Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of Service Taking the P

• 24-10-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭

I've got ask for others opinion.

I've used the same Mechanic/Garage for many years. I've never questioned the price they've charged for annual servicing but mother of god, just got an eye watering bill.

Last year the Bill was €520 and to be fair it included a new timing belt and I know labour can be expensive.

This year the Bill was €446 , I reckon I did barely 3000 km since last service. I also just spotted on the invoice, Front Pads and Front Discs (Both done last year) 😳

Labour was €160 and the usual oil, filter coolants done. Honestly, I was shocked , should I be ?

Diesel 2009 clio and just passed NCT after service.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Did the same mechanic change the brakes and pads last year?

were they actually replaced this time, as in physically there.

if it’s was the same mechanic that changed them 3000km ago then they are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Is it possible that a bit was put off until this year?

Timing belt / water pump + labour would not leave much change.

Aside, why are they changing pads, not to mention same discs 3000km later?!

Questions for you to ask them.

Have a look ( or get someone) to have a quick look that front pads & discs ARE newly fitted. If they ARE new, there's not much you can do/quibble with the €446. Did you discuss what needed to be done / priced before job started?? Unless you were doing doughnuts or handbrake turns the pads didn't wear/ waste enough in 3000kms . On your NCT cert it'll comment on condition of brakes- assume that was 80%+

Just beware ALL parts have skyrocketed in the last few months, not tyat that's an excuse for unnecessary parts but I fitted a battery in Mondeo yesterday & it was €15 MORE than same battery at start of year

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's the same Garage, small but busy service centre, I'm genuinely shocked, I deal with the owner when booking in and paying , I've never questioned bills but this really knocked me for six, especially such little milage due to pandemic etc

• Advertisement

Thanks Ken, I'll certainly get it checked, at 54 I'm a little passed donuts 😁

Honestly, I'm no mechanic, I built up a relationship based on trust , went with their advice etc, normal servicing was €200/€300 unless something specific needed doing but given a timing belt and breaks dome last year , I'd have expected maybe a €250/€300 bill

I checked last year's bill and paid for timing belt and presumably other work done , including breaks , I will admit, I had expected last year's bill to be higher if I'm being honest, thank you

Thanks all for the responses, I didn't want to appear like someone moaning about a bill, I've an excellent relationship with the garage and don't want to sour that. I'll certainly check independently if breaks were done and call back to garage and discuss why (if they were done) breaks done two years in a row particularly given low mileage since last service

Appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭XsApollo

When were the brakes done? You could post a pic here as it might be obvious if they are still clean

Hey there, I'll try that, good idea, only done on Friday, thanks

Edit, just took a look, unfortunately the wheel covers the pads and disc, a little of the disc visible , the Discs to be fair look pretty new , I'd rather not take a wheel off to check myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps pads were done last year and this year the discs needed to be replaced, if this was the case both pads and discs would need to be replaced this year. The laying up of cars is not great for the discs and corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What do you mean "presumably"? Are there parts for brake pads and discs on last years bill or not?

Because it doesn't seem right that last years billed included a service, timing belt, pads and discs for only €70 more than this years bill...

Presumably as in any other items needed and yes, brake pads and discs on last year's bill and correct re bill total, that's why I was taken aback

Hey there, there would have been some driving , about 100km a week, back and forth to shops etc

I'm not being smart here, but presume doesn't mean certain which is why I want to clarify.

Because one explanation is that last years bill does indeed mention brakes but only as an advisory, and they weren't actually done or billed for. That would make sense with regards to the pricing.

Thats why I ask does it explicitly say that the discs and pads were changed, and does it list the individual prices for each of the parts? Most workshop invoices are itemised, especially the parts, its very rare that you get just one figure that you have to presume includes various repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Question the bill, what’s the worst that could happen?

OK, I have an update and my faith restored.

On foot of seeing Break Pads and Discs on two Bills , I texted the owner just by way of understanding the bill.

He was mortified to discover a genuine error has been made, it would seem two Clios (I actually saw the other one) were in for service at the same time.

The Bill was drawn up by reception . Such is my relationship with the garage, he just told me the total, I paid (albeit a little taken back), drove home and opened envelope at home and went through bill this morning and compared last years. The Break pad and discs on two bills , I thought very odd.

I decided to ask here as my mechanical experience somewhat limited despite also owning a vintage X19's for years (no fix it again Tony jokes please 🙂)

The garage owner explained I was billed for the Pads and Discs from the other Clio and it was a genuine mistake, he has apologised sincerely, offered an immediate refund .I said, just let's take note for next year, take it off the bill etc, he's happy, I'm happy but thanks again everyone.

My faith restored, my mechanic genuinely excellent and its taken many years to develop a relationship based on trust. I'd been stung so many times in the past and had visions of here we go again (foolishly)

Thanks again, Mystery resolved 😊

You appear to be making more out of this than.is necessary, being a D**K so to speak. You clearly are not believing of my situation, it fascinates me why a simple query, request on boards has to turn into cynical comments, twisting and turning and lack of civility.

I've updated the situation just as you joined in trying to stir nonsense.

A mistake was made, I sought advice, got the advice required and Mechanic has accepted a billing error was made.

Let's leave it at that, there's enough buffoonary on boards with turning a straight forward request into a conspiracy theory FFS

When a bill says Break pads €25 and Discs €60 two years in a row , it's not an advisory, what utter nonsense.

Those who helped, thanks again.

Thats great.....its all sorted.....you'll get a 'practically free' invoice before next NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think he was spot on. You can't work on or give advice on presumptions. For anyone to give solid advice, solid facts are needed.

However, i think you went about things the right way, went back to the workshop, asked the question and got a good resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Glad this ended well for you OP. Mistakes happen and the garage owner handled it well too.

Oh grow up. You said you presumed the work was done, that is a fundamental thing to clarify before saying anything one way or another.

And its "Brakes".

Advertisement