Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protected no claims

• 24-10-2021 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post a positive insurance story.

Mrs had a crash last year, pulled out of a T junction and ploughed straight in to a lovely A3 s line saloon. Turned out the guy works in the same college I do work in, luckily he was sound and in fairness his main concern was for my son and other half. Anyway just got my renewal and it hasn't increased from last year, claim was settled and my car fixed too. Glad I paid the extra for the protected no claims. Total payout was 4k btw.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Are you gonna use the money you didn’t have to spend on some driving lessons for the Mrs, or at worst some glasses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Funny you you should mention that as she had been suffering from severe fatigue and headaches at the time, turned out she needed glasses🤣

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Yeah I mean if you can’t see a mid-size Alison when pulling out of a junction…..

It's an awful spot to be pulling out, a van waved her out and there was another van blocking the view to the left. She's so nervous driving now, makes things very difficult as we live in the sticks.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I have this cover on mine at the moment, touch wood have never had to use it, was either €25 extra or included in comprehensive, can't remember which.

Out of interest is there any restriction getting insured with another company the following year? Does current insurer provide full no claims discount document because claim was protected? How would you handle the question have you had a claim etc from the other insurer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

As far as I know it just applies to your current insurer - by opting for protected NCD, you are basically taking out an insurance policy on your insurance policy and paying the premium to your current insurer. As far as other insurers are concerned, you made a claim which was paid and you have to disclose this to anyone you're seeking a quote from.

That is my understanding too.

The insurance company did send me my no claims document which states that it's a full discount but also below that it says "number of years claims free=0."

☀️ 10.75kwp.

So in theory stuck with your own for a number of years. Once they don't differentiate your quote from an identical driver with a full no claims it should be relatively ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There's no "in theory", you have a claim which you must disclose to any other insurer who will not then give you a NCD.

As most only ask about 5 years you are likely to be stuck with the same insurer for that long.

You are also completely at the mercy of the insurer, SOME will honour the spirit of the NCB protection and keep your premiums low but others will just ramp up and claim they are still giving you the discount, as the entire insurance pricing structure is opaque there is no way bar taking them to court to prove otherwise and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Good that your insurance didn't increase.

I've heard of companies who provide no claims discount cover but increase the premium following a claim as although you have the same % no claim discount as before, it is applied to a higher base premium as you are considered a higher risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think these sorts of insurance for your insurance are probably bad value for money in general. As said it's very difficult to switch insurer if you claim and it's hard to verify they are not screwing you on renewal each year. I prefer to look where I am going, take the risk, and gave emergency savings in case I need to buy a banger to keep me on the road. I don't trust insurers and quotes are all over the place and you can haggle and the quote drops.

Yes the cost is small though to add it, certainly better having to stay with current insurer than starting from scratch at zero. My insurance would increase roughly 4 times current rate if I started out at zero.

Ya, that was what I was expecting so it was a nice surprise when I got the renewal.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Agreed, I think I paid about 30 euro for it. Money well spent.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Advertisement