Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopped by Gardai for 4D number plates

Options
  • 19-10-2021 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi 

so I was stopped by Gardai for 4d number plates they took my details, they told me you have to change your number plates and go to the nearest Garda station to check them out they also said you’ll be summoned to court, now I’m not sure they were just giving me a warning or were serious, when i change the number plates I went to Garda station a day after this occurred the Garda told me we have nothing on you in the system and the Garda himself said they might told you this to scare you. Now I’m a bit of worried as I never been to court in my life, can anyone please tell me if they were in same situation. 

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kil

I had to look up what 4D plates were. Did they comply with the legal requirements for size, font etc? If they did I'd leave them on the car, if not I'd remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sean57

Hi kil,

yh I think mine was little different, I already change them, and will never put a 4d plates again.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can anyone tell me what 3D number plates would look like if these are considered 4D?

Unless of course the 4th dimension is "confusion", in which case, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know someone who got caught for the same offence. Went to station too and told it wasn't on the system went to court and got 3 months in the joy. He hasn't been the same since his release.

Well you have all that to look forward to OP.

wosgoingon,

man now don’t scare me, I’ll barely sleep 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever happens , they still look absolutely sh*te . No offence op . But they're a sin.

Listermint,

ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Think the reason they’re illegal is because speed vans can’t recognise them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They may have been scaring you and will drop it now you've shown legal plates. But it should have been made clear to you by whoever sold you those that they are "show plates" and not road legal, so you may still be prosecuted

I'd consider them an injury risk to pedestrians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The reason they’re illegal (assuming the dimensions of the letters and numbers are correct, which is rare…) is that there is a requirement that the letters/numbers not be fixed to the front of the plate, and they must not be removable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could well be that the Garda you met hasn't had time to update his records on the Pulse system yet.

Did the Garda who saw your proper plates make a record of this?

Thanks for the reply.

No he didn’t, I want to go again next week and see if they have something on me.

Do I have to tell the Garda to take a record?

he said you’re all good, and said I’ll not be worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They're vile. Horrific looking on ANY car. Absolutely screams knacker.

Yh, I had them on for 2 weeks, removed them straight after they told its illegal 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

The only way I can envisage these hurting someone is if you scraped your leg on the embossed plastic if you walked past the front of the car.

It's also possible that they can't be picked up by speed cameras (at night).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

These guys say they are legal in Ireland.

Bear in mind though that they have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Slightly off topic but i've seen a few cars on the road with black plates with black numbers and can't for the life of me see how someone hasn't picked up on them. There's a black 7 series around cork with them that looks very well to be fair, but blatantly illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are those plates legal or for 'track use' only?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm old enough to remember when "4d" plates were the norm in the pre [year-county-nth registered car] days. Numbers were always falling or hanging off the plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...and they seem unable to spell 'Border' 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

One of my buddies is a Superintendent and several weeks ago he confirmed that due to an error in the FCPN system they can't prosecute non legal plates. Don't lose any sleep over it. And they are ANPR compliant.

I noticed that.

That's what happens when you do your own proofreading.

They do seem pretty sure about the legality of the plates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the interests of research/science/foostering around instead of going to bed, I just checked up 3D, 4D and 5D number plates and they are all the same type of plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Non-standard plates are an immediate NCT fail, which basically ends the debate around legality. Obviously some people keep a set of basic plates just to pass the NCT, but the Guards can and will prosecute for them too, but not generally if a warning will suffice for a first offence and so on.

So, yes, illegal and also a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If they are have standard font,County,hyphen and euro badge then I'd be leaving them on if that's what your into. I've never been stopped over plates in 10 years of driving as all my jap cars have had the smaller font square plates, never failed an nct over them even the German plates on my a6 pass the test maybe because the "0" don't have the little dash through it

This is a link to the regs.

Just scroll down the page.

It is quite detailed.

Interested to hear comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never trust a vendor. The numbers could easily be popped off the plates on their site.

" and every letter or figure shall be indelibly inscribed or so attached to such surface that it cannot readily be detached therefrom"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup, the ones that look like the old metal plates, ie: barely raised from the background, would most likely be grand. But on that link, where it says click here if you're interested, the plate that it showed me would instantly call the guards over (if they're that type of Garda). One thing the Garda could say in court is that due to the high raise of the letters, at an angle they could merge and not be picked up by the ANPR.

When I was a Garda, I wouldn't pull someone in just for those plates, or the gammy yellow Irish ones (why? just why?!). But usually someone with those plates does something to elicit being pulled over. If that was the case, I'd mention it, but I don't think I ever followed up on it. Tbh, I usually just told them that a different Garda could do them, and they look horrible so change them.

It's one of the most specific pieces of legislation in Ireland. Why can't people just use the normal ones and not have to be different?

Re: Square plates on jap imports, I think they're exempt due to not having the long depression for the standard plates. Not 100%, but as long as they contain the 6 elements above, I don't think any Garda would say anything. German plates are illegal though, and just because you haven't been pulled doesn't mean you'll never be pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Many years ago when I worked in a motor factors, the standard plates were made up there and then using a jig and press to fit the letters and we ordered in acrylic plates as the modification for those who wanted different plates.

Advertisement