Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

• 23-10-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

I see RTÉ have launched a black history month for Ireland to chart the contributions of Afro-Irish to the history of this island. I like the idea of charting contemporary history and I think it is important to not overlook the stories of people from non-Irish backgrounds. On their webpage they mention various stories about figures like Christine Buckley and Pamela Uba. There is also a six page show? However, why do we specifically do we have a history month for the 1-2% of the population of African ancestry? Why no Polish history month or Brazilian history month? Isn't it a left field? Given the community was in the hundreds until about 1995, is there really enough history for an entire month? Indeed, they are already covering world history like Frederic Douglass? Also I would have thought this history, the likes of Paul McGrath and Phil Lynott would be fairly well known.

Comments

Advertisement