Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male SNA?

• 27-10-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Looking to change careers and I tend to prioritise family over jobs, ie no late hours or weekends, off holidays etc.

SNA seems to suit me, I've plenty of experience with kids, am a qualified trainer etc.

Am looking into this but the qualifications don't seem very in-depth, mostly level 5 with a few level 6 courses here and there.

My main concern about being a male SNA is simply being employed to lift people about... that doesn't sound interesting at all. I want to be able to work with kids and help them, not just lift them from A to B.

Any course recommendations? I'm in North Dublin. Ideally level 6 plus.

Any advice would be useful too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

First off drop the male bit from your question, a degree in early childhood education would be a good start, not saying you would not get a job with a level 5 but you would be very lucly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

One Doctor I've no idea what you mean by being employed to lift people about?

Your not a carer in a nursing home.

Do you actually have any idea about the on the ground work for children who have an SNA in mainstream education?

Yes your there for care needs, so could involve helping a child in primary school with toileting etc but in reality you would be in class all day assisting your student + the teacher and in many instances other students.

In secondary it could involve helping students keeping focused in class, giving them time out etc if they need it.

There is definitely a need for more male SNAs especially at 2nd level.

A degree in early childhood education is definitely not the way to go. Useless for you at 2nd level. You need to do a Level 6 SNA course and get experience.

If you are already a trainer in say sports or whatever it is this will be seen as an advantage as you could really use it to engage kids that struggle in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Thanks for the replies. I've seen SNAs working and I know what they do, I just thought that perhaps a male SNA might be thrown the short straw in terms of physically having to lift kids etc.

The level 6 does seem to be the way to go, I've done a few level 6s already for the trainer course (general training qualification) and they were straightforward.

I'll look around for a good level 6 course and pull the trigger.

I know applications for an SNA position with a degree in childcare were considered more favorable especially if they have worked in a childcare setting with a child with extra needs.

I work in education sector, not one SNA has a childcare degree. They all have SNA qualifications and plenty of experience.

• Advertisement

It was only the one setting I know about I know one of the interviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The male part is extremely relevant when choosing a change of profession which involves children. It may not be palatable but male discrimination is an unfortunate fact, you've probably never been at the receiving end?

They are loads of male primary and secondary teachers so gender is not an issue for working with chidlren.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How are the online courses rated?

Chevron training, the open College etc

Experience is a big part of it, have you experience with children, for example, coaching a sports team.

Doing a course and not haveing any experience is a big disadvantage, it's not as simple as saying do a course get a job.

on the other hand.

https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2020/2019/1008/1081889-education-budget-2020/

• Advertisement

Go for its if it's what the OP really wants to do, education is never wasted.

Interviews are well able to spot someone looking for a handy number so make sure that is not your motivation for the job.

Hoboo it'd actually the total opposite at the moment in education sector.

There is a big focus on positive male role model and being a male SNA or teacher is a huge advantage, they are crying out for them once they have the interest and experience.

I was addressing the fact that perceiving themselves as a male anything can make the person present themselves as awkward or uncomfortable in an interview, it stems from a belief that the job is mainly female and that they might look suspect for applying for the job. I heard someone talk about a 'male' nurse the other day as if it was unusual for a man to be a nurse these things seem to be very deep-rooted in people.

In other words, go for the job and stop thinking of the job as male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Definitely not looking for a handy number, rather looking for a job that I can contribute meaningfully to while still having plenty of time with my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's lots of different types of SNA roles. Working with a child in a mainstream school is probably going to be a bit different from working with children in a special school or a unit for children with disabilities. The child in the mainstream school is likely to have less profound disabilities, so there will be more matters of personal care, communication and support. The child in the special school or unit is likely to have more profound disabilities, and possibly more physically challenging behaviour.

To a certain extent, you will be in control of which direction you go, in terms of what posts you choose to apply for.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Any stats to back this up?

Honestly, it's shocking to suggest that males can't work with children.

Advertisement