Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare tyre - RSA roadside testing

• 19-10-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80,796 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether your spare tyre can be legally inspected at one of these roadside inspections that RSA do or can you refuse it? I'd rather refuse it as I don't want someone ripping half the boot asunder and having me go fix up their mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can confirm it is not wise to have a boot full of cocaine at an rsa checkpoint as it may be found

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Assuming they operate under the same rules as the NCT then they can only inspect the Wheels/Tyres actually fitted to the vehicle. You are not obliged to carry a Spare (only exception is Taxis, Hackneys, etc.).

If you've to rip "half the boot asunder" to access the spare wheel, you're plainly doing something wrong.

Your first sentence is incorrect, they can advise you of any issues with the spare wheel. See the notes on section 5.2.3 of the NCT manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,796 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I'm a little OCD, the spare is housed perfectly. I can see it being lashed back in and holder cross threaded with the foamed packaging smashed.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'd allow you to remove it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

@Phileas_Frog.

I have read the manual....more than once. My first sentence is totally correct.. I said that "they can only inspect the Wheels/Tyres actually fitted to the Vehicle". That is correct.

They can only look at the visible portion of the Spare and advise on any issues they see. They cannot (and do not) inspect the Spare fully.

You have stated that "they can advise you of any issues with the spare Wheel". That is incorrect. They can only advise you of any issues that are visible on the spare wheel without actually removing it. They will not even attempt to look at a covered spare wheel, as found on the Boot Door of many 4x4's, etc.

Post edited by mgbgt1978 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They're not going to check the spare wheel, or even ask about it. You've no obligation to even carry a spare, but even if you had one, you've no obligation to keep it in any particular condition - until the point that you use it. At that point, it stops being a spare.

Think about it. You have a spare, you're driving along and you get a really bad puncture. Tyre gets ripped apart. You lash on your perfectly sound spare, put the wheel with the damaged tyre in the spare wheel well, and go off on your merry way. A bit further on, you get stopped at an inspection checkpoint. How could anyone say you're doing anything wrong by transporting the wheel with the damaged tyre under the floor of your boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

If tyre not touching road it won't be inspected it same with trucks with lift axle if axle is up tyre not looks at

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it all this week they are out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,796 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Knew a fella who used to smuggle in fireworks in the spare wheel well. Given the time of year, I wonder is that what the OP is concerned about. Multi agency check point, RSA man asks to see spare wheel, sees something and calls over Gardai and Customs, oh sh1t!

No, a private motorist does not need a roadworthy spare wheel or a spare wheel at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Or, you could just tell them the car doesn't have a spare? Plenty of cars on the road out there with just a pump and a can of tyre gunk instead of the spare wheel.

Advertisement