Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please recommend a car for me

Options
  • 31-10-2021 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Changing from a large diesel (no longer do a long daily commute due to house move - it doesn’t like the inactivity and we need rid before we have more costly filter issues)

3 children. Giant dog who doesn’t come everywhere but travels with us at least once a week. I’d like 7 seats for cousins/play dates but it’s not a dealbreaker

Daily work commute <5k (could walk but have to transport heavy bags) evening trips to shops/after school activities usually <10km.

We have a drive for charging.

Once a month 200km round trip up north.

Any advice very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Babyboy09

Oh and some more info which might make a difference.

I figure our current car is worth around €15k trade-in and we have access to about €35k more (mix of savings plus potential loan)

We don’t have solar panels.

During the summer we do go camping or day trips about 50km-100km from home most weekends.

Also I am terribly disorganised and that’s what worrying me about getting a full electric. What if I was stranded with the kids and dog?! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Skoda Enyaq is the first thing I’d look at it if I were you. You’d probably get away with the smaller battery one. It has a huge boot and roomy cabin Electric is easy please once you’ve made the transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

VW ID.4 should work as well, again you could get away with the smaller battery versions, it'll likely mean a 10-15mins charging stop with that trip up North in the depths of winter.

Most of the "bigger" EVs on the market are compact SUVs, so they might be a bit of a squeeze for 3 kids and a dog. Think VW Tiguan or Kia Sportage size

7 seater EVs are unfortunately a bit of a rarity at the moment. If you win the lottery there's the Tesla Model X

There's also the Nissan Evalia, but the battery might be a bit small for your needs

If vans are your thing, there's also the Mercedes EQV and the Citroen e Space Tourer

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Another one to have a look at if you need a bit of space is the Hyundai Ioniq 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

To guarantee 200km round trip without needing to public charge you need at least a 40kWh battery car.

Due to short commute you won't save money on fuel as it's so little.

Typically I would say petrol rather than diesel is the way to go, and lots of 7 seater options. I don't see a big upside on going electric for your use case.

In terms of stranded have you ran out of fuel ever? It's similar in an EV, but if you bring a long extension lead with you worst case you can plug in at any house if stuck. You can also ring break down services similar to a flat tyre.

The main issues with EVs when travelling beyond their range is that you need to public charge to get home and public chargers are often busy, blocked or broken. NI is far worse than ROI in terms of public chargers with many broken for years. If it was me I would buy a non new petrol 7 seater, and wait to go full EV in 4 or 5 years when the prices are lower and the options are better. Hopefully the public charging will have improved by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Babyboy09

Thank you everyone. Food for thought. Getting a petrol 7 seater to do us for the next 4-5 years is something I hadn’t even considered……but really does make sense for our situation. Appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Petrol is a much better option than diesel for your usage but it is rowing against the wind atm moment and you will likely find residual value tanks in a few years as EVs take off.

The smaller battery MEB (Audi, Skoda, VW) vehicle is perfect for an EV solution.

200km is well within the range of the smaller battery versions (they do 300km+) and they fall within the grant limit.

L

As i did. You make find a new EV is actually cheaper than a second hand ICE. The more distance (not range, thats different) you do in an EV, the more you save.

Do a full costing. You might find that either petrol or EV is far cheaper depending on price. Loan rates, kms, insurance, tax. Servicing, etc.

Nissan Ariya if you can be a little patient. Maybe an e2008 but might not suit a growng family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Consider a Mitsubishi outlander phev, it will take care of all your sub 50 km trips, the longer trips worst I got was 40 mpg or 7l/100km, I was going through my trip data, 1 trip for 130 km gave 2.9 l/ 100km or 97 mpg I got a 20 minute charge somewhere as the whole trip was 4 hours long and averaged 50 kph top speed was 101 kph.

Huge boot but only 5 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

For space it's the enyaq. I camp with kids and no others come close. Not even id4. Get the tow bar to attach bikes. Don't bother with fast charger. It's a waste for you. Get the auto boot.

The battery size will be subject to how far you go and budget with options. 50k should get you behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement