Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using teams on mobile for job interview?

• 19-10-2021 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

As per title I've a job interview this week via teams but my laptop is out of action. My brother used his phone recently with no issues but I read a comment here recently saying whatever you do don't use the phone. I've never used teams. Is it something that would be a major problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I guess don't use the phone in terms of holding it in your hand and looking down at it, while you walk around the kitchen.

If you can prop the phone up in an appropriate place at head height so that it doesn't look like you're talking on a phone, and use a pair of headphones so that you can hear the interviewer clearly, then I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

As above. I interviewed 2 people by Teams last week and both tried to hold the phone in their hand which means they were looking down at the screen - very disconcerting. At one stage one of the candidates gave me a closeup of their nostrils and I had to ask them to stop, find a book and put the phone on a table.

You also need to be aware of the background you are portraying behind you - I know one person who left a clothes horse in view with the washing drying on it.

Finally, even though you are at home, dress appropriately. One guy wore a hoodie (with the hood on his head) and when asked he said the house was cold.

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Nonsense. I wore a black tshirt for my job I just took, and I interviewed over zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Of course, everyone knows the direct correlation between laundry and job performance!

The background laundry portrays is "during this global pandemic, I'm working from home, like everyone else is, I also dont have a home office, so you can look at my laundry or you can look at me"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

To be fair interviewing with your hood up is taking the piss. Casual is fine but there are limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Does it not depend on the type of job/employer you are interviewing for? I recently joined a company where suits are the office attire. Obviously, as I was at home, it would seem a little silly wearing a suit in my own home, but I did make sure I was in an office shirt (didn't bother with tie) for the interviews over zoom. As the interviewers were also working from home, that was also the clothing they were wearing, so all was good. But definitely would have felt underdressed if I was in a hoodie/t-shirt. Working there now, I wear a suit the days I'm in the office and hoodie/t-shirt etc is fine for days you are working from home, but making some effort for the interview was appropriate.

I used the phone for teams for a few interviews last year, and had a couple job offers so it did absolutely no harm. But like others have said don't hold it in your hand, I fixed it up against some books at a level that you could see my head and shoulders straight and had it as if it were my laptop and then just used some bluetooth earphones to speak then.

You can only do what you can in these situations so if your phone is all you have, I'd advise if you can having a steady stand for the phone set up at a good angle (straight facing, not pointing upward as if you're a villain!) - best of luck in the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Cheers guys. I was never going to have it in my hand anyway and have it set up well before the start and as for attire the plan is to wear what I would if it was in the guys office.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure.

General rule though is that you can't really overdress for an interview, but you can underdress.

If you turn up in a suit and tie and the interviewer is in jeans and shorts, you can make a joke out of it and say the recruiter told you to put on a suit.

But if you're in a hoodie and ripped jeans and the interviewer is expecting smart/casual wear, there's not really any way for you to claw that back.

All that said, I'm usually pretty upfront and I'll ask the HR person whether the interviewer is expecting smart attire. You usually know by the company, but sometimes you get an old-fashioned interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Fork out for a laptop just for an interview? No thanks. His office is right across the road from my current job I could meet him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

It's just a bit of common sense. I think most potential employers will recognise the challenges of working from home and therefore you will get away without wearing a shirt & tie etc, having some background noise etc.

But you are doing yourself no harm in throwing on a shirt, going away to a quite part of the house with a neutral background and so on.

You are selling yourself and it's the small things that can matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No I'd say get a new laptop just to have one. Can't be without a PC on the house tbh.

Sorry. I see what u mean. My laptop is out of action but being fixed just not in time.

Advertisement