Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster chess union website

• 19-10-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Curious to know if anyone has any info on above? I'm getting a "this account has been suspended" message? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Leinsterchess webpage

https://www.chessleague.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

There's still no announcement on the LCU site about how the 2019/20 season is to be closed out, or how leagues might resume.

To be fair, I guess it's impossible to plan but the committee might put up some kind of announcement about what their ideas are, or to invite submissions.

In view of the recent Covid trends, the provisionally scheduled National Club Championship in late November must be in doubt, and surely there can be no league revival until 2022.

So perhaps it's a good time to revive plans for alternative structures. For example, a national league championship played on weekends like 4NCL in Britain?

Or separate weekday (greater Dublin clubs only) and weekend (whole of Leinster) divisions for when inter-club play resumes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I beleive the 2019/2020 Leagues have been decided by average match score.

There is an EGM happening on the 29th November to discuss the start of the 2021/2022 League with a slightly different structure to accomodate the shorter season

There was an E-mail sent out to all Clubs.

2019/2020 Outcome

Armstrong

Champions - Gonzaga

Relegated - Dublin University and Blanchardstown

Heidenfeld

Champions - Malahide

Also promoted - Dún Laoghaire

Relegated - Curragh, Skerries

Ennis

Champions - UCD

Also promoted - Gonzaga

Relegated - Rathmines A, Dublin University.  (Note Dublin University are relegated to the Bodley in accordance with rule 5.9, and an additional team will be promoted from the BEA and Bodley as a result)

O'Hanlon

Champions - Kilkenny

Also promoted - Portmarnock

Relegated - Malahide B, Malahide A, Blanchardstown

BEA North

Champions - Finglas

Also promoted - Drumlish

Relegated - Balbriggan, Malahide

BEA South

Champions - Kilkenny

Also promoted - Gonzaga

Relegated - Curragh, Rathmines

Bodley North

Champions - Dundalk

Also promoted - Drumlish B

Bodley South

Champions - UCD

Also promoted - Dublin, Celbridge (having a higher points-per-game total than Naomh Barróg, the third-place team in the Bodley North)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Correct. If any clubs didn't get the email (and I know the vast majority did because they've been replying), get in touch because we might have old contact details.

The website just needs a penny in the meter; overlooked given recent inactivity but should be back shortly. In the meantime, all the tables are still there

• Advertisement

EGM now moved to Zoom due to increasing incidences of covid.

It'll probably be a quick enough meeting, but hopefully it'll allow us be ready to start into an agreed something when restrictions finally do bugger off.

Does the Leinster Chess Union still exist and if so who is running it?

The website has not been updated since April 2020, it seems and is just full of totally out of date pages:

We seek in vain for any information about the City of Dublin Championships, for which the ICU calendar has reserved the weekend 2-4 September. Maybe the clash with Electric Picnic is causing a problem (NOT).

No information about an LCU agm online either. No information about the possible resumption of league chess, or even just some attempt to find out which clubs still exists in Leinster?

Nor is it just LCU.

Now the Irish Championships are over, we are looking at a desert for those (apart from elite juniors) who want to play competitive chess.

The weekend of 16-18 September is a mystery. The ICU website has a contradiction: both saying the new Catholic University School congress (originally announced for May, then vanished) will be on then, "details to follow."

But now it also says that weekend id available for somebody else to organise a congress: "If interested in organising a weekender this weekend please contact secretary@icu.ie.! This seems to imply the CUS is not happening though it is listed beneath.

All clubs have been contacted about the AGM (which is on the 20th), so your club secretary should have details. This is the usual means of communication for the AGM as the LCU is technically a club body rather than an individual one, and because we request nominations/motions from clubs. Both of these lend themselves to direct communication with clubs rather than an online announcement (as the ICU, a member body, does)

Clubs have been kept up to date on the leagues resumption (including in this very thread) and I see no reason why the new season won't start in late Sept as per normal. This will be discussed at the AGM - in particular of course we need clubs to confirm how many teams they will have, as we expect there to be some changes from last time.

The City of Dublin is still tentative at the moment, as per the ICU site. The LCU is seeking a tournament controller to help make it happen, and if you want to put yourself forward, that'd certainly be considered.

Chessleague.uk has details for all the recent Cup and online competitions; I don't know why there's two sites - that's a quirk of Peter Scott, who set the sites up, but it's all there.

There hasn't really been much else to say since April 2020 to be honest. As per above, all the main correspondence has been directly with clubs by e-mail, because two-way comms have been needed.

Thanks for the update cdeb.

I'm glad to hear the leagues are expected to resume though I'm not in a club and don't expect to play.

As for seeking a tournament controller for the City of Dublins, if that's the problem, you shouldn't be fishing for one here.

For the events to be rated by FIDE, as I'm sure you are well aware (but some readers of this forum probably won't be), the Chief Arbiter needs to be an arbiter licensed by FIDE: either IA (of whom Ireland has only two active, neither in Dublin), or FA or NA. As there would be no titles on offer an NA is sufficient so long as he or she has plenty of experience.

A full list of qualified arbiters from all countries can always be found on the FIDE website.

It's a lot of work and long hours running an event like this. So really it is up to the LCU committee to contact one or more of the eligible arbiters and see who is available at whatever venue you have in mind and on whatever terms you are offering.

Though with multiple sections you probably need two or three energetic assistants with a good knowledge of the rules who could be seeking norms for NA if they are not already NAs in training for the Fide Arbiter title. The ICU chairman said yesterday that he hopes to be organising another arbiter seminar in the next few months.

The tournament controller position on the LCU committee is the person to do the organising of the event (ie setup, promotion, organisation, etc) That's what we're looking for.

So still happy to take your name for the position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Leinster Chess? Leinster Chess Union? Yeah that rings a bell alright?

Part of the UK now though perhaps? Lexit and covid19-84 and all that jazz?

The FIDE Handbook makes a clear distinction between the roles of the tournamemt organiser and the arbiter.

If you are expecting somebody to do both, no wonder you have no takers.

Not expecting someone to do both. I think my last post was fairly clear about that.

So will I put you down for it or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Fide rating such events is recent relatively speaking. Arguably just dont bother with Fide rating events held over weekends and have 6 games not 5? I mean,personally I want and prefer Fide rated but for many, maybe most it is no big deal for weekend chess and maybe until chess has got back on its feet keep things simple and easy, without the hassle.

Honestly dont know myself but encouraging people to just play chess and make it easier to organize that might be a better approach, if only for a while. It is not by any means just chess that is struggling to get back to how it was. Patience and tolerance would reward the chess community build itself back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I dont see the point in FIDE rating weekenders personally, didnt used to be allowed but I guess they put some loop hole now.

Still, not worth the effort really.

What was done in recent years was to play a 5-round FIDE rated Masters alongside six-round tournaments (3 games on the Saturday) that are rated only by ICU.

It's not possible to run three rounds in a day at the 90/30 time limit and comply with the maximum 12 hour rule.

No I am not interested in running these events in any capacity. Too old for it and I would prefer to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I guess that if there is a market for it then the 5 rd FIDE rated is fine, 6 rounds is a bit savage on a Saturday anyway.

My point was that if the logistics of getting a tournament FIDE rated is blocking events taking place then I dont see the FIDE rating as anything essential personally.

I guess I'm coming to an age where I find six game weekenders overly tiring and would definitely prefer a five rounder now, regardless of FIDE issues. I suspect more in my age group would probably prefer two games on a Saturday over three, the third one on Saturday being somewhat gruelling energy wise.

I know what you mean, but once you have only five rounds the events tend to be FIDE rated as we had last weekend.

In a six-rounder there is usually an option to take a half point bye on Saturday evening. Then you go into round five fresh against a tired opponent.

Yes that's true and I'll probably take that option in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

With the mad petrol prices and the difficulty travelling around Dublin by car because of all the stupid cycle lanes, 30k zones and traffic congestion is it time to split the Armstrong and Heidenfeld into Nort and South sections as they have in some of the lower leagues? The top two in each group could then contest a semi final and final at the end of the league phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Any news from the AGM?

Not really. There were no motions. Half the committee (three) stood down and one person came on to replace them. And we're checking with the clubs to see who's still around (and how many teams they have) as we expect more change than usual for the Leinster Leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Is there a new website for the Leinster leagues with any up-to-date information?

It looks as if http://www.leinsterchess.com/ was last updated in April 2020.

Leagues fixtures are going up on chessleague.net (I think LeinsterChess.com has been a mirror site for the past couple of years, though I don't know why). The hosting company has a server issue, so the site is down at the moment, but when it's back up, the leagues will be getting underway. (They don't tend to start until the end of September anyway)

Thanks for the info. Yes I did find that chessleague.net non-site and was wondering what was happening there.

Site is back up now with the top five divisions. I think there's been a couple of changes to the divisions even in recent days, so might be a couple of adjustments and can then add fixture dates.

And fixture dates are up.

Best of luck all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Every Armstrong team that has to play Ballinasloe away is at a severe disadvantage because of the difficulty in finding players who want to travel such a long distance, (yes yes I know that they play in Athlone, that's far enough). Ballinsaloe are very slow to rearrange matches too because they know that the "distance card" is their best chance of avoiding relegation. To add insult to injury Ballinasloe is in Connaught NOT Leinster so shouldn't even be in the Leinster League.

Advertisement