Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate and Underfloor heating?

• 09-10-2021 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone got this set up? Does it work out ok? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Yes we have good quality laminate and underfloor heating, no problems. Warm floors, warm house. Ensure you get the correct type of floor underlay which is designed with underfloor heating in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's actually a poor insulator that you want. Stay away for the foam underlay and look the the R value / tog value. Used balterio laminate and underlay. Careful selection of laminate is key. The bargain basement stuff will not let heat rise

Have it done 7 years and a nice job. Warm floors and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Is it electric or water ufh?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

thanks, really helpful comments here.

Its water ufh, from a gas fired combi boiler ...

I take the advice of staying away from bargain basement underlay but I should say I'm looking at laminate over engineer floorboards in order to save a few bob. ( I understand engineered wood to be better with UFH than laminate...but maybe that's a wrong view I have?)

So I guess I'm wondering what price range I should be looking at per metre square to get decent laminate. Any recommended suppliers, from your own personal experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pale rider

I have ufh on tiles and on laminate, the laminate is still cool when the tiles are toasty now maybe the laminate or underlay is wrong but it’s not great.

• Advertisement

The tiles have thermal mass which helps with the toasty feel. You can feel the heat out of the laminate, but the tile is still better

checked out balterio - seems they don't have an Irish stockist. Did you order them from the website?

Anyone else got recommendations for good quality laminate flooring brands? Noyeks?

We used Kronotex and Egger - obviously quality depends on the rating and thickness. We used Ac5 or Ac6 through out, 12 mm thick I think. Feels good on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭e.r

Floor design on kylemore road Dublin, use to stock balterio.

• Advertisement

Bought of a local guy who just does doors, architrave and flooring. Fitted all myself and a pleasure to fit. Will pm you my supplier

Essetially its an index of duarbility and toughness. The higher the AC rating the better.

Copied from another website :

AC1 – Residential, Moderate Traffic: Suitable for bedrooms or guest rooms

AC2 – Residential, General Traffic: Suitable for living rooms or dining rooms

AC3 – Residential, Heavy Traffic: Suitable for all areas

AC4 – Commercial, Moderate Traffic: Hotel rooms, small office

AC5 – Commercial, General Traffic: Office, boutique, café

AC6 is tougher wearing again

nice one, thanks for that.

Ok a different question but on the same topic of "laminate and UFH" so rather than start a new discussion.....

I've just that my UFH system should be "installed and in full working order for a minimum of eight weeks before your underlay and chosen floor are fitted....Underfloor heating can massively affect your installation process, so be sure to contact a professional fitter to ensure you are buying the right products for your home."

8 weeks? Seriously?!!!

Also I read elsewhere that laminate planks could be a DIY job...

SOURCE OF INFO is this site : (I've no commercial interest in this product and they are not available in Ireland afaik but their website is very informative and well written)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I have no info on if eight weeks is over cautious, but I am sure they want to be sure all moistures is driven out

Thanks. The screed etc went down last June but we're only starting up the heating system now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

That underlay you linked to has a tog rating of 1.01.

I was advised to go for an underlay with a rating of less than .5 tog.

I forget the name of the stuff now, but I remember I needed a separate moisture barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

We couldn’t lay our floor until the screed had fully dried. Was over two months ….

Get a moisture test done if you can on the floor. We got parquet flooring professionally laid and he measured the floor moisture 3 times before fitting, we had to wait several weeks longer before it was dry enogugh. We only put down the laminate at that stage.

• Advertisement

Thanks ..so I spoke to my builder about this and he says it doesn't apply - the floor laid was sand and cement, not clay - (that's what he said? I dunno if that makes sense?)

Oh yeah, I meant to link to this one, which has a tog rating of about 0.5 .

So the builder did some moisture tests at my insistance - they came up good I think - 0.2 if I'm reading the attached image correctly.

But that's with the heating off..... Is that kosher?

Thats a rough looking floor, is that the final finish you are laying the laminate on?

Thanks - no, the levelling compound has to go down yet.....

Advertisement