Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cheerylemon

Wahey boys, we're in business!

I haven't driven through these junctions yet but they look shockingly tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

They are. They will catch people by surprise travelling at 100kph who might be expecting a gentle off ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Level 12 and lower (i.e. zoomed out) only update periodically.

Level 13 to 19 (i.e. zoomed in) start updating immediately, starting with 19 within minutes. You may however need to refresh your browser manually - press CTRL + F5 simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I have been on the new road about three times. One thing I've noticed was that a lot of people speed on it. I noticed there are spots for Gardai to stop. So there may be (I hope) speed traps there going forward! Still far safer than the old road though!

I will miss seeing the house with all the Christmas lights/decorations at it every Christmas though!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I was on it yesterday both ways. It's fantastic bit of infrastructure that will open Sligo up more. Imagine it the N17 gets done to a similar quality it will really help the Sligo town and country.

The bones of the new route are beginning to appear now on Google Maps. It's by no means complete nor accurate but will likely be uploaded and fine tuned over the coming days.

I noticed the areas for Gardaí to park too. They're very discreet and you'll only see them when it's potentially too late. As per the post above, people seem to be driving 120 kms + in the fast lane...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yes! and 100kms at the cones just at the first roundabout at Collooney.

The areas are very discreet indeed and could be mistaken for a regular parking spot. I think anything over 100 kms is too fast for that road, if someone had a blowout at 120 things will no doubt get very messy. Maybe the speeding will subside when there is more garda presence..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Well I for one think I prefer them speeding on this big safe stretch of road designed for fast, efficient and safe travel than what they were doing on the old road.

Much much lower chances of bad crashes! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Looks like someone's already taken out a section of the barrier on it

Wait are you one of these people? Only joking! 🙂

It's a regional road! Designed for 100kp/h. If it's not designed for such speed it's not safe..

Only motorways are 120kp/h The old road was lethal no doubt about it.

Still, a higher chance of bad crashes if you travel at 120+ as opposed to the speed limit.

Not sure why you are trying to argue that speeding is safe.. Allowing extra time for their commute would be a better alternative surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Firstly it's not a regional road, it a national road, hence the N designation.

Modern roads are designed for higher speeds than the one that will be imposed on them. Most modern motorways are have design speeds of around 140 kmph. This road will be able to handle people traveling at 120kmph quite safely (even if it is illegal). Speeding on a grade separated dual carriageway is far safer than traveling at the speed limit on any single carriageway route that has side entrances, traffic crossing the road and overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The design speed of a road depends on the design and spacing of the junctions as much as the geometry of the mainline. There are single-carriageway roads that would be safe at 160 km/h .. if it wasn’t for the possibility of traffic joining suddenly from the left, or stopping to turn right; similarly, the N7 is 3+3 lanes and subject to 100km/h limits because it has many closely-spaced junctions with short slip-roads.

Or, to put it a different way, the only reason why a motorway is permitted to run at 120 km/h is because junctions are far apart, and all junction movements are gradual and are carried on filter lanes that run for at least 250 metres.

This new road does stop traffic crossing the centreline, but it still has sharp left-turn in junctions, just like a single-carriageway road has. For that reason, 100 km/h is the proper speed. The fact that these junction entrances are less frequent than on an un-upgraded single-carriageway does not make them less dangerous if someone darts out from the side road without looking.

A Type 2 Dual Carriageway is not designed to allow a faster speed limit. It is designed to make overtaking safer and dramatically reduce the chances of head-on collisions. This still requires drivers to drive within the limits of of how far ahead they can see clearly, the stopping distance of their car, their reactions and their level of attention. And because “everyone else” on the road is such a bad driver, that means 100 km/h for a Type 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... it also has no hard shoulders, and fewer pull-ins for breakdowns etc. Now, breakdowns are rare, but I wouldn't want to be stopped on a 2+2 changing a tyre with 120kmh traffic coming up behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

It also has been cambered to a very high standard, brilliant sightlines and long sweeping bends instead of undulating National Road with very short sightlines, and many hill brows.

The safety upgrade is absolutely overwhelming.

The junctions point is the issue that would be a safety concern at very high speeds, but the two lanes give space for avoiding an accident at speed for oncoming traffic, along with those sightlines.

Bottom line: Speeding on this road is obviously against the law as it is on every road, but the safety differential of doing it on this road v the old road is simply night and day 😊

Indeed! Where was I going with the regional part? I'm putting that down to sleep deprivation.. 😂

All valid points! I see where you're coming from though. I don't see the point in speeding regardless of the road. I think if you (people in general) give extra time for your commute it is a far better alternative for everyone.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see more garda presence on that road anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Why are the speed vans not being deployed to sections instead of wasting Garda resources doing the same job?

They do the road from Colloney to Sligo often enough.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The new road's been getting good reviews!

No idea, Although it would make more sense to be fair.

I did see a squad car sitting on the edge of the road a couple of months ago. Just where the traffic enters the road from Rivertown if you're heading towards Boyle/Dublin direction. I haven't seen it there since though!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

"Sligo County Council and Transport Infrastructure Ireland have estimated that the new dual carriageway will save 27 lives and result in 1,000 fewer injuries over the next 30 years."

That's what it's all about. Delighted for all the locals and not-so-locals who will benefit from this great new stretch of road. The accompanying greenway is the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Saving almost one life per year seems a bit much, surely there wasn't one person (on average) being killed on the old road every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think there was up until a few years back when they put some minor improvements in.

Given the cumberland gap nature of that stretch (good quality road either end) it encouraged speeding and in some cases, dangerous speeding.

The new road is a godsend and fair play to the construction people involved, they should get every contract going now. A fine example of how to do things correct, quick and efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Were the same people involved in the Hyde Bridge work in town? (They should never get a road contract again)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• It seems the white crosses and constant campaign to never let those who died on the old road be forgotten had an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wouldn't mind getting that group on the M20 case. I only drove the old road here twice and nearly got killed by a dangerous overtake on a slight hill. Dreadful Cumberland Gap style road and good riddance to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I doubt it made much difference. It's a strategic road combined with recent government pushing of Sligo and Athlone as regional centres. AADT of course is a big factor to.

Recall the Ballinasloe - Loughrea section of the old N6. Same deal with crosses etc. The NDP linking cities got that sorted, not the crosses IMO

Advertisement