Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laminate planks in kitchen

Options
  • 18-10-2021 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

hi folks,

Any got laminate in a domestic kitchen? Is this ok? I've just read here that even the "heaviest" graded laminate - AC5 Heavy Commercial - isn't able to resist water ....to quote that website:

"it has little to no effect on the laminates ability to resist water, so care will have to be taken when washing or mopping the floor."

Well maybe that's the same with any domestic floors materials....my other option being engineered wood - I've got water underfloor heating...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I have laminate in hall and kitchen/dining room.

It's down over 5years and is ok. We have a couple of very small marks on it from water damage. Cleaning etc is fine but you can't leave puddles on it as can sleep down through the gaps. Not ideal if you had a puppy for example.

With underfloor heating you could have tiles? There are also some waterproof laminates or linos available.

Anyway laminate is ok but probably won't get 20+ years out of it. Also we don't have the washing machine in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Great thanks for that info. I'm at the end of a large home renovation job and I'm trying to save a few quid on the flooring - and want a wooden floor look...

Seperately I have a downstairs loo planned and another small utility space where I was gonna stick the washing machine - sounds like I'd be wise to avoid laminate planks here. Engineered wood or tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Laminate in the kitchen here too (and all downstairs), no problems with water marks with mine but a few chips from dropping things in the kitchen onto it like knives mugs etc. You would want to be mopping up any spills though but our washing machine leaks onto it a bit and there's been no problems.

It is a cheaper option than tiles and engineered wood, you gotta take that into consideration, don't think it will last 20 years either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Same experience as @Tails142 above. Had (good quality) laminate in the kitchen for over 15 years. Despite a good few leaks (from washing machine mainly), after 15 years the only visible damage was a couple of chips from dropping things and the odd scratch from dragging things (....like the leaky washing machine!).

Advertisement