Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too Good to Go - Food App

• 25-10-2021 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some good offers in Dublin City with KC Peaches if you are passing at the times listed - https://toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb

RESCUE MAGIC BAGS OF SURPLUS, UNSOLD FOOD

FROM YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS AND RESTAURANTS

Every day, delicious, fresh food goes to waste at cafes, restaurants, hotels, shops and manufacturers - just because it hasn’t sold in time. The Too Good To Go app lets you buy and collect this food - at a great price - so it gets eaten instead of wasted. You won’t know exactly what’s in your order until you pick it up - it’s all part of the surprise. Download the app to get started

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems like a great idea. What did you get from KC Peaches for 4.99? Was there much in the bag?

Theres a good few city centre based cafes signed up so must give it a try some day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Saw it mentioned on another site earlier:

The app lists food for sale by businesses at the end of the day that would otherwise be thrown out. The meals are called ‘Magic Bags’ because you do not know what is in them until you receive them. There’s a café nearby that has partnered with the app, and I order one bag hoping that it’s something fancy that I can have for dinner (€3.99). It’s a BLT baguette and croissants with some sweet pastries. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I've not tried it yet but its been on my radar to give it a go in the coming weeks. KC peaches gets 4.6 stars from 50 reviews on the APP and their offer sells out fast each day so I'm hoping it is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thanks OP, this looks really interesting! I'm collecting a €4.99 bag from the Saltwater Grocery in Terenure this evening, will report back on what's in it!

I just hope this isn't diverting donations to the likes of FoodCloud 🤔

yeah I suppose thats a bit of a downside of it in that youre going to end up eating a sandwich or similar for your dinner before it goes off. I wonder are other places doing some sort of dinner

• Advertisement

Tbh, I'd expect a bag from a café to contain café style items.

Brasserie 66 had two options on it yesterday evening and I think you could be fairly confident of getting a dinner out of that. They're still more likely to be individual ingredients as opposed to an actual meal, though, I'd imagine. I suspect anyone hoping to pay a fiver for a restaurant-level meal ready to go on the plate is going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

More money for the restaurant but making out like you get a bargain. Brilliant marketing tbh.

It's like walking into Tesco and seeing the hot food items reduced...it's reduced for a reason because it's poor quality, dried out etc.

I don't buy hot/pre-cooked food anyway so that's a non-issue for me, but this seems pretty much win-win, as far as I'm concerned. Anything that diverts perfectly good food from going in the bin is worthwhile, imo. The 30%/Waste Not section in Lidl is the first place I check whenever I go in. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's more akin to walking into Tesco and going to the reduced section, where food is about to reach it's sell by date, and is hugely discounted.

Perfectly good quality food at a much reduced price. Tesco are more than likely making a loss, but not as much as if they throw it out. Not only do they have no revenue, but they incur disposal charges on top.

Win-win all round.

Food doesn't go in the bin anyways. There isn't tonnes of food left over at the end of the day, restaurants know pretty well how much they'll sell in a day and then the workers would typically take most of it home. Good for those who like to pay reduced prices for 2nd rate food, bad for those low wage earners who would have been getting the food anyways for free.

• Advertisement

That's what I said. They have a reduced section for hot food in Tesco, it's dried out and not that nice. Difference is with Tesco you can choose what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Food absolutely goes in bins.

Ever walk down the laneway behind a group of restaurants?

Most workers will have already gone home when the food is thrown out, and it's not 2nd rate.

"An average restaurant loses about €24,000 per year from food waste.

An average hotel loses about €150,000 per year from food waste."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Looks fairly useless unless you live in Dublin

So the only option to save the food is to have people pay to take it then? They should be giving it away for free.

Why should they be giving it away for free? They are a business. If there's money to be made and people are willing to pay, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

This is very popular in UK and hopefully more will join this as currently its all Dublin city center

• I'd say it'd be handy enough if you were living in town and were having a late lunch. Just downloaded it and it pointed out a lot of little cafes and stuff nearby that I'd never heard of before. Happy days.

You do realise supermarkets reduce more than just hot food, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hey this is Bargain Alerts not Arguing Alerts.

Use the app if you want, u pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Advertisement

OK, so I got a huge sourdough baguette, a massive slice of cherry bakewell, tenderstem broccoli with chilli and almonds and a fish pie that weighs about a kilo. The fish pie alone retails for €12.99 so I'm happy with that!

I had an Aldi cheese fondue in the fridge so that'll be dinner tonight with the bread, followed by the fish pie and broccoli tomorrow.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Will have to try this!

Thats quite the bargain, thanks for sharing. It would be good if this thread could be used to identify the cafes and food shops around Dublin who are doing good deals on this app. I wouldnt really get excited about a BLT and a couple of croissants from KC Peaches for 4.99 but getting a 1kg fsh pie, sourdough baguette, broccoli and cherry bakewell for a fiver is great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

Unfortunately, yesterday sold out (I took so long to read this thread) and nothing today at my neighborhood (Terenure).

Would love to get a 1kg fish pie at Saltwater Grocery.

I suppose there is a right time to check the app when the stores/restaurants update their app. Is it when they are closing? And do you always reserve your bag for next day collection?

Thanks, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hadn't heard of this till now, we thanks OP. I'm not sure how practical it is for me, as the rest of the family are coeliac, but I'll give it a go at some stage

• I haven't bought anything yet, but a lot more places are showing up in the last day or so. I'd say download it, put in your distance preference and then check back in a couple of days. It'll give you a list of things you "missed" out on, and then you can decide if it's worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

I've just reserved a Magic Bag at MVP. Really good rating (4.8 stars). I'm collecting tomorrow afternoon and I'll update here with my unboxing comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Grabbed one from the Tram beside Jervis on way home. €3.99 for a chicken wrap, a muffin and two slices of chocolate cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

Just ordered from Mad Brothers Bakery in Ashtown D7.

Will post a pick and details later.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

Mad Brothers Bakery.

2 sourdough loaves.

6 cakes.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement