Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hueston Station to UCD Clonskeagh - best route?

Options
  • 01-11-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all

Any tips for the best route to cycle from Hueston Station to UCD Clonskeagh?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not direct, but one option could be to head west, then take a left onto the south circular, and head for the canal; then take a right off the canal, up through ranelagh and into clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

alternatively from the canal you could go through Mount Drummond Avenue through grosvenor square up towards Grosvenor Road/ Frankfort Avenue/ Cowper Road towards Milltown. Basically going through the quieter residential areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth mentioning that when i was coming from the canal, heading through clonskeagh, i'd approach ranelagh by taking a right a little earlier onto mountpleasant avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

Is this everyday? That's quite a commute.

it's 8km at most, each way; that's quite reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If I wanted a quiet life, I'd probably cut through the IMMA, head down to the Grand Canal, follow that east then head south through Ranelagh, using the Grand Canal cycleway once it was available, as it makes the turn into Ranelagh easier. Not that direct, but it's all roads I find ok, with no stressful right turns, and not much close passing.

If I was in more of a hurry, I guess I'd use Thomas St and get to the Grand Canal via the right turn at Christchurch cathedral, but I'm not sure I'd like to do that every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I'm going to take the slightly longer less direct route of going via the canal and then down in to Ranelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Just on going through the IMMA, would you go via Military Road and then left onto the Sth. Circular Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Have some fun with a cycle mapping app like RidewithGPS. You can plan, replay etc. for free, unless you want the premium features.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Instead of turning right at Christchurch, you can go slightly past that and turn right onto Bride St at the Lord Edward pub. Much more plesent cycle the whole way down to portabello then take the grand canal cycleway for short distance until you can turn down to Ranelagh/Clonskeagh.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Up past the SuperValu and turn right through the main gate.

I used to find Kilmainham Lane ok too, but I haven't gone that way in a while.

(Maybe should mention that I wouldn't follow the SCR when it turns left towards the hospital, as that stretch is bit too conductive to close passes for me. I just keep going down to the Suir Road Luas stop and turn left there and follow the canal. Maybe it's just me that prefers going that way, but I definitely do.)

I'll keep that in mind. I come back that way when I go to Ikea on the bike.

Advertisement