Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

battery?

Options
  • 28-10-2021 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

is 12.25V an acceptable level for the battery to be at hooked up to the car in the morning after resting overnight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Should be closer to 13.8v.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not fantastic. Try charging it and see does it go back down

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭celica1994

yea it aint been holding a great charge lately

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

No load voltage means very little unless it's tested to be a good battery.

That would be some battery :)

Where did you get that figure from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭celica1994

Expect so. Only that the answer didn't match the question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you an issue with car starting? How many hours a day is car on road? How old is battery? It's typically advised to replace every 2 years particularly if it's very slow to start. 12.2 is not great if car was driven for an hour the previous day but it's hard to know without a proper battery tester and to check voltage with engine running. With engine running it should be 13+ volts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Every 2 years? Every one of my batteries I've ever had last me 5-10 years quite easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Likewise - I've never gotten less than 5 years from any car battery. I did have to replace two last year - one was 7 years old and the other around 5. But neither car was being driven much due to travel restrictions. Every 2 years seems way too often...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I thought the accepted life of a car battery was at least 6 years. Winter is bad for a battery, as in leaving the car unused for a month or more. I had to replace my battery at six years, almost to the day, but it had hardly moved in the previous year due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I have owned 8 cars so far in my lifetime and only had to replace a battery once. It was my first car and had been sitting idle for about 18 months before I bought it, so that probably killed the battery.

My last car, I had for 8 years and it was 2 years old when I bought it. Was still on it's original 12v battery when I moved it on with no signs of issues. The car started every time I needed it to. The one before that, I had for 5 years and it was 4 years old when I bought it, also on its original battery (I knew the original owner), showing no issues when I sold it on. Replacing a battery every 2 years is wasting money unless you are leaving a car sit for 6 months at a time or have some sort of parasitic draw that is flattening the battery regularly. At that stage, I would be looking at what is wrong with the car and charging system as opposed to the battery itself.

Anywhere in the mid 12v range (12.4 to 12.8 or so) is fine for a car battery to sit at with no load. Once the alternator starts providing a charge, then it should be reading somewhere near the 14 range (13.8 ish). If the OP is getting these figures then I would consider the battery to be healthy. A voltmeter is a very cheap piece of equipment to buy (sub €20) and a handy thing to have anyway.

Advertisement