Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2022/3 season thread

• 20-10-2021 7:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A day late but here is a new thread for the new season!

What are everyone’s predictions?

Thread title changed for new season

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Bulls 4-2 Suns in the finals.

This is the first time in many a year where I've gone into a season genuinely excited. I'm giddy waiting for the Bulls/Pistons.

That was a good defensive game between Bulls and Pistons and delighted to come out with the win. I was expecting a more handsome victory but it's always good to be able to dig it out too.

If Pistons keep that up for the season they'll break a few hearts.

That Isaiah Stewart is a stud. The moon is the limit for the fella.

That Pistons buzzer beater to make it 94-90 ended up costing me money though I had Bulls -5...

Never mind, as I suspected, Pistons didn't get the shot off in time. Score revised to 94-88 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Double OT Knicks/Tics. All good. Fournier looked like crap in the preseason but not when it counted today. Fun stuff. 80 more to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I'm so happy they got Zach Lavine some real help. The Bulls look like they'll be a must watch team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Steph Curry is really good. Not sure it isn't too soon for him to be 'greatest 75 players all time' material. That list has some very questionable entries like Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Russel Westbrook. Active players probably shouldn't be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Curry is a lock for top 20 all time already, potentially even top 15. I'm not a huge fan of him but what he has done to change the game and what he has achieved is very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Steph Curry (and I’m not his biggest fan) absolutely deserves to be in the top 75!! As above, he’s a top 20 player all time at least.

I felt it was a good list personally - it’s about legacy rather than skill and viewed in that context a lot of the tighter inclusions / omissions make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’ll be very very surprised if the Suns make it back to the finals!

The Bulls look great and I’m delighted for all of the fans of that team who have endured some really rough years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watching Magic @ Raptors and gotta say Scottie Barnes looks like a real good one. I've seen him before and he looked good but he's on fire tonight. Nearing half time and he has 17 points and 6 rebounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went to my first ever game last week. Raptors v Mavericks. Really enjoyed it. Atmosphere was brilliant and the skill levels were unreal!!

HOW BOUT THEM BULLS!

Great win in Boston.

DeRozan's midrange shooting is up there with the best I've seen. 37 points shooting 75%.

Celtics just collapsed in the fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Knicks are looking nice again this year.

Kept the team together, and brought in some good players.

Had a hectic year, so never really had a chance to watch games on demand from League Pass last season, but watched a few this year. Skipping all the breaks is so good.

Full game watched in 90 minutes.

The investment is worth it.

Giannis had some night for a guy that's not fully fit yet. He had 28 points, 9 assists and 8 rebounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Warriors v Bulls in the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Be nice for the bulls to split the odds tonight on the return game with the 76ers. They're exciting to watch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Only getting around to watching Knicks at the Bucks now, and after a disastrous first quarter, Derrick Rose just controlled the game, and instigated a 37 point turnaround with five minutes to go. From 21 down to 17 ahead.

Nerlens Noel should absolutely be a starter, and Rose is easily the best 6th man in the league right now, and could easily be a starter.

Knicks don't have the best starting five in the league, but they're definitely up there for a first ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The US media going way overboard on Jokic’s retaliation foul from a dirty play from cheap shot artist Markieff Morris last night. Laughable.

• Advertisement

Great to see the Bulls and Wizards going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, just watched it, Morris hit him with a cheap hard shot, Jokic hit him back harder…. End of story

Went to my first game in over a year last weekend, great to be back and even better to watch The Warriors play such good basketball, it’s all coming together again, experience mixed with youth, love it !

HOW BOUT DEM BULLS!

What a rebirth.

Great night from Dosunmu.

Can you imagine the difference in reaction if Morris hit media-darling LeBron that way?

Ffs I’m watching more of this crap now, people actually defending Morris, and completely downplaying what he did - incl. Spoelstra. As I said above, it was LeBron he hit these same “pundits” would be talking a completely different story if Morris hit LeBron or several other players. I also have to wonder how much race is playing a part in this.

At least Shaq and Barkley are talking some logic, backing Jokic

Haven’t paid too much attention to it, the few I have heard like Barkley, Shaq and media figures like Simmons and MacMullen talked sense. Iam sure there are a lot of hot takes coming in from pundits and main stream media trying to stir the pot.

Ive always had a feeling that some aspect of media would like to take jokic down a bit, he isn’t the sexy MVP that they want, he is more appreciated by the genuine fans

It's not just Jokic, there's still this anti-European bias and "all Europeans are soft" narrative in some quarters. What I'm find more disturbing in recent years - and perhaps this is reflective of how more divisive American society in general has become is there does seem to be some sort of anti-white undercurrent coming from some quarters, incl. some players too I might add. And we saw this in some of the commentary around this.

This is not an anti-LeBron post regards this example, but if we're honest we all know if a hardman/enforcer hit LeBron as a reigning MVP in the air in the chest and knee like Morris did Jokic, these same pundits would be screaming from high-heaven to ban him for the season. When Jokic - rightfully IMO - retaliates he's now the villain - WTF? Spoelstra's comments too were laughable in that "Morris make a take foul". That's NOT a take foul, not by any means.

Jokic had to hit back there. If he doesn't he becomes a target for cheap shots for the rest of the year and the word becomes he's soft and you can get him off his game through cheap shots. Also, as anyone who has played the game knows Morris knew exactly what he was doing there. He made a bitch ass move to try and show how tough he was. Well it backfired spectacularly and he has no-one to blame but himself. But this is part of the narrative Miami are trying to create for themselves this year that they're the hardest/toughest team in the league. Bottom line is that Jokic play doesn't happen if Morris behaves.

Totally agree on your point re. Jokic is not "cool" enough for some of these people to be MVP. They don't really want an unathletic (relatively) fundamentally sound team-player with zero interest in publicity or social media being MVP. They want a high flying dunking ad-making insta-hun 2K cool dude.

I'm glad to see there's more people now defending Jokic and criticizing Morris, but let's just say the first wave - esp. in some quarters - was all very much framed in a disturbing way.

If he had hit LeBron, LeBron would still be rolling on the floor in pain

• Advertisement

Yeah, the thing they hate is somebody who is proficient in the 'dark arts' of the game.

Only Rodman got lauded for being like that and that's because he played on a superb Bulls team.

Advertisement