Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Drills/Games

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

My go to clubs for approaches are:

100 yards - 50 degree or soft wedge

80 - 90 yards - 70% sand wedge

50 yards - 60 degree

30 yards - 60 degree or sand wedge depending on the shot

chipping - I’ll use a 9 iron for a bump and run or 60 degree depending on how my eye sees the shot

My 50 degree is the club I use the least. I try and avoid using it as much as I can to be honest. 100 yards with a sand wedge is doable but I have to make a full swing and I just feel I lose a bit of control with a full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I mostly used my 52 wedge from inside 100 yards unless I had to go slightly higher I'd use my 56.

However I have been doing a drill on the range where i hit 3 balls to a target at 30 yards, then 3 to 60yards and then 3 to 90. I run this for 15 mins and change between my PW (47), 52 & 56. Have figured the following.

90 yards = flighted 56

60 yards = 1/2 swing 52

30 yards = 1/4 swing 56

Open face and using the bounce.

Gona try work in 45 yards and 75 yards into the practice now too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭OEP

No club specific tips but you just have to practice and know your distances. Know what a half swing with 50 does, with 58 or whatever else you have etc. And you have to commit to the shot, most people mess up when they're indecisive and that leads to a duff or skull. Inside 50 start thinking about using the bounce too. You're off 8 so you have the ability, it's mostly about being confident and committing to the shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i used to do same

changed irons. couldnt do it with new pitching wedge

50- 100 yards

54- 75 yards

58 - 60 or less

huge difference. went from 18 to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Sounds like a good drill which i'll give a go at our club range.

However i'm wary of practicing all winter on a mat and then when back on grass next Spring the club just digging into the turf. And in turn exposing too much of the bounce on a mat will see me hitting thin ones all session. Almost impossible to hit a fat one on a mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I play predominantly Links Golf anyway so think the mats replicate the hard tight lies anyway.

I also put a towel roughly the width of 3 golf balls behind the ball so any that would usually be fats you get the instant feedback of the club catching the towel

Advertisement