Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shed in Field

• 15-10-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The owner of the field behind my home place has decided to put up a shed right up against my mothers hedge. its not a big shed but very high, the hedge is about 10ft and this is above it , I've looked online and I'm unsure if this would come under farm exemptions or not ?

Just to add, there is no planning permission for this, it wont be used to house animals either.

Cheers

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depends on the use, distance between it and any house and distance from other farm sheds. They can be exempt up to 7 m high. The usage is the most important factor in determining if it's exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

thanks , its about 35m from the back of the house and my best guess would be storage of machinery or hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I know farmers in my area throw up sheds all the time and I've even seen a new green field milking parlour built without planning permission so the farmer most likely won't have given much consideration.

I'm not familiar with exemptions but I would expect there to be a distance the shed has to be away from a boundary fence at a minimum to comply with any planning or exemptions, especially considering the height. Farmers obviously will jam it up against the ditch so they don't have to waste ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's some leaflets available and this one on agricultural buildings should give you an idea. https://www.opr.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Planning-Leaflet-9-Agricultural-and-Farm-Development-The-Planning-Issues.pdf

The relevant text is ...

"Type 4: A store, barn, shed, glasshouse etc., not exceeding 300 square metres in floor area and not used for housing animals or storing effluent, provided that the total floor area of all Type 4 structures within the farmyard complex (or within 100 metres of the complex) does not exceed 900 square metres"

Advertisement