Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10 installation...

• 01-11-2021 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

So, my Dell that I purchased a few years ago came with Windows 10. At the time, I hated it (Windows 10 that is). So, I bought a Windows 7 disc, and have been using that since. Several times, I've tried re-installing 10 again (I made an image on an USB). The link to the image file that I downloaded was given to me from Dell, and matches my P.C.. For some reason, it take 7 hours to install from my USB. Is this normal? So, after all the updates and stuff, it's about a 15 hour procedure. Seems kind of excessive to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a storage device with USB 2.0 speed or slower yes that could be the right. Try to get a USB 3.0 stick and try from that. Also make sure you are connecting the USB 3.0 device in to a port supporting this, they will be coloured blue on your Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sounds more like USB1.1 on HDD fitted laptop.

Unless purposely desired, do not use Dell's image - will be full of bloatware. Instead, get it directly from MS media creation tool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The USB is probably some crappy Chinese variant with read speeds in the KB range

You don't need USB 3 for a fast install - I've installed Windows from USB 2 in like 10-15 minutes if not faster

Advertisement