Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenant making demand

• 27-10-2021 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

I’m renting a room out in my house and my prospective tenant has asked if he can put his name on one of my bills. He says it’s so he can transfer his post from previous address which I cannot understand. Would anyone know why someone would want to do this ?needless to say I’ve declined but he still insists.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I suggest your lodger (if living with an owner occupier they are not a tenant) gets his bank details changed so statements etc come to the house rather than putting bills in his name. This worked perfectly well for my former lodger. She had all her bank details, car insurance, driver's licence, etc at my address and never had any problems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could see that being used in some (futile, eventually) attempt to pretend that they were a full tenant not a licensee. Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭purpleshoe

It seems odd to me.

Did he give a reason as to why this step is needed so that his post can be transferred?

As you said you have the declined the ask. It may simply be a lack of understanding on his side but I would be cautious going forward. If any other ask is made, which if granted may give him household influence, I'd asked him to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Pistachio19

He can insist all he wants but you shouldn't allow this. Its your house and he is a lodger, not a tenant. As suggested he can amend his own bills - car tax/insurance/mobile phone etc.

There's absolutely no reason for him to make such a request.

The only thing I can think of is if it's for an An Post mail redirection service, which requires proof of address. But as other posters have said, he can simply update his bank details and order a statement as proof of address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

they are a licencee not a tenant, this should be a red flag so you should reconsider the arrangement.

Utility bill can be used to secure loans if I am not mistaken

Changing your address with any institutions etc or using post forwarding with An Post requires proof of new address. They usually ask for a utility bill.

I would imagine he needs proof of address.

You cannot update bank details, or credit union details without proof of new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,117 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I honestly wouldn't consider this to be a red flag on its own.

I would presume he is under the impression (correctly or not) that he needs a utility bill as proof of address to update his details with various institutions

Can what ? Use address forwarding? Maybe. Long time since I used it.

You cannot change your address with any institutions without proof

Edit, checked an post, stated you need utility bill as proof of address in the post office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes you can I've done it loads of times, what do you think is the alternative if you can't?

I seriously doubt everyone renting out a room in their home allows their lodger to have their name on a utility bill, so it follows it has to be possible. My previous lodger changed her car reg/insurance to my address, then went into bank with docs from that to change address there - from then on her bank statement counted. If you have a public services card and a MyGovID a/c you only need proof that you are normally resident in Ireland if born outside the EU/EEA to change address on drivers licence. https://www.ndls.ie/licensed-driver/update-my-personal-details.html#to-apply-to-update-your-address

• Registered Users Posts: 22,117 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

To create a new account you need proof of address, once the account is set up, you can phone them or use online banking to change your address

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say it is an innocent enough request. Up to you whether you want to allow it or not.

I literally moved house two weeks ago

Two work credit unions I have been a member of for 23 years, my bank which I have had an account in for approx 30 years, All require proof of new address in order to change.

Perhaps none of you have changed address lately?

Insurance basically the same as a utility bill, so proof of address required.

Seriously - do you really think that the only way is to have your name on a utility bill? What about all those adults who still live with their parents? Do you think they have a utility bill in their name?

I have never been asked for proof of address when insuring my car. Ever.

While asking for a utility bill is common the only time my lodger ever had an issue with not having one was when trying to buy a laptop on finance in Harvey Norman's - so she went to Soundstore. Every other time a bank statement was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I updated my address (7 years after moving into my current house 😄) on my bank account and mobile phone bill last year and in both cases I just did so online with no verification required whatsoever. I've also never been asked for proof of address when insuring my car. Having said all that, I still don't think the OP's lodger's request is particularly unreasonable, especially if they're being told by a particular institution that a utility bill is the only proof of address they'll accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

A utility bill is easiest for a lot of people as you get them regularly and it's current. Any letter or document from a government department showing your address is acceptable eg Revenue or Social Protection but they usually show other private information like a pps number that people don't want to share, so it has to be redacted. Also people dont always notify change of address immediately to Revenue or DSP so it can be out of date.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

No. I'm not saying it's the only way. But you need proof of address from something. It can be a utility bill is the easiest for the lodger. Who may not even have a car🙄

Adults who live with their parents are not changing their address, are they? But I'm sure they have bank statements, revenue or welfare letters or certificates with their address on.

Your lodgers bank statement was accepted because it had an address on it. If the OP s lodger wishes to change his address to his new address, he needs proof. However he gets it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Which particular institution will only accept a utility bill as proof of address? Sound's very improbable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Easiest bill to put someone's name on is a TV Licence. Its a fixed amount per year.

They can also change their revenue details to the address and ask for an updated tax credits statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I changed address in February. Logged onto my online banking and changed it, took about 60 seconds.

No proof of address or verification was needed, except of course for the obvious verification of needing my log in details and passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Same, I’m a liscensee in a house share. I just changed my address on my bank accounts and payslips and they’ve been enough for me to use for Garda vetting etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps it depends on the bank. My partner (Bank of Ireland) updated her address during the summer and had to send in a copy of a 'fixed' bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Went back to the parents house a few years ago for a couple of months. Bank outright refused to change my address or even stop sending me post since I had no proof of address. Potentially it has changed or the particular bank worker didn't have a clue and was trying to spoof it. It was what I was told and since I wasn't expecting any serious post for the short period I didn't have a bill I left it.

Maybe there is now a better way but if they have had this experience or were told of a similar experience than they may not know it and the request has been made in good faith. I do not know if there is an improper use for this so be careful and potentially try and find a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Online Banking changed in 30 seconds new address last year.

Car insurance changed setup for partner last Thursday no proof required either.

Mobile phone changed on the app no proof required.

Vet plan setup and no proof required either.

That's so odd. I changed address on my BOI account about 18 months ago and did it online, no proof needed.

Same for my AIB account, I changed it 18 months ago and just did it online. I know from prior experience that you can do it on their in-branch kiosks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

What if they actualy want to open a current account to maybe pay the rent? Lots of people making the assumption that they are changing the address for something they already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP you are only offering to provide accommodation for a set fee per month.

The prospective tenant may have a problem with proof of address but that is none of your concern.

Tell him that you are not willing to put a bill in his name.

If he is not happy with that you can always get someone else.

Advertisement