Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indycar 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Alex Palou has been brilliant and a deserved champion. To come from somewhat obscurity as a middling GP3 driver to win the Indycar championship in the most competitive field in 20 years in just his 2nd season really is incredible I don't think anyone saw this coming pre-season

So frustrating for Pato to have his season end with questionable qualifying times knocking him out of the Fast 6 and that clown Jones taking him out on Lap 1. With McLaren taking majority ownership of the team next season and a likely 3rd car to be added he will have a much better opportunity next season

Herta taking the final two wins this season may be an ominous sign for next season, the extent he has outperformed his high calibre Andretti teammates driving an often poor handling car is outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So when does Indycar 2022 start? I might follow it next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Barring another major world-altering event, the weekend of February 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Pagenaud has been confirmed at MSR for a full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Perfect signing for a team whose focus is the Indy 500, probably the best oval driver in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 623 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Think I will try the same, caught bits and bobs this year. Would like to watch more races next season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Nico Hulkenberg to test in the Arrow McLaren IndyCar at Indianapolis next week for an evaluation.

It would be great to see him in IndyCar.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That would indeed be good and another reason to watch it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

2022 is definitely going to carry momentum for the series way things are going. 26 cars minimum for every race, Iowa double header boosting the ovals races slightly, Grosjean full-time in a top team, Jimmie Johnson probably going to do Indy 500 and new 2023 hybrid formula testing to commence

I think signs are looking good that Hulk will end up in that 3rd McLaren, it may be limited to part-time on the road courses but he would be some addition for even a handful of races

Christian Lundgaard has signed to drive the 3rd Rahal/Letterman car on a multi-year deal with backing from Alpine, Jack Harvey signed last week team to drive their Hyvee car I thought Ferrucci would have got that drive

Strong rumours that Michael Andretti raised capital to buy an F1 team likely Sauber/Alfa Romeo which would see Colton Herta end up in F1 next season or at latest 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The legendary 4 time Indy 500 winner Al Unser Sr has died aged 82 following a long illness. Younger brother of Jerry and Bobby , and father of Al Unser Jr. Al Sr famously won his last Indy 500 in '87 replacing an injured Danny Ongais mid practice. The car Al won in had been sitting in a hotel lobby as a display car in the weeks prior to the race !

It was also my first Indy 500 thanks to ScreenSport and I have watched Indycar ever since.

Al Unser Sr, thank you for the introduction to Indycar, RIP

• Advertisement

A great one, RIP Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tatiana Calderon has secured a part-time road course drive with Foyt, it's been a few years now since there was a female regular season driver since the days of Danica and Simona. I will be surprised if she is not battling it out at the back of the field with her teammate Kellett not sure how that's going to help Kyle Kirkwood in that team

ST. PETE THIS WEEKEND

• Practice 1, Friday 8:40pm — no coverage
    • Practice 2, Saturday 2pm — Sky Sports F1
    • Qualifying, Saturday 5:30pm — Sky Sports F1
    • Warmup, Sunday 1:45pm — no coverage
    • Race broadcast, Sunday 5pm — Sky Sports F1

Race will be 100 laps around the 1.8-mile street and airport circuit. Green flag at 5:30pm.

The full-season entry list consists of 26 cars, all but one will have the same driver full-time:

• #2 🇺🇸 Josef Newgarden, Team Penske Chevrolet
    • #3 🇳🇿 Scott McLaughlin, Team Penske Chevrolet
    • #4 🇨🇦 Dalton Kellett, AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet
    • #5 🇲🇽 Pato O'Ward, Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
    • #06 🇧🇷 Hélio Castroneves, Meyer Shank Racing Honda
    • #7 🇸🇪 Felix Rosenqvist, Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
    • #8 🇸🇪 Marcus Ericsson, Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
    • #9 🇳🇿 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
    • #10 🇪🇸 Álex Palou, Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
    • #11 🇨🇴 Tatiana Calderón (R), AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet (road/street courses only; oval driver TBA)
    • #12 🇦🇺 Will Power, Team Penske Chevrolet
    • #14 🇺🇸 Kyle Kirkwood (R), AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet
    • #15 🇺🇸 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
    • #18 🇺🇸 David Malukas (R), Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Honda
    • #20 🇺🇸 Conor Daly, Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet
    • #21 🇳🇱 Rinus VeeKay, Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet
    • #26 🇺🇸 Colton Herta, Andretti Autosport Honda
    • #27 🇺🇸 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport Honda
    • #28 🇫🇷 Romain Grosjean, Andretti Autosport Honda
    • #29 🇨🇦 Devlin DeFrancesco (R), Andretti Autosport Honda
    • #30 🇩🇰 Christian Lundgaard (R), Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
    • #45 🇬🇧 Jack Harvey, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
    • #48 🇺🇸 Jimmie Johnson, Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
    • #51 🇯🇵 Takuma Sato, Dale Coyne Racing with RWR Honda
    • #60 🇫🇷 Simon Pagenaud, Meyer Shank Racing Honda
    • #77 🇬🇧 Callum Ilott (R), Juncos Hollinger Racing Chevrolet

Really looking forward to what I'm sure is going to be another great season. Not a whole lot of driver changes from the 20 drivers returning this season, only 4 are in new drives but alot of interest on Grosjean to see if he will win races with Andretti. Pagenaud moving to Meyer Shank to team with Castroneves also a big move to see where that team goes after their Indy 500 win in 2021

Rookie battles should be interesting too, most eyes on ex F2 drivers Ilott and Lundgaard and Indy lights champ Kirkwood, Lundgaard is in by far best position to challenge for wins in a very decent 3 car RLL team. David Malukas is a talented young driver too I'm interested to see what he do at Dale Coyne with Sato as his teammate. I don't think DeFrancesco and Calderon are yet ready for this level they will have alot of work to do to prove they are more than ride buyers

Hard to call who will win the title but you have to expect it will be a Ganassi or Penske again Palou should be confident. I hope Pato and Arrow McLaren/SP can develop more consistency to challenge the for the title Rosenqvist has to step up this season to assist on that front, watching for Andretti to see if they get act together on their engineering because then you will have Herta, Rossi and maybe Grosjean in the mix

Also Kildare driver James Roe Jr is competing in Indy Lights this season so Lights definitely worth a watch for some home interest

Scott McLoughlin on pole tonight. I'd love to see him win it, massively talented driver who took a huge risk moving to Indycar a couple of years.

Huge statement for McLaughlin at the start of his 2nd full season ahead, really impressive performance looks like he is going to go up a level this season looking forward to see if he can carry this display through the race with the competition that is going to be chasing him down

Chevy powered cars performing alot better than expected on a more Honda friendly street track with Veekay back on impressive form in 4th and Kirkwood 11th/Kellett 14th showing massive improvement in performance in the usually struggling AJ Foyt cars. On the flip side of the Chevy cars that's a disastrous qualifying for Arrow McLaren early signs not good if Pato is to challenge for the title again

I think Kirkwood is a very special talent. Winning 10 races in a season in this day and age is very special and it's not like he hasn't been doing similar all through the different development series he's been in.

I don't think it'll be long before he's contending for Indycar honours.

Fair play to Scott McLaughlin. Drove a great race. I was expecting some drama at the end but he certainly held off Palou like he's been doing this all his life.

Yeah, very classy performance from Scott.

• Advertisement

That was outstanding by McLaughlin particularly that first stint on the reds to make them last that long that was the defining sequence of the race. Alot of talented drivers can take their 2nd full season to come good in Indycar, in fairness to him I think he may have been saddled with the 4th best Penske car and crew last season like a test/developmental team now he was a new race engineer/more experienced crew he looks as legitimate a threat as Newgarden and Power will be this season

If anyone was thinking Alex Palou was a one season wonder he answered that emphatically with his own excellent performance staring 10th to finish 2nd and push McLaughlin all the way, 8 of the top 10 on starting grid finished in the top 10 in the race it was a difficult race to move up the grid on a tight track with hardly any cautions

Texas running at the moment, looks like early in the race some passing is possible at least.

Arrow McLaren pitstop nightmares. Some clatter the mechanic got.

Some nasty crashes on these restarts. It's such a fast track, and cleaning up tyres in the first few corners proving difficult. And going two or three wide on restarts is not a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nobody talk to Zak Brown for the next 24 hours.

Much better race at Texas than past few years though I can't see it returning for next season. After two races on completely different tracks not any real surprise Penske and Ganassi cars dominating already with upper hand to the Penske trio. McLaughlin so impressive again and unlucky not to hold on for 2 from 2

Jimmie Johnson's progression during that race to finish 6th was brilliant to see you would hope he can now be contention for the Indy 500. Santino Ferrucci put in the best performance of the day, got the call to replace Harvey at 9am of the morning of the race, started from the back in 27th when all Rahal cars qualified poorly and he drove to a 9th place finish, he deserves a full-time drive

I was sick after it, had McLoughlin backed at 18/1.

Anyways it was a great race with different drivers getting big runs at different stages. Newgarden looked good early then fell back, maybe on purpose, but timed it perfectly for the win.

Jimmy Johnson had a great day, looks like he is getting used to Indycar now. He could win one soon. I think I'll back him in the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Keep an eye on the indy lights too Kildare man James Roe Jr is racing in them this year.

ROUND 3 — LONG BEACH

All sessions on Sky F1.

Friday 8th April

• 11:15pm — Practice 1

Saturday 9th April

• 4:45pm — Practice 2
    • 8:05pm — Qualifying

Sunday 10th April

• 8:00pm — Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach
    • 8:45pm — Green flag (85 laps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Good to see Andretti running at the front ago at Long Beach , thought Romain would get the pass on Josef at the end. Another bad day for Herta, Nashville all over again - still he is fast !

Latest updates from Indy suggest the grid will be 32 cars with a possibility of Paretta adding a car to bring the field to 33 , so no bump day as it stands.

Lack of available crew (and only Chevy willing to supply an engine) are the reasons provided by teams ie the usual suspects that add an Indy only entry : ECR, Dale Coyne etc

Advertisement