Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheel upgrade

• 01-11-2021 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Another wheel upgrade advise thread

Currently running day 1 Mavic Aksiums which owe me nothing.

Looking to spend max 500-600

Want to reduce weight (currently 1840g)

Want deeper rims at least 30mm to get aero benifits aswel as the aesthetic look, but going to stay aluminium as I don't want the hassle of carbon on rim breaks

Ideally looking to go tubeless tyres and upto 28mm while I'm at it.

The hunt race aero seem to tick alot of boxes , any other recommendations? Is there likely to be good black Friday sales? Or worth looking at the second hand market with people moving over to disk brake bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I can recommend the Hunt Race Aero Wide, Running them for a yr or so ,8000km app. 25 mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubless fitted. They feel lively and I have had no problems,

These replaced a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL , The Hunts feel every bit as lively and smoother than the Mavics which were also very nice I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Hadn't seen Cero before, looks like alot of wheel for the money.

Cheers for the hunt review, seems to be well received everywhere and a big upgrade on the Aksiums I have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You might want to check out this lad

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets

He builds his wheels with the same Kinlin 31mm rims as Hunt but substantially cheaper from what I can see

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had cero wheels. I liked them, they have since changed as they were very narrow, but theyve also bumped up the price in a big way the last few years.

Think the spokes where a pita to find when I broke one, but they sent some spares when I got one of their wheelsets which I would like to see more of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. Alot of the UK suppliers are made expensive by import duty / taxes / delivery, was looking at the ceros but the delivery added 100euro. So think I'm gonna go with scribes pace, which were recommended on another thread. They will fit tubelss tyres also and I'll have the whole lot for €510. Luckily checked a 28mm wheel on my bike and it was rubbing the frame, so will need to stick to the 25s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can you post up a review once you have tried them? Also in the market for a sub 500 EUR rim brake wheelset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I got Wheeltec in Holland to make up a set with Duke Road Runner 22s, and am pretty happy with them. I put somewhat fancy CarbonTi hubs in, so they breach the 500e ceiling, but with less-bling hubs, they are good value. Seem stiff, are certainly fast enough for me. 80kg rider, Cervelo R3 frame.

Advertisement