Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

aluminium vs pvc guttering

• 28-10-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm just finishing off a flat roof extension, my preference is for an aluminium guttering and downpipe. We put the combi boiler in the attic of the original house which means the over flow pipe will flow out onto the flat roof and onto the flatroof guttering - is there an issue that this may corrode the aluminium?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am not sure but I hope some one can advice. I will say I feel guttering is an art that is not taken seriously enough in this country. A good guttering system makes a huge difference in the longevity of a building and its appearance and for this reason I wish aluminium was used more.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

The main issue would be heat, I'm imagine Aluminium would handle that better than PVC/plastic? My overflow from a condensing boiler has left a burn mark on the plastic drain pipe below it. I'd be more worried about the makeup of the flat roof vs the overflow than the gutter to be honest? Sun heat vs direct wet heat could it cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

thanks guys. I was going with aluminium but the builder said that it wouldn't work with the overflow from the boiler and that I had to get PVC. Just seems a bit odd to me. And yeah the overflow is dripping right on to the GRP/fibreglass room.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SC024

Is that the "condense" outlet from the boiler? That is supposed to be piped into the Foul water / sewage system. Not supposed to go into surface water or soak pit if in the country as it is mildly corrosive. I'm not sure how it would react with GRP roof. personally I wouldn't have it dripping on slates / tiles or any other type of roof covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the condense outlet from the boiler. It's now going into the PVC guttering - at least it's not on to the fibreglass flat roof anymore.

But the guttering is going into the down pipe - which I was planning to connect a rain water collection water butt to for my back gardening needs - I guess that's out now too!

And the builder is gonna say, well I told you not to put the boiler in the attic.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement