Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If successful at interview how long should you normally wait?

• 15-10-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

How long should you normally wait for outcome of a job interview if you have been successful?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

In my experience the successful candidate is contacted later same day or within one working day. Some public service/semi-state might keep you waiting 2 working days so for example if interview on a Thursday might not get word until Monday .

For medium to high level jobs expect a call within one day to max 2 working days.

How long is a piece of string?

In my experience it varies greatly.

Ive experienced everything from getting the job offer over the phone while I was in the lift going down straight after the interview, to a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

Would you say that if you have interview at beginning of week, if you don't hear by the end of the week, that you can assume you've been unsuccessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've had successful interviews where I waited a week.

In my most recent interview (for a management role), I received a call the next day.

I interviewed someone for an entry level position today and they were given a formal offer 4 hours later.

It depends on the type of company and work too tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I'd say no hard and fast rules.

I've usually been offered the job by the end of the next working day.

Sometimes if it went on for a long time and I didn't get the job I've wondered if I was maybe their second or third preference and they were waiting on acceptance from someone else before telling me no. Don't know if that's a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

20 months is the longest I've ever waited.

But that was an outlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve been offered a job within hours of being interviewed and accepted the position, in fact it was driving home from interview on one occasion ...

I’ve also been contacted 3 weeks after being interviewed... I’d been interviewed for and accepted another position in the meantime so I turned it down...

the professional thing in my view is to inform the candidates at the time of interview as to what the process is and what to expect...ie.... “we are interviewing up until the 14th, and hope to be making offers some time around the 20th..”

If you meet the majority of specifications on the job description except for, say, one of them, would this rule you out for consideration? What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Generally no, unless someone comes along with all of the required experience/qualifications AND outperforms you on interview.

The management role I was offered the next day? I was less qualified than other candidates, and did not have the required experience. But I outperformed them in interview so I got it.

Thanks. I interviewed for a role where I met all requirements except one, at beginning of this week and heard no response from same, so far, and don't know if it would rule me out of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

How critical is the missing skill? If it is a core part of the job, it may rule you out.

Not having heard back the same week doesn't mean anything. Did you ask what the next steps/timeline would be?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

None of us can give you answers to the questions you are asking because we have not knowledge of your situation nor the organisation you were interviewing for.....

If you want to know how the procedure will go, you should have asked for an outline of how they expect to proceed with their decision during the interview. Beyond that you might expect to hear from them within a few days if it is a priority for them or perhaps week or two if it is not so urgent or you are not their first choice and they have offered the job to someone else and they are waiting for a response before they get back to you.

Likewise with the job profile criteria, some employers come with a shopping list that they know will not be met and they just pick the best candidates to interview from the applicants available. In other cases, they might not have got sufficient applicants meeting the criteria and include a couple of other candidates to make up the numbers.

The main thing is that you got an opportunity to make your pitch and you will just have to wait and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's interesting when the interview is more important than skillset and experience. I've seen that a few times as well. I wouldn't say that always works out. Though that's true of anyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you get to the interview stage people are deciding if they like your face and they want to have you around. It's human nature. In third years I never heard any decision maker say, I don't like the person, but his skills are good so I'll take him.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The good guys always win is rarely true in real life.

I accept that personality and social, people skills are important if you have to have a working relationship.

But we've also met those people with no personality but who are excellent at what they do.

At least I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

It can vary , I have had the same as posters above, got calls on the way home from interview. In my current gig I was 2 weeks waiting and heard noting.

I emailed the recruitment company looking for feedback on my interview and then I got a call saying they had offered me the role a week previous but the lady dealing with it was on holidays and thats why they were delayed getting back to me .

Interviews are panful and waiting on reply's is even worse.

Advertisement