Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man arrested after violent incident in Kongsberg; Norway

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I think you'll find religion plays a strong role in many of these incidents.

I agree with the late Christopher Hitchens, religion really does poison everything it touches. (And I mean all religions, not just Islam)

Religion played a huge part in Brevik's 2011 attack. Firstly, he despised Islam and anyone who enabled it within his country - particularly politicians. Secondly, he was a white supremacist who displayed many characteristics of a Christian fundamentalist. If you know anything about the history of white supremacy, it is deeply rooted in certain denominations of the Christian faith. And not by accident either.

I have no problem with people's personal and private faith, so long as they are peaceful people and don't use it as justification to harm others. But organized religion has been a disaster in human history, and it is something which I sincerely hope dies off as soon as possible. The world will be a much better, safer and happier place once we have consigned these dogmatic cults to the rubbish bin of history!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

We could start with not treating it with kid gloves and critisise it where it deserves criticism.

Take the Danish cartoons or the Charlie Hebdo murders - the media and world governtments reaction was to apologise to the fanatics.

We had Irish examiner journalists tweeting that basically they should have shown Islam respect and so they woudln't have been killed - disgraceful.

If every single paper around the world had published those cartoons then that would have been a huge message .. they can't kill them all ... but sadly they grovel and apologise - this emboldens the extremists, that and moderate Islam gives the extremists a path.

Islam just needs to be treated the way christianity is , no fear ...

Sadly it seems Islam is a sacred cow of the left, so it doesn't look like changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. Norwegian police held a press conference about the incident.

They said the perpetrator, Espen Andersen Bråthen, also used "stabbing weapons" in the attack, so not everything was done with a bow and arrow. He started with the bow inside the supermarket, but then lost it at some point during the event, and didn't have it with him later when he was attacking people in the street.

They also said their theory about the perpetrator's conversion to Islam has "weakened" and that mental illness was the main reason behind the attack.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/0G3qmM/politiet-siktede-brukte-stikkvaapen-i-angrepet-paa-kongsberg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Have the Norwegian Police mentioned how he got the other weapons into his possession when he was attacking other people outside the supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I am no fan of Islam, but I was thinking the same since I saw the video, the guy looked more like a nutter that just said he was a Muslim to cause controversy more than anything, I'd say he believes in it as much as I believe in Scientology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I agree Islam should be treated like all other religions, try and find a single comment from me suggesting otherwise, please.

But the comment I replied to stated

"Just maybe there is a problem with the idealogy. While most Muslims are good people trying to livedtheir lives, more Islam generally means a more violent society in Europe and the middle east.

Ireland needs to make changes now before we see more sh1t like this attack here"

How does treating Islam like any other religion avert that posters fears?

How does stating that there is a problem with Islamic ideology treat it the same as all other religions?

Or they simply didn't know him well. The time of close knit communities has mostly disappeared, and it's very easy nowadays to not know your neighbors beyond a few facts about his career, family, etc. To know someone's personality, you'd have to spend repeated or extended periods with that person.. that's hard to do with people you have no real connection with.

Advertisement