Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods

• 20-04-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭

https://screenrant.com/shazam-2-movie-ending-video-david-f-sandberg/

Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu have signed on as the DCEU film's antagonists. Mirren will play Hespera, while Liu will portray her sister Kalypso.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods has seen its release date pushed back multiple times over the past year due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it currently stands slated for June 2023. Despite that two-year-plus gap between now and the movie's release, production is expected to begin next month. Levi has already begun his training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The ubiquitous pointless teaser;

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Filming has wrapped on the sequel to the best DC film nobody remembers (or remembered to watch). Maybe it was just low expectations being exceeded, but I am looking forward to seeing Sandberg's follow-up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Might get some kind of teaser trailer at DC FanDome next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They're doing a sequel to the 1997 Justice League of America film?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lol, that took a minute.

Just had a wee check and Shazam made $365 million from a $100 million budget. Not too bad, I'd presume projections weren't that high given the property's obscurity. But the it's DC so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oi! I really liked Shazam! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Be interesting see how it goes. In the comics Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel and his family names came from that, like Mary Marvel, captain marvel jnr etc

Obviously the comics and film have now moved onto calling him Shazam to avoid confusion but still unclear what the family is called in the films and comics.

I thought I saw Mary called Mary superhero? Maybe that will be the marvel family nicknames now?

• Advertisement

It looks "bigger" in its scope than the first film. Hopefully the core appeal and themes haven't been lost trying to accommodate all the splashier FX and bombast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The "kids" have grown up a lot, the core concept of a boy turning into a ma will soon be moot.

I like the look of it. Yeah I thought the kids were grown up a bit too.. but I kinda felt ok about it. Felt good they didn't try to fluff that somehow.

I think this was another CoVid stalled shoot, so like Stranger Things I guess we have another growth spurt.

The director, David F. Sandberg, runs a YouTube channel that's quite interesting as he's often quite candid about his process; his little videos about how he achieved "professional" shoots with DIY solutions back in his bootstrap days have been fun.

Here, he breaks down his own trailer and its constituent easter eggs. It's quite cool to hear someone down to earth talk about their work quite openly. I hadn't realised the most-excellent video-game some of ye might have heard of - iconoclasts - was made by Sandberg's own brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Whatever you might say about the film, there arent many directors who run such channels and openly discuss their movies in such a frank and honest manner, refreshing and v enjoyable, could watch these all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that was interesting. I did see him say somewhere before that a scene in the first one in a shopping mall accidentally got the crew. They only discovered later and it would have been very expensive/difficult to re-shoot. So they hastily CGI-d in some shopping bags etc to make them look like shoppers. That's some clever thinking. I love that kind of problem solving. (And I did find the first film very entertaining. Especially the relationship between Billy/Shazam and his foster brother.

A distinctly serious tone in that trailer, which would be at odds with the more comedic edge of the first film. Odd decision given this is a sequel so people would (presumably) know what they're getting into.

I remember in the first film's thread, there was this user who was really angry and upset with the Shazam promos, picking faults with the canon or tone. Kept posting - a lot - with English that suggested they were far from a native speaker; I do find myself wondering if they ever watched Shazam in the end - and what they made of it. Can't recall the username but it was a busy thread because of them, then they disappeared.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looks like this might open with an opening weekend around -50% less than the original movie. Maybe superhero fatigue is real?

• Advertisement

More like this has had bugger all promotion and buzz, while Shazam 1 was a modest surprise that exceeded expectations. In that it was, and remains, the least bankable DC property of the current stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Which (may be) a pity. I really enjoyed the first one. The kids were entertaining (And I typically hate kids in movies. Annoying little toerags 😀) And Zachary Levi has a good comedic touch. I say "Maybe" because this has being sitting on a shelf for quite some time and I know there was some later tweaks to entwine it in the (Now abandoned) DCEU.

IMHO, there is no doubt there is Superhero fatigue but also, I don't know did the first one actually make a bazillion dollars. I mean obviously it made enough for a sequel but I always thought it was the "small" film that done good due to engaging cast/storyline and good word of mouth (If small means prob 120+ million to make)

If it's an entertaining film, able to capture the fun of the first and it does poorly, that's a pity.

For reference, the first film made €366 million off of a 100 mill budget (so says boxofficemojo).

So not exactly a hit that kicked the doors down here; rather a sleeper hit that did ok but rated well with audiences. But never quite etched itself into the superhero zeitgeist either so a sequel always had a very tough job.

I like the director though so hope he does well from this; he seems very self-effacing and down to earth, his YouTube channel really revealing and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Didn't the first one have Pierce Brosnan voicing an evil worm in the post credit sting?

I feel sorry for the kid playing Billy, the trailers for this have been very Levi heavy.

Just back from seeing it in the IMAX. That was good a solid build on top of the first film.

I was laughing a lot and they definitely included some more heart as the undercurrent.

There's a mid credits scene and an end credits scene. The mid credits for DC, the end credits for Shazam!

Did she really say...

Motherf.... on the Unicorn??!?! 😲😂😲🤣

So then..

I was jaw dropped when he died. All the feels. I thought they swung Wonder Woman into the story really well. That dream in the middle! 😁 Don't know if that means the door remains open for Gal Gadot but it was nice she turned up.

I think from only the trailers I saw the best kept secret was the third sister Anthea. Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu did fine. The did the solid DC combat and I wasn't expecting anything too harsh to happen to the kids.

With that mid-credits and the Peacekeeper Squad showing up.. I think that has Shazam! in the DC future.. at least I'm guessing anyway. I just hope they keep it fun and hearty.

While Billy had solid heart in this one. I think they kindled Freddys well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems like its not going to do well financially

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen this today and it's really good. Lots of laughs and some great scenes in it and the cinema was near enough full too and all this on Mother's day.

It flew buy. I barely noticed the time.

Very enjoyable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looks like this is gonna be a big flop; it is on course to not even match the studio's own projections. On course for 30 mill as against the already pretty limp 35 projection. Yikes. Another dead series walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The only ones of the remaining pre Gunn films that weren't going to be dead in the water is The Flash I think, and even then that has obvious things against it.

The first Shazam was a fun curious little film but even then it wasn't a juggernaut at the Box Office. The only thing that can save Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 is crazy word of mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Watched it and only fair. Not as enjoyable as the origin (though Zachary Levi still as good as before) with an over-reliance on CGI and an under resourced script, with some really cringe scenes (Unicorns)

Advertisement