Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭klose

It would be if you didn't have the likes of mazepin or latifi taking up seats cause of their cash. You've some competent drivers sitting on the side lines and it looks like piastri is won't get a seat again because of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The biggest gap would be the lack of a Alpine jnr team.

I wouldnt mind if the existing teams were allowed set up a "junior' team for say 50m. Maybe include a clause that the drivers must have no more than 2 years experience on the F1 grid. Toro Rosso has been a great help for Red Bull and has developed F1 drivers for the entire grid so seeing that model replicated wouldn't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

This is a very good point.

I'm reading "Mr. Le Mans" at the moment and moving through the chapters which deal with Tom Kristensen's early career. Lots going on (political decisions etc.) but the amount of times he was overlooked for F1 because he couldn't bring in huge sponsors or was unwilling to pay for his seat is amazing. No guarantee he would have won a title had he made it but he was faster than most of his team mates (one being Jacques Villeneuve).

He eventually went on to win Le Mans 9 times (record) and pretty much everything else in endurance racing for anyone who doesn't know him.

IMO, Mazepin shouldn't be even close to sitting in that Haas car and he's keeping some genuine talent out of the sport as a result. He'd probably spin the car if he was put in charge of cleaning it.

But this has always been the way in motorsport...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've thought since they set the 200m entry fee that in a way it works for and against F1 all at once. It pretty much closes shop to new teams entering which historically was a big thing i.e privateer /old drivers set up teams etc ,but it also helps as it gives the teams involved some viability as they seem to have value that can be recouped now . liberty are doing an ok job and it does seem more stable now .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Also worth mentioning that the $200m entry fee is in part to promote stability. An 11th team means prize money will be divided 11 ways instead of 10. It isn't just a fee the FIA collects, it's distributed amongst the teams to compensate them for lost prize money in the future.

Bernie took the approach of penalising the last place team as a way help them go bust to trim the fat from the grid. But that also means there's little stability and reduced ability to financially plan. So there is stability now which kinda relies on it being a closed shop.

• Advertisement

Happened to have the F1 esport recommended on YouTube. Belgian GP, 15 laps. Taken for what it is it's fairly entertaining. Slow start but great end. Worth a half hour if you have it to kill, should be uploaded on YouTube once the stream is over.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

F1 Esports, if you can take for what it is, is great entertainment.

Understand it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it. The fact all the F1 teams are actively involved shows they take it seriously. Pretty sure I heard Bonno (Hamilton's race engineer) is also the RE for the Merc Esport reps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You'd never get that under Bernie's regime.

No you wouldn't. Esports isn't for me but if other people enjoy it then I'm happy for them. As long as they can translate esports fans into F1 fans then it's great. Presuming the exports to F1 converts will be younger, they'll bring change to F1. I'd say the sprint format is designed with that kind of audience in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The story behind option13/launch control on the Benetton if some people are still in doubt about whether they cheated or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-rotational-inertia-led-traction-control-willem-toet

Willem Toet, who was head of head of aerodynamics at Benneton at the time, wrote a great article on how they actually achieved 'legal' traction control.

[The Race F1 Podcast] Why the Andretti/Sauber F1 deal collapsed #theRaceF1Podcast 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/130625842 via @PodcastAddict

Interesting Podcast here about how the Andretti deal to buy Sauber went tits-up.

Apparently Andretti was willing to pay the base price but then Sauber wanted further guarantees about future investment. Apparently Sauber will hit the cost cap this year for the first time and they paned to invest more money in the team. So they wanted guarantees that Andretti would at least match that investment and that's where the deal died.

Pity really as Sauber has always been a bit of a meh team. They sneak a good result here and there but I wonder if Andretti could have pushed them to the front of the midfield or beyond.

They also talk about the importance of the American Market and having a second American team ( one that isn't shyte) and an competitive American driver would be great for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see I'm the latest fan survey that 70% voted Monza the most important race with Belgium at 65%, Britain 60% Monaco 54%, Japan 28%, and Brazil 24%,

Mclaren was voted the most popular team at 29% with Red Bull in second at 20% , Ferrari in third at 18% and Mercedes only on 12%. HAAS got a big fat 0% vote.

William Aston Martin and Alpine all got 3 % with Alpha Tauri on 2% and Alfa Romeo on 1%.

Max Verstappen and Lando Nortis are the most popular drivers both on 14% with

Lewis Hamilton in second or third at-12%

Daniel Ricciardo on 10%

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hamilton was in New York again this weekend for another awards ceremony. I think he was also back in the UK surprising kids at the Mercedes factory earlier in the week. He seems to have a lot going on outside race weekends. I wonder is it effecting his performance on track? The run in has a lot of back to back races so you would imagine it would have some effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He's had the same hectic schedule for years and it never stopped him winning. Then again, he doesn't have a car that's head and shoulders above the rest this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 623 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Its also much easier to jet set around the world when you fly 1st class. It makes a huge difference not being in cattle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Does he not have his own executive jet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Yeah, as Jordan 199 says he sold it. He went vegan for environmental reasons and then soon after put on social media that he sent his private jet across the Atlantic to get his dog from the UK and bring it back to the USA. People pointed out how environmentally impactful that was, so he sold his jet and flies on commercial flights now instead. He put his money where his mouth is, but you can be sure people won't see it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Puts his money where his mouth is? Vegan sells his private jet to help the environment...just think about that for a minute there. The privilege of being able to sell his jet alone, a man of the people.

• Advertisement

I didn't suggest he's was a man of the people. Where did you get that from?

I am implying that he thinks it is some sort of good deed for him to sell his privately owned jet for environmental purposes, only after he was called out after flying his dog over on it. Calm your jets there.

Ok. Just generic Hamilton jealousy/bashing. Work away.

Sure thing sweetheart, heaven forbid I call out the irony of a millionaire and his act of selling a private jet after flying his dog transatlantic...yup, very jealous of that one 🤣

Sweetheart? You can do better, Frank.

Work away with the Hamilton bashing.

He's the current world champion, and at least in the top ten drivers of all time, when he goes vegan you can be assured that many of his supporters would follow suit. It's pretty naive to not consider the trickle down effect of those type of acts of good nature

It's pretty naive to think going vegan will have much of an impact when he has been using a private jet for the past few years. To offset that kind of carbon footprint just from switching a diet when his job is based around massive travel and haulage, he will need a time machine to fix that.

I try my best.

I forgot you were the Hamilton bashing police around here, you have solid track record for that kind of thing. Finding offensiveness in everything must be tiring.

And he got rid of the jet, so what about the effect of the thousands of new vegans he creates. Irregardless if you want to take this to a different thread, perhaps you can pearl clutch there because someone wants to lead by example

• Advertisement

Thousands of vegans he has created, that gave me a good chuckle.

My point is that a millionaire sportsperson, who fly's first class, or on his jet when he had it (damage done on that one), drivers V12 cars on the street (another nice carbon footprint there), should not be telling people that going vegan is going to change the world or impact his carbon footprint. Veganism is another privilege that not everyone can afford, particularly those on low income, so spare me the glory of these "thousands" of vegans he has converted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement