Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Comments

Those wildflower gardens are just delicious. I'd love to see a lockdown garden thread if there hasn't already been one, I imagine a whole lot of folk have created some epic spaces over the last 18 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After being eaten alive by the chickens last year, my ferns are thriving again. North-facing wall and one of my favourite bits of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who says miracles don't happen.....look at this

my venus flytrap back in april

my venus flytrap now

the week of scorchio back in july brought it back to life🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

It’s been a funny old summer, weather wise. I am still waiting for most of the sunflowers to bloom. The dahlias have done okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

My dahlias did nothing! Never tried them before but planted some bulbs. Only 2 made any effort to grow and they did not flower, I guess they need a LOT of sun do they? My garden is a bit awkwardly orientated. Hardly any of it would get all day sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Dahlias hail from Mexico so the more sun the better for them. Plus if they are kept somewhere shady and damp it makes it all the easier for slugs and snails to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know what would have done this to a neighbours lawn?

Perhaps birds looking for grubs in the soil?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Very likely.

Two years ago it wasn't much more than a mound of grass and a dog run. It's been my safe space and literally a lifeline over the last 18months or so. Kind of proud of my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's lovely, you have a lot in a small space very effectively there. We have been the same over the Covid time, we moved into a house two years ago and have spent the last 18 months or so working on the sadly neglected garden, as you say, a life-line.

• Advertisement

Added some succulents from Aldi to a cactus I had for a few years in a dish I got in a charity shop. A mix of compost and builders sand, topped with some decorative stones from the pet shop. Not bad for a fiver. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Looks lovely.

Why are my pics turning 90° and not others? 🤔

Could be to do with the size of the pic, it possibly wants them to be landscape and that one looks slightly narrower than it is high. Not sure but it could be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

It's likely the orientation information on your image that's stored from the camera (or phone) it was taken on. It might even look right on your computer/phone, but boards would take the orientation of the file into consideration when deciding what show.

Here you go:

Thanks for that. Do you know if I change the info settings on my phone so they’re displayed correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

It's a crappy answer, but it depends. Have a look here for some info, but I'd be pretty sure that's what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has anyone else's yukka suddenly sprouted flowers out of the blue this year? I posted pics on FB and a few people have commented that theirs did the same.

This has been planted for about 15 years and there was never a sign of any flowering at all!

What got into them this year???

(Apologies if this has been posted about before, I just came across this thread, haven't read through the lot)

I don't have any but that looks amazing. I had a quick google though (just wondering if you can save the seed) and apparently there's a couple of factors required for flowering, maturity and pollination. Sounds like you got at least one of them right anyway. 😉

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/yucca/yucca-plant-doesnt-bloom.htm

I have a small border that is very difficult to find things that suit it - south facing but with quite a lot of tree issues that make it less easy to establish plants. I just keep planting things and see what succeeds. I put in a Kaffir lily two years ago and left it to get on with it. Early this year lots and lots of new little plants started coming up at the opposite end of the bed. I had no idea what they were but even if they were montbretia I was willing to let them populate the place. It turns out they are Kaffir Lilies, they must have seeded from the first one but there were such a lot it was a bit surprising. Anyway I am delighted and they are welcome to populate the bed if they wish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Almost identical - over the years mine attempted to flower much later in the year but this years is a fine sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Mind your own business ! The most beautiful of all weeds. great for a shady spot ☘️

That's gorgeous! It came up so I could not see the comment and I thought it was a pretty garden pond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

This is Skeeter's Broom. Lidl had them around 5 years ago. I have never seen them for sale anywhere else at any time. It has a very upright shape for an Acer and it will make me a great broom when I become a witch.🕷️ . I have to tidy up the area behind it. I planted a clematis behind it but the snails ate it bare in one night. I have also planted a Persian Ivy behind it ( you can see it peeping out.) This year the Tree is redder than it has ever been before perhaps because it is a nice autumn weather this year.

🐟️

That's a very nice Acer, in lovely condition. Never heard of Skeeters Broom!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Testimount to how mild its been this year, for the first time ever, my banana plant is trying to flower and fruit! I didn't even believe it possible here. Its north east facing in front of the house so doesn't even get the afternoon sun, makes me wonder if I should stick one in the back garden to see what would happen!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Wow, that's a bit special!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The result of a couple of months work.

The little one ran out of time to ripen 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Arbutus unedo. First fruit on my killarney strawberry tree planted in 2018. My mum tried a berry and agreed with the name, eat but only once. 😁. Its a very attractive shrub planted in a North East bed, clay soil

• Advertisement

I have just put in a Strawberry Tree, handsome plant with year round interest. I had them in a previous garden, I grew them from seed, and they did very well. The area I have put this one is a bit challenging for plants, a bit subject to wind, so I will look forward to seeing how it does.

Advertisement