Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parasidic draw. is this too high?

Options
  • 25-10-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I'm testing my 2010 Mercedes e220 for a parasitic draw, I took this reading with the doors locked on the car, is this too high a reading for when the car is sitting idle overnight? any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

Your photo shows 130 milliamp which is on the high side. However some cars can take a few minutes to go fully to sleep and may not if the bonnet is open. What issue are you having? I would wait and hour with bonnet closed

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭celica1994

slow parasidic draw, battery dies after about 3 days idle, but sometimes if im doing little driving in the space of a few days the battery gets low

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

If your battery is 60 amp hour 60aH, this drain will take 600 hours to flatten your battery. This assumes battery is ok (it's probably not if it keeps becoming flat) and assuming the alternator is charging the battery up to 100% when driving. If battery is going flat after 3 days or 75 hours then battery is not fully charged or battery is worn out. Letting a battery go flat usually it no longer works ok as a battery.

Have you tested voltage with engine on? Can you try swap a battery from another vehicle even just sitting in place tied with a rope?

only put a new battery in it 3 months ago, same issue unfortunatly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Get someone to stick their computer (diagnostic machine) on it. You can narrow it down by checking individual fuses but that's not always going to lead you to the culprit.

I had a similar issue recently, got it checked and it was the Glow Plug Relay showing up a fault. Swopped that out myself and bingo, not a bother since.

• Advertisement

yea might have to get someone to, i pulled all the engine compartment ones no change, so ill try the rear fuseboard, failing that auto electrical mechanic time lol

Post edited by celica1994 on

Advertisement