Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery issues

• 26-09-2021 11:23am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got panels and batteries installed about 6 weeks ago.

The initial install wasn't great and the battery had a few call outs to get it right but it seemed to work ok.

for the last week it keeps turning its self off. When it's on it only charges to 46%.

company who installed it have been less than spectacular since.

its a prime module hooked up to a GivEnergy system with hot water diverter.

seems to turn its self off at night.

many ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I cant answer the question but that looks like ****. The batteries look very second hand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Them batteries look rough! (But that's just looks, they are prob fine.)

Have you any stats from any monitoring software.

Could they only be charging to 46% because that's all the excess that's available to put into the battery, as it's now September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The fact that it always only charges to 46% is a give away. If that number went up and down I might blame the sun but it never goes beyond 46%

Only software I have is the GivEnergy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hard to tell much from just those pictures... but a stab in the dark might be that there are two battery banks here (is it a 2 x 2.5kWh system?) and one of them is offline and so you are working off a max of 50% and the remaining one stops at 46% since they dont do a 100% DoD.

Thats just a wild guess though. Ultimately you need the installer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Bottom unit appears to have a red LED in one photo, but the reflection of green LED's in the other. Is the bottom unit showing different LED states?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Two battery banks. Each battery has 5 leds.

4 are battery % charged the other is the battery status. Green ok. Red not charging from what I have figured.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I think the only easy way to find out is to check inverter logs or connect to battery BMS but as @KCross has mentioned it could be that one of the batteries is either dead or has some connectivity/communication problem.

If logs or access to BMS is not available, the first I would do is power down the system is disconnect the cables and measure voltage of each battery. Most batteries have 48V nominal voltage(but please check in the manual) and it should not be lower than that. If it is then it is not all bad news but it depends how low it is. IF voltage is ok then test batteries individually. Just plug all cables to one see if it charges and then plug to the other one and see if it charges. Keep the comms(black with blue, brown wires) and power cables disconnected between the batteries. If this is ok then could be comms cable or connections on green blocks. Inspect the cable, wires and block. Measure end to end resistance and if needed redo connections.

Important: The above assumes that you have knowledge and tools on how to do this. If you don't please seek professional help. Electricity is dangerous.

Given that it's only installed c. 6 weeks i wont be going near it

Oh I am sorry I missed that part and looked at photos. I am sorry to say but judging from photos the batteries do not look 6 weeks old. In your place I would be asking installer to show me internal data from BMS on the spot. I would be interested to see the likes of Soh and number of cycles for both of them.

Digging a bit more into the battery.

Two battery packs installed. BAT PACK 1 50.9v 28% BAT PACK 2 42.4v 0%

Each battery has 16 cells. BAT Pack 1 has a max voltage difference of 1.088v. BAT PACK 2 has one cell reporting 0V and a Max Voltage difference of 3.19V

Is that the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The issue is your installer, with the best intention of friendly folk on random internet we can't see all cables and config, get onto your installer, there a lot of power there I would not be messing with

This is all through the app.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Check for dated labeling in/around the installation as there should be some clues there. It does not represent a professional installation as not a sign of conduit anywhere or any clipped / tidy wiring which I would expect to see. Were you given a wiring diagram and information handover file? Thought not!

A dead cell in battery is the problem here. There is not much you can do. The whole battery should be replaced under warranty as it should not die within 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Agree with graememk and reklamos. 42.4V is too low a voltage. There's probably a dead cell or two in there as suggested by the 0V. Ask them to come back and pronto.

Have they not come back yet?

Nope. Terrible to deal with.

Small claims court or a complaint to the SEAI.

You where sold a pup. I'm sorry for your troubles.

I have been on to the SEAI already.

BER cert not done yet so they haven't been able to claim grant yet. Only leverage I have at the moment

• Advertisement

I agree. I would also try battery manufacture for warranty assuming it is still with in it.

Contacted the battery people as well. Haven't heard back from them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

go legal. small claims isn't that onerous a process and is cheap.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The boss man said he would give me a call tomorrow.

How did that call go?

Didn't turn up

Threatened the Small Claims court this morning. Some arrived 5 mins ago. Let's see how this plays out.

You deserve better service than this, hope it works out for the better.

First time they have acknowledged the fault. Battery has been taken away to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Did you buy recycled battery packs?

Advertisement