previous years ive brought them all to the factory off grass & lambed 100% outside. I find its supply & demand so late lambs will be as profitable as early lambs considering the cost involved with housing etc. Ive no interest in lambing in the cold & wet of January/february but if you have the facilities and are free to lamb their is probably a few more euro in lambing early indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

This makes sense to me. Might be a runner for me. I don't live close to the land so lambing in winter would not be viable for me.

Buying store lambs could be an option as well.

I have a neighbouribg farm, a hundred acre farm, sheep. Largely good land, 1hr 40m drive for him up to it from Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour set land for sheep to someone far away, he informed the tenant that he definitely wouldn't be looking after the sheep. The tenant answered, ''sure you'd pull a lamb away if he died at the road gate, wouldn't you'' 😂

• Advertisement

Advertisement