Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I find out if a house is insured if I do not know the Insurance company ?

• 29-10-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

Is there a central database or something to allow me to see if a house is insured and with what company?

I have recently become an executor to a will where a house is rented but I do not know if this property is insured.

It is not mortgaged nor do I know who the mortgage company originally was.

Not feeling too enthusiastic about having to ring all insurance companies explaining and finding out one by one if it is them.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Access to any documents within the owners personal residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackbox

As executor, do you have access to the deceased's own dwelling?

Most likely the deceased had a place where he/she stashed bank statements, insurance receipts etc.

EDIT - Listermint got there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bt952000

Thanks - yeah - found some docs but then when called the insurance company it was for a different property with no record of this one.

So, it got me wondering if a central database existed for this type of thing.

I will take a further deeper look but just found out that the insurance company I thought was it, is not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Tow

If there is no mortgage the house may not be insured. My understanding is that as executor you become responsible for the house. If the company cannot be found you should probably take out insurance.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bt952000

Thanks - was told by the insurance that I couldn't double insure. Might challenge this too if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Do you have access to the deceased person’s tax returns? Rented properties are supposed to be insured and the insurance is a tax deductible expense. There might be some supporting information in the tax return or their tax documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You'd trace all this stuff through bank statements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Tow

You can double insure, but only one insurance company (policy) will pay in the event of a claim. Unfortunately the front line staff in the insurance companies do not know this and claim it is illegal. I had to make a formal complaint to Aviva this summer over this and had a manager on apologizing.

AFAIK there is no register for house insurance. There is for life insurance.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goudasgold

There isn't a central register of house insurance policies. Very often people take out home insurance via their bank's insurance products (just because it feels easier) so I'd try there first. You might have to put your requests in writing and the whole thing could be quite protracted. Tow is 100% correct above and if I were you I'd just take out a new policy in the name of the Estate and cross the double insurance claim bridge if it ever comes to it. In my experience a broker is easier to deal with when arranging a policy as an executor, you encounter less of the 'computer says no' attitude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you access to email accounts? I never receive paper docs relating to house insurance anymore.

Otherwise go through bank and credit card statements for the last 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If It is a small town, check with the local insurance broker if they represented the deceased / the property.

Advertisement