Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Apple cake made with the toddler from apples we foraged on our walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

This is my "Autumn coffee and pear cake". Made this for a bday, was looking for specific flavors I like - hence this is a mixture of few recipes (the batter from http://www.abajillianrecipes.com/2015/08/31/fresh-pear-cake/; one of the fillings has mascarpone&cream, coffee+monin flavor, the other is pear gelatin, and well, I think I am getting better at the mirror glaze, but still need to practice)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

A crumble with the last of our bramley apples, and blackberries which were worth all the thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

think next time would play bit more with the flavors (to enhance it towards what I like in it :) ). it looks like this ...(liked the texture tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Wedding cake!

Top tier is 9inches wide, 6 layers of vanilla sponge sandwiched with raspberry jam & Italian meringue buttercream.

Bottom tier is a 12inch chocolate biscuit cakes coated in white chocolate ganache.

Both tiers then covered in Italian meringue buttercream.

Macarons are just my usual standard almond shells and then filled with a salted caramel buttercream and a centre of gooey salted caramel.

The flowers & greenery are real and inserted with posy picks.

The gold foil and gold paint are edible too.

Cake topper is from Etsy, best value & quickest delivery i found while not being at all flimsy. It’s gold painted birch wood & can be requested to say anything you want. I’ve already purchased my own wedding cake topper from her too!

https://etsy.me/2Xa7ENu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Wow, that's amazing! 😮

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Put the breadmaker away and tried the oven.......Wholemeal. Tasted good.

Cooked it in a "Dutch Oven" and I think it's undercooked a tad. Will do next ones in oven. Not crusty enough?

First time, I think, to bake scones.

Mistake....all recipes in this book are for Fan Oven. I forgot to put the fan on. Just got the book last week......great detail on the "science" of baking flours etc etc. Been using "YT Bake with Jack" for a while with good success on breads.

However, gave them a few extra minutes, still came out slightly undercooked.

There are only two left however 😀......came out of the oven 10 or so minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Pecan Maple Cake. Also contains chopped dates and mashed bananas. Very nice and not too sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Technically not baked but....

Brioche doughnut rings, doughnut holes and round doughnuts filled with a slightly too runny lemon curd.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Baked a birthday cake for my digger obsessed LO. Although, technically, I kinda cheated with the baking bit with good old Betty Crocker...

After a lot of experimenting / failures etc etc I think I've got the bread making thing sorted. Bought my River Cottage bread book to understand the principles, the "Bakers Percentage" etc. Flour hydration and the likes.

Test baked our Christmas Day dessert- lemon baked cheesecake. Definitely gonna be eating this on the 25th, yummy recipe from BBC Goodfood :)

Can't edit pic to turn other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Looks delicious, it’s a great site for recipes. Which chefs recipe was it? Might give it a go.

It was this one. Personally I would put more lemon juice in-maybe juice of 2 full lemons. I used the Silician lemon curd from M&S to decorate the top, divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

An Italian friend of mine put me onto these for starters. Rustici leccesi. Shag all baking knowledge required (because I have none, handy that) and we made two lots - one with the traditional bechamel, tomato, mozz filling and one with spinach, goats cheese and nuts. You can fill them with what you want though. Very tasty and very easy. Can make ahead of time too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

My inner German has woken up and made me bake christmas biscuits last week. This year, there's the added challenge that they need to be sugar-free as my husband has been diagnosed with diabetes. It's a bit hit and miss - replacing sugar with xylitol works great in most cakes, but when it comes to pastry, chemistry suddenly takes note that you're trying to cheat and puts its foot down.

But I've made two successful batches, Spitzbuben (which translates as "naughty boys", no idea why) with sugarfree raspberry jam, and ginger and cardamom biscuits with lemon glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm looking to make some bread rolls/baps - anyone able to point me to a decent receipe? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I've used this recipe to make Blaas's before - few ingredients, easy to make, and fairly quick.

I wanted the Blaa's to go with leftovers from a boiled ham. Great combination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My Brioche fail:

I murdered the yeast, I know what I did wrong, and the dough didn't rise so I didn't even bother wasting an egg glazing them. Taste delicious but the texture is more like short bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Rock Scones

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cupcakes for my nieces birthday today 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah you are all wonderful! I cannot cope with baking these days and my gas cooker is a "bottom burner"

Wondering about an electric mini oven as I would find that easier.. table top Maybe Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

They look fab leahyl - I'm starving now just looking at them😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Banana bread. A classic, but haven't made it in ages!

I bought a couple of bananas because I've suspected for a while that I have a food intolerance to them and wanted to experiment. Half a banana and an evening of abdominal pains later, I decided to turn the remaining one into banana bread (f-you banana!). My body can tolerate banana bread ok, maybe because I'm eating a smaller quantity of banana in one sitting or because it's different when it's cooked.

So when life gives you bananas, make banana bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Getting stuck into the Christmas cakes.

3rd and last one just slid into the oven.

Use the simple BBC Good Food recipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Probably my final batch for this year, some pecan, chocolate and cinnamon biscuits. They turned out a bit unexpected - I had no idea that cassia can legally be sold as cinnamon these days! I'll have to make sure to read labels when buying the next packet.

So the taste isn't what I aimed for, but they're still tasty. And sugar free, of course.

It's beginning to..........

(nearly burnt the f....ing second tray 😀 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm currently making brioche again. Does that count?

Advertisement