Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do councils zone the usage of existing commercial properties?

• 15-10-2021 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

So guys,

I'm looking at a commercial unit (read: shed), which could be useful to me.

Question is how can I found out what it can be legally used for?

In the UK there is various designations for permitted use on properties, for example, B1 is light industrial which would cover most types of workshops, garages etc..

Do these designations exist in Ireland. If I bought a unit that has been used for storage in the past, and then started opening up as a garage to customers, would there be an issue.

Is a call to the local council any use?

Where does the law sit on this?

Thanks a lot guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two issues here:

1: Zoning usage varies council by council. Check the Local Area Plan, if its outside an LAP area check the county dev plan.

2: You will probably need change of use permission regardless,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks L1011

So that's ultimately my question.

You say I would need to apply for change of use. What are the different uses?

Is there a list... because like I say in the UK there are specific designations. Does something like that exist in Ireland.

Thanks

Conor

Advertisement