Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaped serial killer lynched by angry mob

• 15-10-2021 12:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Earlier today in Kenya an angry mob of villagers beat and lynched Masten Wanjala after they discovered he was hiding in their village.

The 20 year old had been arrested in July and had been in Police custody in the capital Nairobi since then. He escaped yesterday during a power cut and somehow made his way back to his familys hometown. His parents had disowned him so he was hiding in another building but suspicious villagers flushed him out and attacked him. They did not call the police until after he was dead.

He had confessed to the murder of 10 boys since 2019 (and is suspected of at least 4 others), and took the police to various body dump sites. They had all died from either strangulation or head injuries. He had posed as a football coach in order to gain their trust.

Mob vengeance served on a sick individual. I'm not sure what the Kenyan justice system would have done to him.

Comments

Probably get a two year suspended sentence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

If he is guilty of those disgusting murders he got exactly what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I’m sure nobody much will feel any sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't automatically assume his guilt.

Anyway guilty or innocent mob justice should not be condoned.

It's all very well to comment from afar but what if it happened to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Good enough for him. I won’t be losing sleep over a child killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a clue at the end of the BBC link hinting there may be more than meets the eye in this case.

We are privileged to live in a stable democracy, not perfect of course but light years ahead of many countries less fortunate.

It's easy to rush to the keyboard to approve of beating to death as a punishment for someone far away who was not convicted of any crime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

3 police officers on duty, a sergeant and 2 deputies, have been arrested over his escape. Detectives investigating said he could have only gotten out of the cell, and police station, by the front door. Nothing in the cell was interfered with, no broken bars or vents etc.

According to Kenyan media the police defence was that he swapped tshirts with a prisoner arrested for disturbing the peace who was bailed shortly after being arrested.

Weird case anyway but even if one were to speculate that the police forced a confession out of him the fact remains that he directed detectives to gravesites and 5 bodies (so far) were recovered. That speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s so nice to see how the same mob mentality is alive here and celebrates lynching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't agree with the lynching but neither do I feel any sympathy for him.

I do believe in the case there is no doubt whatsoever (as is the case here) the state should have him executed.

edit: Norway would put him in a psychiatric unit <rolls eyes>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why don't you say how lyncing is wrong to the 10 boys' mothers. After their kids all had horrible deaths. At the hands of a serial killer.

The police and judicial system had their chance and let him go

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Why don't you say how lyncing is wrong to the 10 boys' mothers. After their kids all had horrible deaths. At the hands of a serial killer.

You can make that argument for every major issue. Death penalty, abortion, etc. You can find people with heart wrenching stories. Like the mothers here. And this is why I find it so difficult to have strong firm unbreakable views on these things like so many people have. I would think that the guy should not have been lynched and it was a terrible thing and the lynch mob should be prosecuted but if I had the boys mothers in front of me and I could see and feel their pain, I'd feel differently and I can see myself condoning it. If it was my child, I know for sure I'd condone it. Same thing with the death penalty, abortion and many other issues. It's impossible for me personally to take a strong stance for or against on many issues. I seem to be unique in this way as many of my friends take firm stances and never seem to budge. I can't quite understand that. I guess it's just not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

No great loss to Kenya or the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nothing like a genuine feel good story.

I wonder will young boys still go missing and turn up murdered, even after this man's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

Interesting note on the two pictures above about the story.

In the first he is in the back of a police/prison van wearing an Everton football top which is clean.

In the second picture taken while in custody (mug shot) there appears to be a noticable amount of blood now on the same shirt and a nice little slash on his left cheek!!!

Guilty or not it looks like he got a bit of a battering at some stage in custody

Post edited by Killinator on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

While this guy took police to bodies and was almost certainly guilty, lot of peopme confess to crimes they haven't committed; some for their own reasons, some who have it beaten out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean once you start threatening people's lives their confessions are worth very little. Who knows what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s an entirely different issue and not the topic here.

I won’t lose any sleep over some random person lynched anywhere, but sickens me is that it is being celebrated whilst other killings are condemned. The double standard is laughable.

Advertisement