Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No they stop on the dual carriageway and they'll be replaced by the C spine soon. Question is will there be good pedestrian links between here and the dual carriageway

I hope this is to bring in anpr and give the nta powers to fine drivers.

I've seen modeling work done before which shows that if compliance with existing bus, clearway and cycleway rule increased to 90%. PT journey times are slashed by 10 to 15 mins on most corridors

Hopefully this means that we can bring in bus gates at Camden St, rathmines and stoneybatter ASAP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sadly, there's no camera enforcement included in this bill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Presumably, it's got to do with stuff like with this:

Power of An Bord Pleanála to approve scheme or proposed road development that contravenes materially any plan

45. The Act of 1993 is amended by the insertion of the following section after section 51A:

“51AA. An Bord Pleanála shall approve a scheme, or a proposed road development, that contravenes materially any development plan or any local area plan (within the meaning of the Act of 2000) only if it considers that one of the following is the case:

(a) the scheme or proposed road development is of strategic, regional or national importance;

(b) there are conflicting objectives in the development plan or the objectives are not clearly stated, insofar as the scheme or proposed road development is concerned;

(c) the scheme or proposed road development should be approved having regard to the transport strategy made under section 12 of the Dublin Transport Authority Act 2008, the regional spatial and economic strategy for the area, guidelines under section 28 of the Act of 2000, policy directives under section 29 of the Act of 2000, the statutory obligations of any local authority in the area, and any relevant policy of the Government, the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage or any Minister of the Government;

(d) the scheme or proposed road development should be approved having regard to the pattern of development, and planning permissions granted, in the area since the making of the development plan.”. 

That's not the only one in there like that, there's a good few new ways for a road authority to push through infrastructure. By my layman's reading of it, it seems like it'd also take in the issue around the Strand Road cycle trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The C Spine routes will stick to the N4 - you’d only make the journeys on those routes much longer by diverting into the centre, and unnecessarily so.

The key point is that the interchange will be located within the centre adjacent to the footbridge over the N4.

Which is a vast improvement on the hike required at present to the current terminus from the stops on the N4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Forgive me for I am confused! Which bus routes will use the interchange?

I'm not asking you to do the research for me, but you might already know.....

I was up there recently and noticed that the current terminus near Vue cinema is chock a block, no RTI etc. and no bus seems to carry on to the Power City retail place, which is a shame for those on foot/bus who might want to browse the various shops at that end, same applies to the Argos/Halford retail place, nearest stop is the current terminus or out on the Coldcut Road as far as I can make out. But no doubt the interchange will take care of all that.

All of this information is very easy to find on the BusConnects website under the link to “new network”.

This page has links to maps, route information & frequencies, the lot - just scroll down the page.

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/new-dublin-area-bus-network/

All the routes that will terminate at Liffey Valley will use the new interchange as per the maps that are on the BusConnects website.

The Lucan Road routes (C1 to C4 and 52) will continue to use the main N4 Road stops as will the new W4 orbital route from Tallaght to Blanchardstown.

The local maps which are contained on that page are here:

Ballyfermot: https://busconnects.ie/media/2003/ballyfermot-area-map.pdf

Lucan: https://busconnects.ie/media/2022/lucan-area-map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Bsharp

Link to the N4 will be improved and a pedestrian route provided. Morning peak buses will pull up to a new bus stop close to the existing footbridge for dropoffs to make interchange easier.

However, the ultimate plan is to relocate N4 stops further away from M50 interchange and provide a new footbridge. Their current location creates a lot of weaving issues on the N4.

New bus stops will be provided on each side of the road at the LV western entrance, near VUE.

Design is on page 28 or so of the information brochure.

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor/liffey-valley-to-city-centre/

Design isn't perfect in some ways, but unfortunately there's a trade off with managing shopping centre traffic movements. CPOing a shopping centre car park isn't a realistic option. Looks like a reasonably fine balance has been struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Well, the changeover in Dublin West appears to have gone without a hitch. Will need a bit of time to get familiar with the new identifiers though!

• Advertisement

Government approval for the BusConnects preliminary business case is expected today. Core Bus Corridors planning applications and Next Generation Ticketing procurement to follow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Signs up on the Howth Road warning of major road works from Clontarf to Amiens St, March 2022 onwards. Presumably this is the Clontarf to City Centre project, thought I'd put it in here as it's a "Core Corridor" in all but name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Surely we must be close to launching another spine soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

G-spine is planned to in the summer, likely June or July. The N4, N6, W4, W6 should also be launching in the coming months. N4&N6 were delayed from the January launch due to shortage of drivers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There's construction going on in Red Cow car park. Is this BusConnects-related?

Yes, the bus terminus there is being expanded in preparation for the launch of the G-spine.

I spotted this posted by LUAS the other day:

DCC councillors got a presentation on the C2CC route today, and Ray McAdam kindly put it up online.

It reads to me that they made changes during the design phase, but unfortunately the maps that they provide are more focused on the trees along the route, and you can't really see the final design of the actual route itself. Hopefully detailed designs will be up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

From what I can see there is only one bus stop between the railway line on Amiens street and the NCR. Currently there are 2 stops. Is the street losing a stop opposite Buckingham Street?

It is a shame the Preston Street entrance to Connolly Dart isn't being completed as part of these works. It would link the whole area up well. Also, the future orbital (O) route on NCR will have an interchange with the bus stop on Amiens. I hope they have considered all of this in their planning. Ideally, 2 new entrances to Connolly would be opened up - one at Preston Street and another from NCR.

• Advertisement

Slightly Off topic here, but DLR have yet again shown how to do a decent Dublin 'dutch-style' junction, and active travel in general for that matter.

If only the NTA could take note....

Seems they made the Belfield/Blackrock site live a little early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

May be a stupid question but are they planning to resurface every road that is on each of the routes? I know there are some CPO's and road widening required but I'm slightly concerned that this will become a patchwork quilt of tarmac where they try to retain as much of the existing road as a cost saving exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

I would imagine they will do a complete job on the whole thing. What I would be worried about is the day after they finish in come Eir or Virgin or Irish Water and dig a trench and give it the old cold tar + back of the shovel treatment.

It might be a huge project risk & cost but I would put out notice to all utility owners that in partnership with Bus Connects the entire utility infrastructure along the corridors will be overhauled. I am especially thinking of Irish Water & the drainage sections of the councils. As we know the water supply needs a massive upgrade (the energy wasted to unaccounted for water is massive). The foul drainage is a combined system - if there is every a hope of separating it, the pipework for the separate systems should be put in and when with new connections / remediation works come onstream they have somewhere to discharge to (the energy wasted by treating clean water is massive). Any utility ducts not claimed should be ripped out. A load of empty ducts installed and sold / rented as needed. You could even add in district heating pipes. The complexity / cost of digging a hole in the city is increased by looking down at a plate of spaghetti of live, dead and reused ducts.

Then there should be a 5 year moratorium placed on any non emergency works in any of the corridors.

This is pie in the sky thinking but in doing it as part of one big bang has significant efficiencies and there should not be a need to dig up the corridors for years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one big benefit of the Luas - once the tracks are down, they're down. Bus lanes no matter how well designed or segregated are always going to be a magnet for utility providers to dig up and lay stuff underneath.

Looking at the latest plans for the Blackrock corridor, the one thing that jumps out is how much potential conflict there is going to be between cyclists and bus passengers at the bus stops. I regularly cycle this route, and it's actually not too bad as a cyclist - the Rock bypass has excellent cycle lanes (wide enough to overtake other cyclists) and there's a bus lane most of the rest of the way to Ballsbridge though the surface is variable. You can make excellent time though there are a few pinch points.

The cycle lane in the plans passes through multiple bus stops in places where the footpath is quite narrow - it's the same on the existing N11 cycle-lanes and one of the main reason I don't use that route (along with the crappy surface). Even where the cycle lane goes around the back of the bus shelter, there's invariably pedestrians milling about on it and you have to slow down or even stop.

So whilst this plan will make cycling safer and that in itself will encourage more cyclists, if you're an existing cyclist on the route your going to find yourself on a fairly narrow cycle lane, with increased numbers of other cyclists and coming into conflict with bus passengers every few hundred metres. It will be a lot slower.

(You could of course stay on the road in the bus lane but then you'll get bus drivers sitting on your back wheel and angry taxi drivers waving their arms and pointing at the cycle lane.)

The real test will come with the Blanchardstown scheme where we'll see significant cpo and a serious reallocation of road space away from cars.

Does anyone have an image of the proposed cycle lanes in reality? I've seen some cross sections where the lane is raised above the vehicular lanes. Curious to know how this works in reality e.g. risk of people falling off bikes trying to overtake another cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Provided that you can move into and out of the bus lane from the cycle lane, the experienced commuting cyclist can avoid conflicts with pedestrians at the bus stop bypasses. If there are raised kerbs, they should drop before and after bus stops. Obviously if there's a bus at the stop, you'll just have to forego the momentum and yield to pedestrians.

They build them that way in Copenhagen and no one falls off their bike. You just need experience I suppose.

• Advertisement

Do you have any photo examples? Putting "Copenhagen bike lanes" into Google image search throws up a lot of segregated lanes. Curious as to what it looks like when the lanes run alongside each other.

Advertisement