Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Isn’t the whole point of these stories about the fact that they were the victim of ingesting substances they didn’t voluntarily ingest?

The latest method is just as insidious -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Just because it happens doesn’t mean you don’t get tools making it up as an excuse or for attention.

A valuable article (well, daily mail). They demand that venues hand out drinks with lids to prevent drinks being spiked. Yeah, that will fix it. God forbid people mind their own drinks.

And how do you not feel a needle prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m a male but I’ve never left a drink so that it could be spiked.

i go to the bathroom or the bar I tell whomever I’m with to mind my drink, I’ll also put a beer mat and napkin if there is one over it and leave it so it’s not too accessible to passing scumbags... it MIGHT be that somebody could flick a small pill or powder into a drink in a dark and busy pub if it was uncovered but that ain’t really going to go unnoticed if they have to reach over, remove a napkin and beermat to spike it...

if somebody asks me to mind a drink I’ll do just that, mind it...keep it in eye contact... seems like there is really a rise of these incidents and in turn a rising scumbag cohort out and about..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭notAMember

Victim blaming and not believing women straight out of the gate. Nice show boardsies. These woman are being hospitalised, there is a noticeable uptick. It’s 18 year olds out for the night with their friends, ending up in hospital for “attention” is fun you think? .

Every newspaper has it at the moment, alongside the indecent exposure reports gone through the roof.

And I imagine you do feel a needle prick, but it’s not as noticeable when you have had a drink, and in a nightclub you might dismiss it as a bump against a table or a persons bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭notAMember

that post has a bunch of newspaper reports , an example

• Advertisement

Get too intoxicated and make a fool of oneself. "I was spiked". I am sure there are cases but the volume of these reports suggest mass hysteria.

If it really is a method. All i see on the photois a very minor injury. How come no article contains a picture of the alleged victum holding up a positive toxicology report, or their blood alcohol level at(will be huge) the time they attended hospital. I remember during the rohypnol panic, the rape crisis centre reporting out of 200 alleged spikings not one person tested positive for a date rape drug outside those who had voluntarily ingested a benzo

"I found a pinprick in my lap where the pain was and it was then I thought it's kind of official, I'd been spiked by an injection."

Yes, “it’s kind of official”. Ok then..

In the past people were warned about the possibility of someone spiking their drinks. Now the same old thing is turned into another “women are not safe” hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I am sure most of those who claimed their drinks had been spiked had just consumed too much alcohol, but somebody else secretly adding a shot of vodka to a pint a few times during a night out is another form of spiking in my eyes.

I have had it done to me by friends who thought it would be hilarious to get me absolutely legless on my birthday many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was study done in one of the London hospitals about people claiming to have been spiked

only a handful of cases where anything was found in their blood only blackout levels of alcohol

• Advertisement

A few years back an A&E doctor on one of the morning programmes said just what you’ve just said. The only thing put in their alcohol was more alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Latest moral panic bogeyman, propelled by media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The number of times I've picked up my missus gibbering about only having 2 drinks whilst she's been out on the tiles since 4pm... She must be getting a drink spiked every time.

A bit after houry but are you sure you are the only one picking up the missus after a night on the tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Spiking has been around for years. Like a poster said earlier I would never have left a drink unattended in case some sick f**k got their kicks out of slipping something into it.

Anyone caught interfering with someone's drink or jabbing them with a needle, jesus how sick and twisted do you need to be to do that, should face a jail sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

Headline says one thing.. goes through all the ones that made reports then the important bit , "Police said the arrests were not linked to a specific report by an individual of an alleged spiking by needle, or contamination of a drink." It seems in part of their investigation of dozen of complaints, none were linked to the two arrested. i.e lots of hysterical false complaints

I suppose a randomer posting on an Irish website has greater insight than the investigating police who were acting on information supplied to them.

read the article and the quote i gave. it looks like in the course of the investigation they uncovered a crime unrelated to any of the allegations.. I bet when and if charges are brought it will be about drug possession only

I have. "It looks like..."is your speculation. Let's wait on the investigating officers supply evidence rather than randomer speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I really hope nobody immediately dismissing the claims have daughters.

Those poor girls face an awful upbringing.

They're the very same folk who'd be all grizzly bear dad if they had.

You're basing that on what now?

Yes, folk that young can think their drink was spiked when they just drank too much. I thought it myself once when I was 22 - it was definitely just too much drink/smoke though - so I'm not denying that possibility.

But if these girls are finding needle marks, let's cut them some slack instead of defaulting to the standard "women just looking for attention" trope.

Go on, be different! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

and what would they be injecting them with, do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Housefree

The amount of people that I no saying they got spiked ' I was never like that after 15 vodkas'

Have been leaving my drink lying about looking for the mystical free drugs for years, never happened

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Never happened to you, so therefore it never happens.

Typical lazy tropes.

From the lack of evidence it appears to be alcohol in the vast majority of cases. But the actual new superdrug is certainly intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I remember being young and making a show on a Saturday night....the company line was always "I must of been spiked".

I remember it too but there weren't needle marks.

• Advertisement

I would hope my daughters wouldn't jump to conclusions without evidence and wouldn't jump to conclusions based on hysteria.. The " pinmarks " show could have been inflicted by anything small and sharp, such as pins in new clothing, insect bites(without reaction), small splinter on a surface etc

Seriously a night out, blacking out, mysterious injuries sustained.. We have all been there.

Advertisement