Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'd recommend this light

• 11-10-2021 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I've no connection with the shop or product but just wanted to give some heads up feedback here that if you are looking for a great little front light with a small form factor then this Bontrager one is a brilliant little thing

I bought it recently from here

and I bought this Mount with it to mount it underneath my Garmin out front mount with the GoPro type fitting https://www.altitude.ie/components/finishing-kit/bontrager-blendr-universal-ion-mount-stem-in-black__9309

I've been using in flash mode as a daytime running light and there is a seriously bright flash from it. In full light mode it is also very bright.

It can link to my Garmin with Ant+ so turns on automatically when you start the ride and gives low battery warning when required.

The biggest surprise I got though when it came in the post was just how small it was. Even though I had seen the pictures of it online they didn't get across how tidy it was. I hate clutter on my bars so this is perfect for me. I can't even see it underneath the Garmin.

Can thoroughly recommend it you are looking for something similar.

Post edited by gn3dr on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great idea for a thread!

cycling gear recommendations…..

do it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first recommendation is to use a light where you can replace the battery; i've a couple here which are bricks after they stopped charging, with no ability for me to replace the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can I ask how the mounting system works with the Garmin out front mount? Did you need to buy an additional part to give you a go-pro mount under the Garmin mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I bought this mount last year https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07GBS3QMM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It already has the go pro mount bolted underneath, but I think you can buy the bolt on GoPro bit on its own for most Garmin mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cateye's GVolt20 probably is too weak for a lot of people here, but it's a great small urban commuter light, more than bright enough, with a properly shaped beam that illuminates the road and not the sky, and takes two AAs (rechargeable or otherwise, obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've had a pair of these Ion 200RT's for about 3 years now, and they get used in daytime running light mode every time I ride, so they've done about 550 hours over 16,000km and the batteries have not noticeably lost any capacity. If you have a Trek, you can get Blendr mounts that integrate with the stem (front) and saddle or mudguard (rear), and if you have other bikes, they have very sturdy universal mounts.

They're not too cheap compared to some lights, but they are good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A lot of lights will use 18650 or similar internally. If you can open the case without smashing it you can probably replace it.

The cheaper lights tend to be little bulkier but have the screws to open them without destroying the seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Can anyone recommend a good back light that fits on a back carrier? (My back carrier doesn't have a mounting plate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good back lights are hard to find. Especially if you have a saddle-bag, and thus obstruct seatpost-mounted lights.

There previous-generation Bontrager ones were surprisingly good, but I lost mine. The rear-light equivalent of the one that the OP recommends is 'grand', but nothing special. It can easily be put on a helmet, though, if that's your thing.

The Lezyne strip-drive (?) 150 lumen day-flash one is pretty bright, and can go on a seatstay or onto the seatpost. It might go onto the bar across the back-end of the carrier? Or use the seatstay? Or your helmet. REally, with a carrier, I'd probably go with a helmet-mounted rear light.

To my surprise, some of the cheapish amazon front lights are really quite good; alu body, decent mounting bracket, long life on 'flicker' or 'flash' modes, bright enough on 'full' to ride sensibly at night in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Thanks; seat stay (where I currently have a SeeSense) is not great as I'm a kind of tiny miniature person so the saddle's down so low that a seat-stay light is obscured by panniers.

Took a look at the Lezyne strip, but it looks as if it would slide around to face downwards.

I'd prefer not to wear a light on my helmet but to have it on my bike, and the back carrier is the only feasible place.

• Advertisement

If you split a cork, you can use the seat stay mount to mount a light on the back carrier.

A rubber strip around the metal before you put on the split cork stops it slipping or rotating too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can get a bracket that will fit onto the carrier to allow you to mount a light. Google 'bike rack light bracket'.

Yeah, if you have a mounting point for a rear reflector, there's often a bracket that can be bolted into that place instead. Cateye and Smart did them anyway.

Post edited by tomasrojo on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Where can you get the protected 18650 with the flying wings? I've not been able to source them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wings, do you mean tabs?

Advertisement