Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halloween kills!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

gmisk wrote: »
    Trailer is out...shows a little too much as usual but really enjoyed the recent one

Showed an awful lot really, basically gave the whole film away, I enjoyed the recent one too so still looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Anybody see it yet? Any comments? I loved the first one, and I'm waiting until I'm up in Dublin on Tuesday to see it at The Lighthouse Cinema. Can't do regular cinemas anymore for movies that I'm hyped to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am heading to it on Sunday in the lighthouse.

At a glance...reviews do not look great....but we will see!

Enjoy! Keep me posted :) I think it looks really good. It'll feel a bit unsatisfactory because it is the middle chapter in a trilogy after all, but I think they can do some new things to keep us interested, such as involving the other residents of Haddonfield, and even getting Michael's mask off for a while. It's looks a lot better than that lame Scream 5 trailer anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Just back from it, really enjoyed it. If you liked the last one you will like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh great.

I like the last one a lot!

Looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

A truly awful movie. Anyone associated with it should be ashamed. Talk about milking the shite out of something. I would love an interviewer to be straight up and ask Jamie lee curtis what the hell she was thinking doing this trash. Ruining the good name she and the original Halloween movies had.

And i can't believe you know what happened at the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No killing that bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

JLC got a nice pay cheque out of this, she doesn't care. She generally looks down on the horror genre, but she'll always be back for some cold hard cash every 20 years, promote the hell out of the film and then badmouth it a few years later.

I honestly admire her for it!

And you're right, this film is trash, but Curtis was in Halloween Resurrection, which is the true nadir of this series, so she's not ruining anything with this! 😁 (not to mention Rob Zombie's Halloween).

In her defense, she was contracted to be in Resurrection and was probably glad she didn't have to be in another one for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

I usually have high treshold for for trashy horror / slasher movies but yeah , this was a bit **** and was very disappointed.

I thought the first movie looked great - gorgeous cinematography- so for that alone, I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Most slasher stories are cack anyways, so I'll just enjoy the Halloween/autumnal vibes and kills :) BTW director David Gordon Green has signed on to direct a new Exorcist trilogy, and also he's directing HBO's new Hellraiser series. He's really becoming the king of horror reboots! Not sure if Danny McBride is involved with those, but I have a lot of goodwill towards these guys since Eastbound and Down/Kenny Powers (although the last season of that was terrible, and probably only done for the money). I don't know if there are any Eastbound fans here, but for me the funniest moments in Halloween were the scenes featuring Eastbound's Mammy (the woman who shows the podcasters Judith Myer's grave) and Kenny's TV rival from the show (the guy who plays the sheriff) - they were such OTT ridiculous, characters in that show that seeing them in a serious horror movie jarred and made me laugh out loud.

At least they didn't cast Danny McBride as Michael (in the show when his ex-girlfriend April tries on a Kenny Powers merchandise mask, he tells her that she looks like a retarded Michael Myers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely wretched steaming pile of dung. I normally have a lot of tolerance for silly slashers and I thought the last one was pretty bad but admittedly watchable, but this is so obnoxiously next-level braindead with a singular focus on violence.

They need to just let the franchise die. You'd get more milk from a fly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not gonna bury it like some on here, compared to some Halloween movies it's the godfather.

There are kernels of an interesting horror movie in there (mob mentality, turning Myers into the Joker) but yeah, a fun bloodbath with a paper thin story that serves as a bridge between the first and last movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭sonic85

I enjoyed the last one but can't say I enjoyed this too much. Biggest issue for me is that there's no real stakes. Not really sure where they can go from here. Some scenes and dialogue were really poor - verging on parody at times. It'll pass an hour and a half easily - doesn't overstay its welcome but overall its not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Apparently ‘Halloween Ends’ will be left with a twist, so of course, things will continue forever ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it earlier and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Cracking start and the pace doesnt let up for a moment. I honestly thought it would be terrible so my expectations where rock bottom, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be and personally I thought it was way better than the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked

the use of the Halloween III masks.

Why do they never think to decapitate and/or dismember him? Hard to kill after coming back if he has no arms, legs or head. Instead they leave him with his weapon of choice in his back despite knowing he's hard to kill.

And with the emergency services all turning up at the house, how come none went to where Michael was? Unless the scene at the house was later and the scene with Michael coming back took place right after Karen left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

the biggest crock of sh1te ever,how do the get away with this scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

As a long time fan of the franchise and someone who really liked the last one - this was an absolute disgrace.

An abomination from start to finish. If you like competently made movies you will not like this piece of sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

$50 Million opening domestic weekend. For this type of movie thats pretty impressive, especially under the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As someone who generally enjoys Halloween movies. I didnt enjoy this one , just dont think alot of the elements worked all that well. The mob mentality aspect in particular i found contrived and poorly implemented and scoured the film of any atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I thought it was just ok. A little disjointed.

The interesting themes from the first one weren't brought forward which was a shame. The theme of trauma and PTSD and how it affects the next generations wasn't really continued.

Too many characters introduced and not enough done with old characters. Maybe if they had just introduced Tommy as a character and he combines with JLC. But introducing the 3 others from the first film was too much.

JLC didn't have enough to do.

I thought the mob mentality was an interesting concept but not well executed. Was it a parable for social media, Trump supporters storming the capitol....

I didn't like the final mob scene at all, frustrating really.

I didn't understand the meaning behind "Micheal Myers wasnt looking at Haddonfield through the window, he was looking at himself".

The part in the flashback where the cop says he knew Myers as a kid was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The key to horror is suspense, not gore or violence.

John Carpenter was a big fan of Hitchcock and got suspense perfect in the first Halloween, which is why its considered a classic and is the best in the franchise, despite having tiny budget.

Some of it has the type of creative genius that comes from young people on a budget who are forced to use imagination to create tension and suspense.

Remember the scene where Myers mask in the shadows slowly comes into focus.

It still scares me now even though I'm an adult who's seen it many times.

Likewise Silence of the Lambs gets suspense perfect.

Does Halloween Kills have any scenes of suspense? A few but none memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I hate that they completely removed the Michael/Laurie connection. In the original he definitely has some connection to her as he takes a keen interest from the moment she drops off the keys. He is very interested in her, he follows her around repeatedly. In 2018, granted the doctor brings them together but there didn't have to be a total write off of the connection. Like if Michael was really just bothered about his house he could have not gone through the forest to Lauries compound, broken into the house and toyed with them. Either he wanted to go to the Myers house or he didn't. It's supposedly this driving force for him but in the last one he wasn't arsed! Total stupid retcon.

They should have had Laurie virtually incapacitated at the hospital while the mob ran off to hunt down the wrong guy. Leaving the hospital completely vulnerable to Michael.

Michael somehow gets to the hospital and Karen and Allyson have to defend Laurie the same way she defended them in the last one. Shes completely defenseless after her operation. Karen and Allyson know that Laurie must live if they ever want to have a chance at killing evil in the future.

Karen sacrifices herself in the ending to ensure Allyson and Laurie get to safety, setting up the final movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah having Michael's whole driving force be

that he wants to look out a window/at his reflection is a bit stupid

Saw it yesterday. I thought it was equal parts brilliant and awful :) It had characters doing the most stupid things, and the plot was ridiculous, but it also had probably the most brutal, terrifying version of Michael Myers yet. There were some great shots and imagery throughout (Michael emerging from the fire especially) and the low-key scene where he stalks Lindsey was the best scene in the whole movie. Terrifying to have that f*cker walking after you! More of that and less mob scenes would have been great. I also think Michael's mask looks great; it too has aged and become battle-scared like the man behind it. What's wrong with the movie is obvious so I'm not going to dwell on that; so many stupid, stupid moments and it was a very uneven movie. Michael always killed one on one, but since the end of the last movie when he killed the cops in the cop car to now, he's getting more brutal. Laurie couldn't stop him, and a mob couldn't stop him because they don't know how to kill. Michael does!

I really liked all the flashback scenes to 1978. Very well made, and captured the look and feel of the first movie. The Donald Pleasance look-alike was great too. If they do shoot forward to 2022 in the next one, I'm not sure how they are going to justify Michael being on the loose for so long, unless he gets captured again? I can't imagine him slowly walking around for four years. He is where he wants to be: back at the Myers house, so if they want him, go there. I have a theory that Michael didn't kill the mob/Karen. I think they beat him senseless and the rest of the movie is a fantasy of his. Even the way it was shot looked different and dreamlike. I'm guessing the cops turned up and prevented the mob finishing off Michael and took him back into custody. Even if it was real, surely it's not that hard for an army of cops/FBI officers to pick the guy up. I know it's a far-fetched movie, but technically Michael has only been on the loose for a few hours, so the cops/townspeople were unprepared for Michael, but with time they'll figure a way to take him down (a bullet to the head might help!).

I'm a huge Halloween fan and I loved it.

It was ridiculous but in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s absolutely appalling. One of the worst “big/cinema “ films I’ve ever seen.

the plot, the acting, the setups. There’s so much to dislike there,

• Advertisement

Yikes. I watched it at home, I perhaps agree that it didn't feel like a cinema film but that's some harsh criticism.

Advertisement