Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo V90 - Am I mad? Talk me into it or out of it for 2022 (Second Hand)

• 23-10-2021 7:25pm

Yeah so, I just think it's a stunning car, especially if you can catch the right interior leather.

So, here's where I'm at. I have a 13 yo Merc E class saloon- love it - very comfortable- kept it on the road - loads of bushes, springs and shocks replaced over last 2 years which put a dent in the budget but owes me nothing (And BTW, love the Mercedes thread currently in progress)

I was very tempted by a UK import recently with lovely leather interior around the 28K mark but let it go as travel right now doesn't justify the spend.

So - in 2022, should I buy? Something like a 2018 model- around 26K or less depending on spec.

I would be holding on to it for about 6 years or maybe more.

All thoughts welcome. AMA>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I too think the V90 is a stunning car. I’m a sucker for big estates. The V90 is the kind of car you’d have to be sure you were getting the engine, spec and interior exactly how you wanted, but once you did, you’d be living the dream. For me, cream leather would be a non-negotiable requirement, and I wouldn’t skimp too much on engine or spec. I have a Skoda Superb Combi at the moment (different class, I know, but almost unbeatable in terms of space), and I think a V90 is one of the few cars I’d change to.

I wonder how you’d get on next year looking for an ‘18 with 26k, given how the prices are now? Might be tight.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Lovely car, go D4 for adequate power, Inscription for toys. We just don’t need that size car but if i did then it would be up there on my list too (I have the above combo with cream leather, but in a XC60). There’s a baseball glove colour leather on the V90 that’s very nice too.

Thanks all for the support. A few questions.

1. Which do you think would have better value re-sale long-term- i.e. 6-8 years from now (so 10 years old) - the V90 or the new version v60? The V60 is probably more suitable for my needs but is currently considerably more than say a 2017/18 V90 - do you think I'd be stuck with a v90 in years to come? I would have thought there would always be a demand for a big estate, considering they're not too common?
    2. Servicing V60 vs V90- would v90 be considerably more expensive?
    3. MPG- i think the v90 will do 60+ mpg - not sure about the modern v60.

Cheers

I saw one asking 29K a few months ago- it was a UK import - lovely reddish brown leather interior - I'm 1/2 kicking myself i didn't buy it but i'm just not doing the milage right now so justify it and it would only be depreciating so may as well wait another while till "normality" resumes, assuming my 13 yo merc holds out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The XC60 will always be more valuable as people cream over SUV's more than estates. I wouldnt say you'd be stuck as the V90 is a STUNNING car, i had planned on getting one but could never find one in the spec i wanted (D5, R-design in Blue) so i went for a 5 series. But every time i see one i get an awful pang.

I believe the XC60 and V90 share the same engine so servicing shouldnt be too different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think it's impossible to tell what the market will be like in 6-8 years. Did anyone last year predict that second hand cars would be appreciating this year? That 29K car you saw a few months ago could well be worth 31K now. The market (everywhere, not just Ireland) is nuts at the moment. It will crash back to earth at some stage, but it's not clear when - there's a lot of factors at play.

Plus the full impact of electric cars and possible deterrents to buying or using ICE over the next decade are just unknowable. There's a certain segment of the population that will always want or need large estates. But at the same time, a 10 year old car is a 10 year old car - whatever you get for it isn't going to make or break you. I wouldn't factor the possible resale value in 8 years time too much in deciding what to buy now. 2-4 years; yes sure. But the economic considerations change quite a bit when you're talking about keeping a car for longer.

I don't think the V90 will be more expensive to service and maintain than a V60. My previous car was a V50. If you're going to a Volvo main dealer, no matter what it's going to be expensive. But if you're going to your local mechanic and not necessarily using OEM parts, it'll be more reasonable. Personally, I think a V90 is a much nicer car in every way than a V60.

No idea about MPG, it's not something I tend to pay much attention to in cars. I drive them, and when they get low on fuel, I put more in.

Again great comments here from all and words of advice. I suppose I've never spent so much money on a car before I'm probably a bit hesitant but I've had my 13 yo merc for nearly 7 years and when I bought it, I said, "if you're going to drive a car that will be 10+ years old in years to come, it may as well be a merc"- so that's what i'm thinking with this car- I'll love it every time I'll sit into it (as I do with the merc right now) even if it is 2028 or 2030.

I guess it's the fuel thing that's bugging me a bit- my own does about 30MPG overall- while this does twice the MPG the costs of fuel are only going one way over the next 10 years so i'll be back to square one.

Maybe sometimes you just have to say f-it and go for it and enjoy your car- I know from reading Motors through the years, that tends to be the attitude and it's not a bad one in some respects.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’ve been looking at cross country’s for a while, a few imports popped up 10 months ago, but none since. That’s the issue with v90, they are pretty rare so not generally a good market to be buying in. The a6 avant and 5 series touring are similarly rare but many more around than the Volvo. My last 2 cars have been a6 allroad and a6 avant and the Volvo is equivalent enough for me, although possibly interior is a bit dated, especially instruments. It’s just finding the right one that’s hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hybrid way to go, 30 miles on electric. That would be enough for most trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It all depends on your most regular journeys i.e. your commute. Dublin/city commutes only, then yes quite possibly. But if you're commuting from satellite towns it's a different story. I know people who have a 10 KM return commute in Dublin- I have a 100KM return commute - a totally different requirement.

But I guess, part of this thread is also, head vs heart. I imagine a Toyota Corolla or similar might well do me - as it would probably do many people in Ireland- but I'd hate every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'd like a Volvo S90 T8 from 2016-2018, nice looking cars and would suit by driving habits but they're non existent. The standard petrol of same vintage is nearly as rare and even the D3 and D4 diesels are scarce. V90 is a great looking wagon but again slim pickings so will be holding onto my aging Volvo another while yet.

Volvos were always been that bit more unique here and historically offered great value second hand given the spec in even the most basic of versions but the lack of availability in anything petrol or hybrid based is pretty frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ive just noticed something. A horrible black plasticy backing on the front seats - depending on the interior this can look quite cheap. The cream leather with matching cream backing looks OK - just food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

V90 D4 owner here - had it two years and v impressed, would recommend over the competition

Pro’s -

Cabin quality, ride, comfort and design. Note back of seat isn’t a hard plastic, it’s coated in a leathery finish

Propilot / ACC is simply brilliant and standard on all models - note it’s not standard on any A6/ E Class or 5 series

Digital instruments I find great

LED lights are standard and superb

Powerful and economical - I see 50mpg not 60mpg mind you

On Call - remote interface is v useful, eg remote start in winter or remote unlock

Cons -

Size - 5m long and feels it parking. If you are happy with the smaller V60 I’d get one of those- v similar car but just 90% the size and generally cheaper too

Price - going mad money and increasing/ VRT increases will add another 4%+ to new or import prices. Semi conductor issue means factory not accepting new orders

Boot - great shape but styling reduced the space expected

Handling - it’s not a 5 series or XF but it don’t lose grip either

Servicing - expensive. I would be looking to get a good mechanic who knows these cars to look after it long term

Post edited by Casati on

Mighty post Casati thanks for taking the time

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

Hi,

V90 owner here as well. I would echo everything Casati says. Mine is a V90 momentum D4 2018 and have had it for a year.

A couple of things to note, Front parking sensors are not standard on the 2018 and earlier. Mine came with them but had been fitted as an extra. There is a long nose on them and I think it needs them.

If your going to tow look for one with the tow bar fitted. They are an expensive add on, around €1300 from Volvo (semi automatic electric).

Mine does not have android auto and its around €350 to get it retrofitted (which I will probably get done). Its standard on later models.

Mine does not have the on call app. Its standard on 2019 onwards (and some of the 18's)

As said by Casati the boot is large but the slope at the rear interferes with the size of item that can fit. I was trying to load a piece of furniture and could not get it in. It fitted in the BIL's E Class merc estate.

Mine has a spare wheel which was a major must have for me when changing the car. Some of them don't.

I get around 50mpg on long journeys. 43 to 47 on shorter ones.

I find the engine has plenty of power for me. Overtaking is easy in it. Some people swear by the polestar upgrade which boosts the power. I don't see myself getting it done.

The cream interior is nice. It brightens the interior considerable.

Advertisement