Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me a bike computer

• 06-10-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I use Strava and my smartphone for rides. Works fine but I'm planning on getting a computer-

• save phone battery
    • see my average speed & current speed (Why or why can't Strava have this????)
    • if I can enter a route it'd be nice to see how far I've traveled, how far left to go.
    • Strava segments & notify when approaching & your progress during the segment? (I don't have premium Strava atm but liked this feature when I had it).

I don't want to break the bank, willing to buy 2nd hand as well.

Cheers,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

While a bike computer like Garmin Edge / Wahoo Bolt etc are excellent, you can improve navigation with phone using Komoot - an excellent route planning and navigation app.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a Garmin Edge 520 available on adverts: https://www.adverts.ie/bike-computers/garmin-edge-520/24976602

It depends on what you're after but I have the 520+ which includes a heart rate monitor, speed sensor and cadence sensor.

The GPS on the garmin will calculate your speed fine using GPS but the speed sensor is a bit more precise (and knows better when you start & stop).

It has auto-pause and resume functionality (e.g. for when you stop at traffic lights), you can load routes (designed on the Garmin website) and afterwards sync up what you've done with Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

If you are going for a new device I would recommend the Edge 530 - it has just about every feature you could ever need. I find the the navigation really handy when I'm leading club spins and climbpro is a really nifty feature. The battery lasts for ages - I think it would need to be a multi-day spin before it ran low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the most basic garmin they make - the edge 25 - and for my cycling, it's absolutely fine.

i was lucky to get it for €45 in aldi or lidl, i see it's still about four times that price from garmin themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

I have a Garmin Edge 520 Plus - got it from Speedlab (check out their website), bought speed, cadence sensors and heart rate monitor separately.

It's probably mid tier Garmin but works perfectly for me - maps, strava segements etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Interested in something like this as well as mentioned by the OP - I use the Garmin Fenix 6 watch while on the gravel bike, also usually have the phone with me. I could so with something mounted up front to prevent myself from getting off route - what has happened :) Would it be just a case of mounting the phone or just get a simple display for up front to keep me on track.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I had a spare phone lying around so I use Komoot, it'll display speed, gradient, distance left, update navigation etc.

I do still record the cycle on my Garmin watch though for uploading to Strava. I initially thought I'd use it for a while and then get and Edge, but I don't see any reason to upgrade at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I initially used my phone with a Quadlock mount running Cyclemeter which gives you a lot of the information you are looking for. After about 6 months I wanted speed/cadence/hr so I bought a garmin 130+ but ended up still mounting my phone for navigation as the 130+ only had basic directions. 6 months later I upgraded again to a Hammerhead Karoo 2 as my phone battery wouldn't last the longer spins.

If you don't need a map the 130+ is a great little device with live segments and climbpro.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Another vote here for the Garmin 530. I bought the bundle one (HRM, cadence & speed sensors) a year ago and did hesitate initially based on the price, (349 from Alltricks) . But now, if I lost it in the morning I'd have no hesitation about buying another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used a Garmin Edge 520 for 5 years. I found it pretty good but prone to incorrect speed under tree cover - easily solved with a speed sensor. Battery life on the 520 became quite poor after two years. It would barely last for 4 hours. Within a year that dropped further to less than 2 hours.

Last year I bought a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. I find it really good. Display is clear and battery life is +14 hours with navigation running. While I prefer the Wahoo, there are one or two features on the Garmin that I miss such as elevation profile on a loaded route which is much harder to read on the Wahoo.

I still use the Garmin on my commuter bike as my commute is only 4km each way so it suits the crap battery life.

The Wahoo is my number one on my road bikes and I'm happy with it. If I was in the market for a new computer right now, I'd prefer a Wahoo by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

I also have a garmin 520, generally its been very good, its almost 5 years old now. Battery life is still good, not unusual to get the weeks + cycling circa 200 to 300 kms in a good summer week. I had to do a factory reset twice when it froze on me. Always check it for updates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hammerhead Karoo. Lance Armstrong and Chris Froome use it so it must be good right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Another vote for Wahoo over Garmin here. Had Garmin 520 before and bought and paid for the Garmin 1030 earlier this year and the shop messed me around in telling me when it was going to be there to collect so I cancelled and bought the Element Roam.

Very happy with it. Tactile buttons better all round than touch screen and was way easier to set up than Garmin. The navigation feature is excellent and particularly if you go off route it directs you to pick up the route again in an appropriate manner rather than directing you back to your last point when you were on the route which I understand Garmin does, but maybe I'm wrong in that respect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Garmin 1030 redirects you "on the fly" to the best point to re-access the route. Its more to do with the level of the device, the Bolt is absolutely useless at getting you back to the course if you go off.

I love my 1030, particularly the huge screen, but I doubt it fits your "not breaking the bank" criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That seems to have everything I want & is a decent enough price. Cheers.

Based on people saying they prefer the Wahoo & doing some more research I think I'll go for the Wahoo Element.

Does it, or any similar computer show how far I have to go to the next town/village on my route (not just my final destination)? Maybe something I wouldn't use often but I imagine it'd be a nice feature.

Thanks,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have the Bolt and on a planned route it doesn't specify distance to a town, however it does count down the distance to the next turn on the route as you travel along.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It should be possible with Cues. Ive not done it though.

You cant use RWGPS though as it wont sync them down, just the track.

Just loaded a test one, works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You CANT use RWGPS. Other sites like AllTrails work by exporting a TCX and pushing it onto the Bolt with the app.

Cues would be towns you wanted to stop in Dinnee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

My wife is requesting a Christmas present. I need to get her a handlebar mounted sat nav system and also a rear sensor to detect approaching cars. Can any of you recommend that sort of a system for me? Thanks.

It sounds like she also needs a new bike!

Anyhow, there are a number of GPS devices out there and it will be a matter of preference in many respects. If you look at the likes of CSS, they have a load of options: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=267&withstock=1 (registering for free wityh them gives you a discount). These

Depending on how serious she is about cycling, many of the bike GPS devices also allow for Heart Rate Monitors, wheel speed sensors and pedal cadence sensor which can double the price of the kit. You can see some of these bundles in the above line.

In terms of rear lights with radar, you're probably looking at the likes of the Garmin Varia for about €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks Seth. I spoke to a nice man there in that store, Ciaran. All sorted now with Garmin devices. €500.

I know it's a step up pricewise, but does anyone have a hammerhead karoo 2? If so, how do you rate it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I have one. I really like it, constant updates, very clear screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 RWGPS_Chad

Hi dinneenp,

This is Chad from Ride with GPS, and I see that you have asked about cues and RWGPS. RWGPS (Ride with GPS) offers a website for route building and data analysis, along with a mobile app for Android and iOS. We sync with many external GPS devices, including the Wahoo ELEMNT. You can also export GPX, TCX, or FIT files from the website to add to your device(s).

With our platform, custom cue can be added to your route that represents the city you are trying to reach. The custom cue will be transferred from Ride with GPS to a Wahoo ELEMNT through an automatic sync.

Garmin devices work a bit differently, but you can use a TCX Course file to include the custom cues. Custom cues are simply cuesheet entries that you make yourself -- as opposed to auto-generated cues like 'Turn left on 1st Ave'. With custom cues, you can enter any text that you'd like and it will show in the cuesheet on your device, or in the Ride with GPS mobile app. If you are using the Ride with GPS mobile app, the custom cues will be read aloud as part of voice navigation.

Below I list a few help topics to give you some more detail about your questions:

Syncing a Wahoo - https://ridewithgps.com/help/wahoo-elemnt

Syncing a Garmin - https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-courses

Exporting a File - https://ridewithgps.com/help/export-file-formats

Custom Cues - https://ridewithgps.com/help/edit-cue-sheet

Full list of features - https://ridewithgps.com/help/compare-plans/

We have a great support crew that would be very happy to answer any other questions you have. Shoot them an message at info@ridewithgps.com

Enjoy the ride!

Advertisement