Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gun safe necessary for one shotgun

• 13-10-2021 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

In the process of getting a license for my Dad's old shotgun which was left to me. Was advised by firearms dealer while doing the competency cert that for a single shotgun the legal requirement is a trigger lock. Bought that, sent in application and was called for an interview with the superintendent in my district. Explained to him that the gun was stored in a locked shipping container on the property with the trigger lock in place. He said he was happy with the application and that he could forego the "safety" aspect of the questionnaire if I was prepared to get a safe for the gun....

I re-iterated what I'd been told about the requirement being a trigger lock and explained that the shipping container was effectively a large safe in itself, which was already storing valuables behind 4 padlocks. He was sympathetic enough to this but still leaned towards either installing a safe in the container or putting it in the house.... The procedure is once I have this done, to contact the local station, so a Garda can check it and report back to the Super and license will be issued.

Would like to hear some opinions on this. I'm assuming despite the fact I'm complying with the law as is, this is basically down to the superintendent's wishes and if I want to get a license, I'll have to just go along with it..........

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

The trigger lock is the minimum requirement for a shotgun. The Superintendent can add to this minimum requirement anything in his/her opinion that is, also needed. In your case he requires a gun safe to be installed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Clivej is spot on.

What the RFD told you was correct but he must have failed to mention that the security requirements are minimums. IOW this is what you must have in order to apply and a Super can impose however many more security measures they deem necessary before issuing the license. Its SI 307/2009.

In all honesty a safe is not a huge ask. You only need a basic one. €175 new for a decent three gun safe and probably half that for a second hand one. Plus if you decide on another gun at some point you're covered with the safe.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭JP22

Cass and Clive are spot on.

Insurance wise, your probably better off with a gun safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As other have said, a trigger lock is the minimum requirement. And super has said that would be suitable if it was in the house. But as you are storing it outside of house, which is presumably less secure as a none habitable space. there needs an upgrade to the basic security.

Thats not unreasonable. A 2 gun safe is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Thanks for the replies.

Wasn't aware of the minimum requirement aspect of it alright and the dealer did not make that obvious. I was simply looking at it from the point of view of "one shotgun = trigger lock, job done" And was assuming this was just a Super putting their own interpretation on the law. But as has been pointed out here and on a couple of other threads, technically the gun should separated and trigger locked to meet the minimum. Since I pointed out to the Super the first part of that was impractical, I can see why he's asking for a safe. Ironically, I thought it being in a locked container helped my case, but it seems they much prefer safe/guns to be stored in the home as opposed to garage/out building...

I will look into getting one so. Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

Just a thought on that steel container.

How war/cold does it get?, I'm thinking condensation/dampness and our dredded enemy, rust.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I put dessicant bags in my safe. Seems a simple solution.

Same as myself, great for a safe. I was thinking on the steel container itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Zero damp/moisture. I keep an old car in it for that reason. The inside walls are covered in a type of felt. It's like a vacuum inside. No dust, cobwebs, damp, anything. Can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Went for a safe myself €150 new.

As to insurance a safe is not enough,They will insist on an alarm as well-believe me I checked this out wit the insurance company :(

• Advertisement

Good point.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What’s the story with insurance for firearms?

Declare value to ensure items insured?

Or auto covered under house insurance (generally)? Would rather not be telling some insurance agent in Dublin that there are firearms on premises.

none have value >€2.5k

Depends on the value. Most home insurance policies have content cover. During the height of my gun ownership my content cover, for the entire contents of the house, did not come close to covering the contents and the guns. I told the insurance crowd that there were guns on the premises, they were secured and checked by An Gardaí and then gave them the value of the firearms/accessories (cause scopes were as or more expensive as some of the firearms). They increased my premium but it only add a few Euro per week/month tot he policy and at least I was covered, financially, for any loss of them.

If your content cover is already enough to cover the home contents and firearms then perhaps you don't need to bother informing them to have the amount raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just remember that it is bad enough that you have to declare your toys to AGS (totally vetted and beyond reproach, (except if you read all the recent news), ) but be very mindful of who you declare ownership of your toys to, whether online or over the phone, when renewing insurance. Same goes to security and alarm companies.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Advertisement