Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Covid death rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

51 dead on the roads aged under 45 in 2020.

Page 10 of this document...

https://rsa.ie/Documents/Fatal%20Collision%20Stats/Provisional_Reviews_of_Fatal_Collisions/RRD_Res_20201216_RSAProvisionalReviewFatalities31December2020%20(148)%20full_report_updated_FINAL1.pdf

Covid deaths 0-44, 62 deaths but that includes those with underlying health issues, reality is a fraction of those were healthy...

Cases up to and including 8th January 2021

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries19/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Those who had underlying health conditions would still be alive if not for Covid. I know if I catch Covid I will be 6 feet under but if Covid was not here I would live at least 20-30 more years minimum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wouldn't it be nice if by persuading everyone to leave their cars at home for one month we could prevent any future road deaths.

If you settle for an acceptable Covid death rate then you have to settle in for the long term. One in 500 becomes one in 500 every year and your lifetime risk shoots up. And if there's a new worse variant all bets are off.

Measles is still a global killer and should have been eradicated by now, but there's 2.6 million deaths a year. Is that acceptable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It is my position - and if people are honest the only correct position - that there is no level of deaths at which restrictions on fundamental freedoms become acceptable or legal. (And yes, I maintain that they are entirely unlawful.) My human rights are absolute. Otherwise we don't actually have any rights.

• Advertisement

I disagree. People should only give their custom to those who refuse to ask for unlawful, totalitarian and Treasonous vaccine passports.

You don't know that you will die if you catch COVID. In fact, the vast overwhelming majority don't. In fact, you may well have had COVID and not known.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I tend to agree - except that personally I don't think its safe for anyone, vaccinated or not, to be dining or drinking indoors at the moment. Disease incidence is too high. So ironically I'm only giving my business to outlets offeting outdoor or takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You should look up the meaning of those words. They aren't even big words. I'm surprised you don't understand them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not being honest, you’re just being silly. Just because you imagine a law restricting your freedom of movement is unlawful, doesn’t mean in reality it actually is unlawful, and any imposition it places upon you personally isn’t unlawful either, it’s perfectly reasonable in circumstances where it is intended to protect you and other people from your stupidity. You still have rights, such as an absolute right to life, everyone has that right, and one of the means by which they are protected is by imposing restrictions on anyone’s ability to compromise other peoples rights. In reality there IS a level of deaths at which it becomes both acceptable and legal to impose restrictions upon peoples fundamental freedoms to protect society as a whole. That’s being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The OP is just upset over how an article was worded. It has little to do with the actions being taken.

I'd like to ask the OP what Ireland should have done in the past and what they should do going forward in order to ensure zero COVID deaths, as you are basically saying that any death from COVID is unacceptable. And as it is unacceptable OP, what should the punishments be for those who have made the policies, those found to have passed on the virus causing death etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

I love when people use things like cars to compare against the restrictions. There is literally a book of rules for the road. If there are too many accidents on a stretch of road they reduce the speed limit for that road. Dangerous junctions are changed all the time. Literary to try save one or 2 more people.

Mark said it best (skip to 1:30)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5D1gJ_GygAI 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If covid disappeared in the morning would you change your lifestyle and still be able to avoid all the other respiratory illnesses that exist? Rhinovirus, RSV, adenovirus, all the influenzas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

I think you are confusing risk of death with actual deaths.

The fact remains, many will due in the next year on the roads due to driving. The overwhelming majority accept this as a trade 9ff for the convenience of driving

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

not confusing anything, just pointing out the fact that there are restrictions there too otherwise there would be a free for all. Also pointing out that laws change every day.

Head shops were there now their gone, lead for privately held firearms is to be banned. Petrol and diesel to be taxed out of existence.

Life has always had ristrictions and are being increased/decreased every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Everything has an acceptable death rate. We could eliminate all road deaths by banning all traffic from car, bikes, buses, trams etc. We have to weigh up risk of death & the good that transport has for the country. We had an acceptable death rate from the flue each year. We could have saved lives each year if we locked down during flue season

I've been in favor of lockdowns & I don't believe night clubs should be open yet. I believe everyone who can get a vaccine should get a vaccine. I believe people with a vaccine should be more careful than they are at the moment. Having said all of that I do realize that Covid may never go away & we have to try go back to some sort of normal life. Unfortunately OP that means people like yourself may be housebound for years to come

There is always an acceptable death rate for everything. A rate where the benefits far outweigh the negatives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Those who put they're own selfish delusions before the common good are the real traitors.

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No, just dissing the quote referenced in my post.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Unfortunately OP that means people like yourself may be housebound for years to come

This is the thing though - the OP isn’t any different from anyone else in that they have to weigh up the risks and benefits of any given circumstances in the same way as everyone else is doing. It’s the same for anyone who chooses to go to a club or whatever else - the vaccine provides protection, it doesn’t make anyone invincible, and people know that, but they weigh the risk of spreading the disease against the benefits of being able to get out and enjoy themselves for a bit, and being able to get out and enjoy themselves for a bit wins.

I’d someone say to me the other day that people who are refusing to be vaccinated are being discriminated against, as though it was unfair. It’s absolutely fair, as there are people like the OP for whom the vaccine is ineffective, and their risk of infection is reduced by people being vaccinated. In effect the OP isn’t housebound, but they mentioned people taking personal responsibility, and people are taking responsibility for themselves. The OP isn’t any different from anyone else in that respect in that they should practice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The risk of dying from Covid in this country is absolutely miniscule. The fact that we have idiots who think we should spend years restricting our civil liberties and freedoms because of a disease that has been hyped-up to sell newspapers and generate clicks is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

A hyper-wokist response to a perfectly good question.

Nature cares not for your ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

But it is here Skimpy and will be with us forever. The whole world can't stop because some people may catch it and die. The vast vast majority will catch it and it will be no more than a common cold to them.

Sorry for your circumstances but the rest of us just want to get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

The chances that you have not been in contact with this virus, to some degree, are pretty slim at this stage.

It's in the air you breath, and it's literally everywhere at this stage. But viral load is very significant with this disease.

I'm sorry for the predicament you're in OP, but life does have to go on at some point. That's not being cold or callous, it's just the harsh reality. You know yourself at this point, how to keep safe. But it's undoubtedly a very tough road to stay the course indefinitely.

At least you do have the digital means to stay connected with the world, which is something people didn't have in past generations. And a much bigger scientific community working hard to find better solutions every day. Small crumbs of comfort perhaps, but still something to be optimistic about.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

It is not miniscule for the OP - far from it.

I have a question for you. Pre-covid times there would often be people who would get on, for example, buses, and who would be clearly suffering from a cold or flu and who would just spend the entire trip sneezing and coughing openly on the buses, making no attempt to even cover their mouths. What would you honestly think of those people?......Or are you one of them?

I used to work with a fella who was notorious for coming into work anytime he was ill and go coughing and spluttering all around the office. I think he was deluded that people would think he was great for making the sacrifice and still working when he was visibly ill so he made sure to go around to let everyone see he was ill. Again, he had no concept of even turning his head before he'd cough or sneeze at you if one came on him as he was talking to you. Other staff used to complain that the management wouldn't tell him to stay at home. It was stupid because the next week there would invariably be a handful of people off with whatever he had spread. The reason management wouldn't intervene was that your man was a complete oddball in general (and I suspect undiagnosed autistic).

You would be fully in support of either of the above's "civil liberties" were you stuck beside them during their coughing episodes?

Some may be surprised to learn that society actually places many restrictions on driving in order to reduce the danger to other people (and to the driver themselves!)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

@Donald Trump

I know people who invariably get colds / flu every single winter without fail.

Some people are just very susceptible to catching seasonal viruses.

If these people were habitually missing from work for several weeks every winter season, surely some of their employers would start to lose patience with them. "Such and such is always out sick, can't rely on them!" etc etc.

You can't win in some situations. Damned if you do/don't.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Problem with asking the question of "what's an acceptable covid death rate" is that you will get answers ranging from logical and rationale to down right insane.

• Advertisement

I don't know whether you are deliberately trying to sidestep and twist the point or whether you genuinely didn't read it or whether you did, and decided to go off on some tangent

Or is it the case that you'd react differently depending on the person's susceptibility to catching infection? i.e. if you are on a plane for example and a fella gets on and sits beside you and spends the whole time coughing and spluttering across you and making no effort to cover their mouth, you would try to ascertain their susceptibility to infection before coming to a conclusion on whether you were ok with them doing so?

In my case when the (undiagnosed autistic) fella would go around advertising and making sure that everyone knew he was coming into work while sick, would you "ah I don't mind that Jimmy comes up to me just before he deliberately sneezes across me so that I can know he is sick because sure he gets sick a lot. Now if he only got sick once every few years, I'd be pissed off that he coughs in my face when he is, but seeing that he gets sick a few times a year I actually like to receive those veritable showers of infection"

Advertisement