Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, if you have Amazom Prime, Amazon Music is included in that at no extra charge.

/M

It's Prime Music, not Amazon Music. It covers ~5% of the catalogue and allows only one concurrent stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was looking for the Skills thread but cant seem to find it. Does anyone know if Alexa has a skill that would alert you to every goal scored in the Premier League just after it is scored?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Does the "find my phone" skill workn in Ireland? Or is there any way my dad could use the echo to find a non smart phone? My dad lives alone and want to get rid of landline, it's only use at the minute us to find his phone!

He can't get the skill to work on his and I can't on mine at the minute, not sure if temporary issue or because no free calls to Irish numbers from the line used. It worked for me in UK I just can't remember if I've used it since going back to Ireland

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Anyone having an issue with Newstalk not playing instead getting a Newstalk London.

Only started today nothing changed config wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Yes exact same issue. Mum was on the phone telling me to fix it 🤯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Same here with Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Just tried a few variations on the name and asking for "Newstalk FM" seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask.

Was just looking for a place to ask for similar issue. For me, my local station Highland Radio worked grand with "play Highland Radio" now have to specify "play Highland Radio on TuneIn". That's on the dot.

My parents can't get it or Midwest Radio on their Echo Show anymore in recent days. Alexa seems determined they listen to Allheart Radio the when they ask her to play one of them.

Any suggestions or has an update just messed everything up?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

FM 104 is acting up for me now.

Used to work fine with "Play fm 104 "point" 4 and now it just keeps playing some mad station!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 itsme2

Classic hits and radio nova have changed for me in recent days. For classic hits now have to say play irelands classic hits on tuenin previously for me it was play classic hits 4fm and for nova say play radio nova 100 on tuenin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Having issues with Today FM and Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking online for a solution and saw a workaround suggested by setting up routines in the Alexa app. So now saying "Alexa, radio high" will play Highland Radio. I tried just "Alexa, high" but she just says "Hello"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

RTE radio 1, randomly cuts out you need to ask it to play it again, anyone else?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Are the Food Network & Allrecipes skills available on Alexa, cant seem to find them, unless you need Amazon Prime to access them on an Echo Show?

Enabled the BBC Good Food skill no problem, what food skills are people using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got the Echo Show 10? Thinking of getting it but it's pricey. Do they reduce prices if I wait until around black Friday at end of November

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm waiting on the echo show 15 - think it'll be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Does anyone know where I would get a show mode docking station for an Amazon fire 8 2020 tablet. Thanks

Got the Echo Show 10 recently. Does anyone know how to get current weather to display on the home screen along with the date and time? I have my location set correctly and I ask what the weather is alexa tells me no problem. I checked in home settings on the device and I don't see any option for toggle weather on/off?

Got an update today and it's now showing the weather

Anyone know does Alexa have a skill that allows you to run lights like a disco with rapidly changing colours/scenes? I think it is possible with Hue but not sure if Alexa can do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

If you find it let me know. I searched but to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

You can ask Alexa to turn on Colour Loop on certain bulbs and it changes the colours, but slowly every 5 secs or so for my hue bulbs.

I created a routine in Alexa for my two sitting room bulbs to trigger one bulb on colour loop, then wait 5 secs then trigger the second bulb on colour loop so both bulbs were showing different colours. Does for my daughter when she wants a boogie in there with friends.

Thanks, will give that a try.

Amazon Photos - how to stop access on multiple devices

I use Amazon photos to back up photos from my iphone. I just realised that because my kids amazon fire 10 tablets are set up with my amazon account, they could access my photos in the amazon photos app on those devices. I can't figure out how to stop sharing the photos to multiple devices.

Anyone know if it's possible?

possibly, thanks. seems a bit convoluted to achieve what i need, but i guess it's a "feature" they've built in to get more accounts set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Does anyone know if the non international fire stick works in Ireland? I've noticed there is 2 versions now, the international one being more expensive but I'm trying to figure out if the restrictions on the standard one are really that bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭vinnielo

I'm surprised by the number of issues there have been with calling up radio stations.

Hopefully my RadioFeeds skill will solve a lot of the problems. Please activate it before first use : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09RKCN3CN

Primarily it works by calling the station by its three-letter code. See http://www.radiofeeds.ie/ for the full list - there are also community radio stations listed on the community radio page. As a FALLBACK, the full station name MIGHT work, but this is not guaranteed (due to there being other stations with similar names).

For example, to listen to Today FM, you would say, "Alexa, ask RadioFeeds to play T-D-Y". ("Today FM" also worked the last time I tried this)

For NewsTalk, "Alexa, ask RadioFeeds to play N-T-K". ("NewsTalk" also worked the last time I tried this)

FM104 is 1-0-4 (one oh four or one zero four should both work fine). ("FM104" also worked the last time I tried this)

Midwest Radio is M-W-R. ("Midwest Radio" also worked the last time I tried this, but there may be a clash with Tipperary's station of a similar name, depending on how Alexa is feeling).

RTÉ Radio 1 is R-R-1. Calling it by full name will not work because there's a clash with RTÉ Radio 1 Extra. 😂

Give it a try and let me know how well it works for you.

Post edited by vinnielo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I have a few Echos set up around the house and Spotify skill enabled which is linked to my Spotify. Is there a way to add my wife's Spotify to Alexa also (so if I'm out of the house using my Spotify and she asks Alexa to play music it doesn't cut me off)?

We have a family Spotify, if that makes any difference.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

I think you can only have one Spotify linked to it.

I set up Alexa as a family member so it has its own account.

Advertisement