Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ag Tiomáint in Éirinn Facebok group ... get a licence without sitting the test

• 22-10-2021 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I saw this group advertise on Facebook so my curiosity got the better of me.

I have B/W, D1 and A2 currently.

Out of interest (I'd be too scared to do it) I asked what the story with their service was my private message.

They said they can source genuine certificates of competency (they won't tell me how despite me asking) and they can add a "signature" to it and get anyone any licence for which they hold a learner permit for €500. They said they could get me full D for that price if I got the learner permit for D again. I kept stringing them along for more info, they can even add EDT lessons to a persons record without them even having sat the lessons.

As long as a person holds a learner permit in a given category, they can register a person for the test, and "somehow" get the cert of competency.

It's obviously illegal, but is it a cash grab scam or would they actually be able to do that?

Surely you'd be caught, surely there's a database that the NDLS would check against the RSA driver tests before issuing the licence? I doubt they'd issue it based on the cert of competency alone.

Has anyone seen or heard of this group before?

Did I waste my time and money getting those categories ?? 😜

Comments

Maybe pop down to your local Garda station and give them the information??

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Would they even be interested?

If I showed them screenshots of the conversation would that not implicate me too seeing as I requested illegal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

I came across a similar page before. Maybe it was run by the same people. I reported the page on FB, but I don't think the drop down menu options adequately cover the situation. I also reported it on the Road Safety Authority website. Their email contact form has very specific items listed and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to email about something not in those categories. So I used the Complaints form instead.

It is interesting that the surname is crossed out on one of the documents they show, but is still visible in two other places on the same picture that they did not cross out. This person can be found on Facebook. I don't know if this is a lost or stolen licence which they are using, or if he is one of their customers. The other two licences shown also give away lots of personal data on those people.

So, in addition to having illegal documents, it would seem that any potential customers risk having their photos, names and data shown in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

These type of pages probably get reported and taken down all the time only to be replaced again with another version. It should be possible though for the authorities to use the WhatsApp numbers to find the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Last one is a very good point! By showing your provisional license you're providing a lot of personal information, if the 500 is to be paid by credit card they have all the details they need to rip you off big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw one of those pages on facebook recently they would want to get their act together with scam pages,bitcoin scam pages constsntly popping up.

One way to find out!

Also, this is a way of gathering people's information & maybe money. They may get you forged documents or you may find yourself scammed!

Maybe ring the Garda fraud unit if you get nowhere at the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone who happily gives their details to a online unknown person who has already told them they have no problem handling or creating false documents is really looking for trouble.

There is no valid defence for that kind of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I could be a scam where they eventually send you a fake licence. As others have said they may direct you somewhere to collect your credit card details so they can empty your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No, unless you have and/or use a fake licence you have done nothing illegal.

Possibly the Gardai would not be particularly interested, they also would likely not be interested when these scammers steal your money and data while trying to purchase a fake licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

The group seems to have been taken down and the message recipient is no longer available.

A brand new one under a different name has popped up. I messaged them again and the language and style of conversation from them is very similar, so possibly the same crowd. They have a phone number and tell us to communicate with WhatsApp.

They said for B and A candidates, they can (somehow) log EDT and IBT respectively for a certain well known driving school. I don't know how they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sounds pure dodgy

Advertisement