Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any thoughts on the Vitus Mach E (ebike) ?

• 08-10-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for an ebike that's relatively normal looking , has good range, good build quality and won't break the bank. This seems to fit the bill

Any thoughts?

J

Post edited by jon1981 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Just little bump in case there's any ebike enthusiasts out there willing to comment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Nice looking bike - I really like that. Looks relatively light and a lower profile than most ebikes which might help with wind resistance which is something I struggle with. I prefer the non-integrated battery also.

What are you considering using it for? I see it has rack and mudguard mounds which are a necessity for commuting IMO, as are wired in lights but these can generally be incorporated later (at a cost). That bike will be very responsive and quick (to 25kph) with that drive system - is that what you want?

My only concern would be the Shimano motor just because I've no experience other that with Bosch drive systems. Key question would be how much pedal resistance does it have over the assist cut-off as that bike will go like a rocket up to 25kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I've got a Vitus Esommet 2021 (MTB). Build quality is great, and the spec for the money is hard to beat. The bike looks like a good deal, I don't know much about the E6000, a quick google shows the motor was released in June 2018. Shimano have released a new motor ep8 this year which was on some of the Vitus MTB's not sure if that will trickle down to the commuter style bikes just yet but coming in at 1,000 for just the motor alone it will probably be a price increase on this bike.

I'd say you will easily clock in 100km on a charge and hitting the 25kmh limit will be easily done. At 17kgs that seems like a competitive weight for an ebike.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I plan to use it in all manner of ways by primarily commuting to work 20km each way and and also pulling a kids trailer now and then. I think that bike is a nice fit for commuting and just nipping to the shop. It seems relatively well powered and it's quite light. The price definitely seems to be more competitive so I'm thinking there must be a catch!

I believe the e6100 (an improvement on the E6000) has up 65nm of torque which should be sufficient for a relatively effortless 20km cycle. Most mid hub ebikes have extremely heavy features like suspension and large frames. Very off-putting!

Have you ever tried an ebike before? I would definitely try before buying. I bought mine without testing and was initially very disappointed with the performance over the 25kph cutoff. I have the gen2 Bosch which is outdated now - I would imagine the motor on that Vitus is much better in that regard. You wouldn't have to try that exact bike, any bike with the shimano motor will give you a very good idea.

I commute 32km a day on my bike - its very good at that as it will push you through practically any weather, up any hill etc. However, as i said before, wired in lights, mudguards, rack, pannier bag, kickstand are commuting essentials IMO. Add in a lock, and Ergon grips (really good) also. You won't be long putting ~5kg on that bike with that lot. In saying that ebike weight is really only a consideration if you have to lift/carry the bike. Wind resistance is far more of a factor for efficiency.

I have a trailer for the kids, the bike is excellent at pulling it, can go up some serious hills no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you want to move soon - the M option which was showing one in stock two days ago, is now sold out.

when you first posted this, no options were available, so they obviously got a little bit of stock in since, but it's obviously selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looks decent. Carbon fork and wide tyres for comfort and hydraulic discs for consistent braking in wet conditions. Reasonable weight too.

I've ridden 2 ebikes, a rear hub 40Nm Orbea and my own 60Nm Canyon Endurace ON mid drive. The Orbea was grand but lacked the power to really get up hills.

Worth looking if there's decent assistance levels, any software tuning etc.

I grabbed the last medium! 😁

I had an alert setup for when they came back into stock which was October 8th. They must have only got a handful in stock if they sold out so quickly.

I did try a few, the shimano seemed very smooth and i didn't notice the power cut off as much as others. I know it will be heavier when I make it commute ready but it's nice to know i can lighten the load when i want. I'll probably change up the tyres with something slightly narrower. I'll see when they arrive what they feel like.

Yeah i think 60nm is the minimum requirement and gives more usage options than 40nm. Pulling a kids trailer rules out hub motors from what I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Take a look at Ribble bikes, battery is completely hidden. That Vitus is nice but Ribble are really nice! Fiido or Radbikes are also worth a google

I don't think a hub motor would rule out a bike trailer, you just have to put the trailer hitch on the side that doesn't have the cable on it. What makes the mid-drives very good for towing is the torque is effectively multiplied by the gear reduction on the drive train. Hub motors operate differently but still should be able to tow, although may be limited on steep inclines.

Re. bikes with small hub motors and small batteries, if you read the reports of the ebikemotion system fitted to Ribble that is stated to produce 60NM, in reality the mid drives deliver a lot more grunt.

Hub motors do have advantages however, much less drivetrain wear for starters. Also if you don't want to push you can just spin the pedals and it will power along (useful if you break a chain 😁) as they are cadence sensing. Some people see them as more reliable too but my Bosch system did 20k km before needing a rebuild and its done 4k since. Original battery too.

Slight disadvantage with a hub motor is that you cant have a quick release on the driven wheel so you would need a spanner if you get a puncture. I prefer the response of the mid-drive as its torque sensing and feels very natural to pedal, also you do have to push so I feel like i get more exercise.

Best to try a few different options. The cannondale Neo range has Bosch motors but is more expensive than the Vitus.

Ribble bikes are lovely! If i didn't need a larger range and higher torque I'd definitely consider it!

The Neo was one bike i was strongly considering but I couldn't justify the extra spend. Yes it looks lovely but beyond the mid drive motor being a Bosch and nicer styling it wasn't worth the extra 1.5-2k to me.

Advertisement