Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide to Lusk and avoid Blake's Cross?

• 18-10-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi.

Is there any way to avoid Blake's Cross when cycling from Malahide to Lusk to meet a friend? It's an insane road.

We want to enjoy a cycle together so I don't want to get the (very infrequent) train and bring my bike on it.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well, that's not true. There are plenty of other ways, but they all I involve sizeable detours.

To avoid Blake's cross, instead of heading towards it on the R132, head out the Balheary road and go for Ballyboughal, straight road up the R108 to Rathgreat and turn right towards the "Five Roads" roundabout. Turn right there again and it takes you on a small country road which brings you opposite the Quickpenny road and into Lusk.

That route doubles your mileage from about 14km to 28km but would be a nice cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Are you trying to avoid blakes Cross completely or just the road from blakes Cross to lusk? If you want to just avoid that road, and I'd agree with you, you can go straight past the right turn at blakes Cross and turn right at round towers petrol station about 1.5km up the road. That brings you in at the top of Dún Emer Estate or you can continue down the road and either come out at the church or further on down again at the Garda station.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can be done in about 18km.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

The road from Great Gas (Maxol) to that lorry depot place (can't recall it's name) is lethal.

You then turn right onto that road from Blake's Cross onto that road leading to Lusk (equally as dangerous).

I believe there is a Greenway in the pipeline linking Malahide to Donabate then Donabate to Rush and Lusk station.

Although the current plan is to skip Rush and Lusk and bring the Greenway straight from Donabate to Skerries. What a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Is there anything to be said for segregated infrastructure? A nice lane that doesn't take the piss strewn with rubbish and pedestrians, bisecting roads and driveways and with joggers and extendable dog leads.

Which TDs would listen the most?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Although the current plan is to skip Rush and Lusk and bring the Greenway straight from Donabate to Skerries. What a shame.

a straight line from donabate to skerries passes within 2km of Lusk, so i'd say there'd be a lot of pressure to link the town to it.

@Jeremy Sprocket, the plan is to put a cycle track along the rail bridge north of malahide - you can see it on the map i posted - which would cut out a lot of the faff people are discussing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can shorten that a bit by using Kilhedge Lane into Lusk. It's about half way between Blake's Cross and The Minister's Road.

Personally I'm not in favour of segregated infrastructure as it perpetuates the belief among many motorists that roads are for motor vehicles and cyclists shouldn't be on them. (....and I cycle through Blake's Cross almost daily).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

We found a way around it at the weekend. If our little bypass was combined with the map above, it could be a nice way to avoid the busiest sections. The old airport road is not pleasant either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DJB030244

Dreadful road that in general - coming from balbriggan towards swords is lethal passing the Lusk exit on left -

blake's cross? there have been a few fatalities over the years there. not sure of any cyclist fatalities, but i can find one example of one being seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Heading southwards.....I had a very close call a good few years . A car side swiped me and I hit the deck. To qoute the van driver coming behind me...'If I hadnt been paying attention I would have driven over you!'

If you can avoid it then do so!

There was a cyclist killed just south of the junction on a Sunday morning several years ago (Low sun on a wet road was speculated as the reason the motorist didn't see him).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭billyhead

I remember that. It was January I think and she was at the back of a group. That low sun heading South would blind you. The junction can be a death trap. You really need to be observant and on the ball however as we all know it's mostly always driver error.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

I never had any issues at the junction but I always felt exposed going in any direct except going north straight through. I found myself just subconsciously avoiding the junction, I will go north and at a push south on the from the r127 but otherwise I avoid it.

I remember a boardsie reporting being hit by a cars at the junction twice over a month or two and I have seen a few near misses on the morning commute.

Advertisement